Stray Gave Birth; Questions About Kittens

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we took in a stray about 4 weeks ago. She had been coming by for a couple weeks before we decided to take her in. Dont worry we went to the humane Society and she is not chipped, we also asked all our neighbors and no one claimed her. About 2 weeks ago I noticed she was getting pretty wide and that her nipples had gotten quite large. As I came to find out these are both symptoms of pregnancy. Fast forward to today I notice some crusties near her nipples and tried to express milk and a yellowish clear liquid came out, colostrum is my guess. Her behavior today is odd as well, she is still eating her normal amount just a lot slower and she keeps sitting down and then bolting up like something has scared her. This is odd for her cause the past week she has literally slept most of the day and when she moves its pretty slow. The strangest thing though is that she keeps scooting her butt across the rug, I have never seen her do this before. Should I be keeping a closer eye on her? Do you think these could be weird signs of labor? I have no idea when she became pregnant so I have no idea how far along she is. I really appreciate any and all comments or suggestions, I have never had a pregnant cat. O and I think I should mention we are getting her fixed ASAP and all the kittens will be fixed before they go to their new homes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be signs of pre-labor or early stage labor.

She may be scooting her bottom on the floor if she has tapeworms. Have you de-wormed her yet? Strays often have worms.

If her mammaries are beginning to produce then she will have kittens soon.

Have you made a nest for her?

Spay her when the kittens are 8 weeks.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also buy some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) and start putting some out for her now and continue giving it to her as long as she is nursing the kittens. The KMR will provide her with the extra fat and minerals she will need while nursing. Also kitten kibble and canned food would be a good thing for her. And for the kittens once they are weaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have made her a nest and she is getting wet kitten food now. I will go and buy her some KMR asap, can I find this at any pet store?. Also I was unable to de-worm her, the vet advised against it. I think maybe I will keep her in her back room tonight that is where her nest, littler box, food, and water is. I am so anxious for her I want everything to go well, and I know there is not much I can or should do when it comes to her giving birth.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no expert- I've had only one cat who had kittens. But I think you are doing well.

I've seen the KMR powder at my local Pet Smart. I've read on TCS that there is also a liquid KMR available, but the powder form is considered superior.

There are many knowldable people on TCS. If you have a question, just ask!

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heading to the store this morning for the powdered KMR. No kittens last night. She is very restless this morning and did not eat much. Im nervous she will have them while im gone, i promised my kids we would go to the lake.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also she is having small musousy stools, is this normal before labor. Also shes not cleaning herself very well. I think maybe her belly is getting in the way but im not sure.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which is a deworming that kills all types of worms? I have noticed that each de wormer just kills a certain kind of worm. Which is the most common worm that targets kittens?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kittens usually have round worms. They get them from moms. And tape worms if they are exposed tp fleas.

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her babies last night, 4 total. My new question is how often to newborns nurse? And does mom have to be with them 24/7?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Newborns nurse frequently and sleep a lot.

It’s okay for mom to take short breaks.

How is mom doing?

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom os doing better than i expected she is quite attentive when they cry. I worry about one kitten in particular ut had a hard time figuring out the nursing thing and seems confused when searching for the nipple. It doesnt help that the other 3 push it around any advice on how to help him/her latch better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put the kitten directly on the nipple and help hold it there.

You can also put the kitten to a nipple when the other kittens are sleeping.

If the kitten is not getting enough milk, you’ll need to syringe feed it with formula every 2 hours until it is stronger.

Here is a helpful link:

Syringe Feeding

Ccy72007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The babies are all doing amazing she is a great mommy! But she is not taking good care of herself. If i dont make her eat and drink she wont, and yes i am giving her kitten food and KMR. She also hasnt used her litter box in almost 24 hours, i know this because i clean it out every morning. Im wondering what i should do? Like i said shes an amazing mom but like a lot of new human moms is forgetting to take care of herself...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be there so she knows she can leave her babies with you for a while.
Talk a lot in a friendly voice.

Is there anything causing she thinks babies not entirely safe?
So she must stand guard 24/7?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How about trying some Cat Attract litter, or even a little unfertilized potting soil, that might also help her.
You could try some quietly played classical harp music, or there's an app called Relax My Cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds stressed, especially if it’s nothing medical going on.

Does she ever get a break from the kittens? She needs it!

Five week old kittens are busy. I know by this age the pregnant stray I took in had begun leaving her kittens downstairs with me while she headed upstairs to nap on my bed away from her children.

Try giving mom a break by letting her out of the room for a couple of hours each day. And do spend more time with mom.

I suspect she is suffering from stress, boredom, and depression. She needs a change of scenery!

C Ccy72007