Strange Red Spot on Cat

squawk31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While my cat was grooming herself I noticed a bald spot on her front leg. Upon further investigation I saw a red spot on her skin. It's not raised, so I know it isn't a lump, but its still concerning me. For background, she's an indoor cat whose about 9 years old. We don't live with any other animals and she hasn't managed to slip outside recently. She was grooming the spot when I noticed it, but this is the first time I've seen it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to snap a picture. When she's standing I can't see the spot at all, the fur around it perfectly covers it up; but when she's laying down with her legs stretched its noticeable. Money's a bit tight currently, should I take her to a vet or could this recover on its own?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it's hard to answer your question since it's impossible for us to know what is causing it. It's possible it's a bug bite, which might go away on it's own, or it might be something else which might need some medication. I'm sure you can wait for a few days and just keep an eye on it to see what happens. If it seems to really bother her, grows in size, etc., then she probably should be seen by a professional. Hopefully it will go away on it's own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squawk31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it's hard to answer your question since it's impossible for us to know what is causing it. It's possible it's a bug bite, which might go away on it's own, or it might be something else which might need some medication. I'm sure you can wait for a few days and just keep an eye on it to see what happens. If it seems to really bother her, grows in size, etc., then she probably should be seen by a professional. Hopefully it will go away on it's own.
Thank you for the reply! Since its only visible at a very certain angle, keeping an eye on it will be difficult but I will try my best. I think your advice is the prefect middle ground. Here's hoping it disappears!