Strange happenings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's whiteish/yellow (kinda like puss) surrounded by a clear orangish liquid and dries dark.  When it's gouping up his third eyelid gets red and a little inflamed, as well as a thicker layer of liquid on the eye which, if we don't keep the eyelids clean, will cause his eye to seal shut.  When he's not actively gouping up the redness/liquid/inflammation subsides.  It kind of goes in waves every 12-24 hours.  Then of course there's the sneezing/head shaking that goes along with it.

Without bloodwork even the vet was stumped as to what it was since the first round was accompanied by a fever.  Though I suspect it's a herpes URI. Round two is milder and no fever and it's starting to clear up again so I'm not horribly worried. 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds more like a URI than Herpes. I wonder if he could be allergic to something? One of my cats has a pollen allergy that gives her sneezing fits every spring.

Allergies can take a while to pinpoint though.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Definitely not allergies since it responds to antibiotics. 

Herpes is a URI, there's a great article on URI's that explain the main causes and differences in symptoms: 
Sorry, of course it is. I meant it's not something that could be treated with antibiotics, whereas other URI's could.

What does your vet think about treating Scotty? Does he want to try a different kind of antibiotic? Are you going to get blood work done in the future?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As of this morning there's almost no new gouping so I think we're in the clear for now.  Alpha Kitty is up for a new job so if things work out we're going to get testing done on Mama, Scotty, and Sissy to determine answers to a couple unknowns.  (Mama's vomiting, Sissy's unusual gate, Scotty's FIV status)

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So you know how feral kittens are supposed to be, you know, feral?

This one came up to me almost right away to get pet, I call her Delilah (it lives in the nearby crawlspace)

This one was running away from me terrified.  30 minutes later and after he saw Delilah getting pet he wanted in on the action.  I call him Sampson

This kitty appeared out of nowhere as I was sitting with a black DSH that was trying to hide in the shadows.  It wanted pets before it went into a nearby yard and snuggled up by the door... she looks ready to pop any day.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I don't know why I haven't looked at this thread before, but what a story! So far I've only read the first few and last few pages, wow!

I did see that you've had trouble with prices of routine things like de-wormers and all that. And, well, I don't know if Canada has stricter limits on farm animal supplies. . .but find a farm store! We have Tractor Supply Co in the States, there must be a Canadian equivalent. For de-wormer, get a big bottle of pyrantel suspension horse de-wormer, it costs about $20 for me. Of course you need to pay attention to the dosage, but I'm sure you're used to that by now ;). If they don't have that, you can use Safeguard for goats. Well, you could use the other Safeguard formulas but they're not as easy to dose. Again, you need to research the proper dose, no biggie. Safeguard is the same as Panacur, and pyrantel is the same as Strongid. We're able to buy vaccines at TSC as well, except for rabies. Idk if Canada is stricter about that though.

For tapeworms, this is a little harder to find. Most pet stores will sell Tapeworm Tabs, which are fine, but cost about $7 each (here). Cheaper than the vet but not super cheap. But, if you can find praziquantel sold "for fish", that will work just as well, as long as you dose it properly. It's called Fish Tapes, and it can be a little hard to find. But definitely cheaper than other options! You can get antibiotics without a prescription this way too, although I only recommend that for people who are very experienced with dosing and illnesses. It's also possible to buy Terramycin eye ointment OTC in the States, if you can get it, it's a good thing to have around in case of an eye scratch.

I have 23 cats inside :D. And now 7 outside. So I've figured out how to do it pretty affordably by now! If you need any more tips, just ask.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those are great tips.  In Ontario things are highly regulated and pretty much only available through vets.  I found a good one who will give it to me near cost.  Alpha Kitty just got a new job at Wiley & Sons so affording the meds should no longer be an issue.  Yay!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new job!!! Do you think there is any way to trap, fix, and rehome these new "feral" kittens?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  And yes, I finished the TNR course so I could get free trap rentals to do just that.  Right now it's the politics game though as there's a woman doing TNR work in the area already so I don't want to step on her toes.  Just trying to see if I can help her and get these guys fixed at the very least. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does our Mama-In-Waiting have a safe, comfy place to give birth?  She does look ready to literally explode with kittens...Um...she should be inside away from predators (stange toms, dogs, etc.)?  Oh my.  Perhaps a secure little Mama Cat Cottage?  Never mind.  You're doing so much now, I just get weepy over the mamas.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't know.  I sent the picture/location to the TNR lady so that she's aware (she just had another cat deliver on Mothers day).  I'm really not prepared/experienced enough to deal with kittens just yet, I'm just gearing up to do our first TNR

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Honestly, I don't know.  I sent the picture/location to the TNR lady so that she's aware (she just had another cat deliver on Mothers day).  I'm really not prepared/experienced enough to deal with kittens just yet, I'm just gearing up to do our first TNR
Good enough!  Situation handled.  And I'm so glad that you and Alpha Kitty are developing a network of support in dealing with these ferals.  Bless you!

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we had a monumental event here.  Junior, out of nowhere, approaches Scotty, gets within 6 inches...

...and slow blinks!  He then flops on his side and lays there as Scotty falls asleep.  Of course when Scotty got up Junior gave him a whack but that small interaction tells me they'll be friends in no time.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news!

I don't think you ever completely avoid scuffles with male cats. My boys will still swat at each other from time to time but not with any real malice. If Scotty and Junior can nap that close to each other I think you're making real progress.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful!  For the first year after our most recently adopted guy joined us, he and the resident alpha male were hostile, sometimes to the point where I had to use a broom to break 'em up because they were a rolling ball of fury.