Strange happenings

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Having seen your pictures of the spraying I have to say how much I admire your patience.  I'd be at my wits end by now, it's so nice of you to remain calm and collected when faced with this moat of pee.

A few things that come to mind. (Not actual solutions, just things that might alleviate the situation a little)

You mentioned that you use bleach to clean with. This masks the smell of urine, but as bleach contains ammonia to cats it smells as if another cat has sprayed there. You could try cleaning with an enzyme cleaner, which breaks down the components of cat pee and neutralizes the smell. I've heard Nature's Miracle is a good one. I use Fizzion, which also works well.

A few of my boys had a power struggle last year. It took a while to calm things down and get them to stop spraying, but one thing that made it easier to clean and reduced the spraying was baking (aluminum or tin) foil. Cats don't like to walk on it and if they spray it they get splashed with their own pee. Not suitable for every surface, but maybe try taping some sheets of tin foil up in places that get hit a lit and see if it makes a difference.

I'm with you on Felliway-is-too-expensive. I used it when we first moved the colony two years ago and it did seem to help. However the diffuser start to smell like melting plastic after a couple of uses and the refills are only available as expensive imports. These days I use an oil burner with lavender oil. I'm not sure if this actually calms the cats down or not, but it makes the house smell nice and I've heard that fleas don't like lavender. I don't use it directly on the cats, I just have an oil burner in one room so that the smell of lavender can waft around the house.

Maybe some of these idea would help?
I can see a little black critter on the pavement and something tabby with huge eyes up against the fence. What is that? Time to call Monster Quest?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a pretty thing...but be strong!

I have to tell you my favorite spraying story.  This is 100% true, and happened to a dear friend in Chattanooga, Tennessee, when I lived there (before moving here to NC...should have stayed where I was!).  Anyhow...My friend, Debbie, and her husband adopted her Mom's cat when Mom had to go into a nursing home following a bad fall.  Now, Micah was a gorgeous, 2 year old full Tom...Mom didn't want to "spoil all his fun."  Let me say in her defense that she was a Tennessee hill woman, and they have very different views on animals, in general.  Now, Debbie did have Micah fixed very quickly, but before she was able to do so, he managed to spray half her house.  One day, we were sitting there and Micah backed up to the wall to spray...RIGHT IN FRONT OF AN ELECTRIC OUTLET.  Before we could grab him, he let fly, and the resulting arc blew him halfway across the room.  He lay there for 10 seconds or so, got up, shook himself, and LOOKED FOR ANOTHER OUTLET!  We made a flying trip to the nearest store for child-proofing caps for the outlets.  Even after neutering, he sprayed the sockets for a week or so, hoping...

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Mamanyt1953  That's the funniest story I've heard in a long, long time! I am literally laughing out loud. As soon as you said  he backed up to a wall outlet, I knew what was going to happen. That was quite a charge he got!

In mom's defense, I have to say that my mother used to say the same thing about our male cats - "Let him have some fun."  It wasn't much fun for my favorite tom, who, after I left home, came home one day after a fight with one eyeball hanging out. They put him to sleep. Some kind of fun.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thrilled to say that the old attitudes are dying out, and we're taking far better care of our animals now.  Dad wouldn't neuter our big gray tom, who spent half his life fighting with male bobcats and winning...there's a bunch of gray bobcats in NW Florida even after all these years.  Hunters come across them on occasion.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMC!  We've always spayed and neutered all the cats in our care (plus all the cats who venture into our yard/onto our land), and one neutered boy, a big blue prince, had a "thing" for one of his sisters which persisted post/spay and neuter, so I called our wonderful doctor (vet) and told him.  His response?  A chuckle, and, yes, "Let him have his fun" ;( .  I was assured he was "firing blanks".  

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, admittedly, I buy it in the gallon size and that lasts a long, long time, so I'm not really sure when what we have now was bought.  But another good one is ZeroOdor, which I haven't seen in stores but you can search it.  If you're in the US, you should be able to order it online and get it shipped to you.  It's kind of expensive, but it's worth it.  We haven't had great luck with Fizzion, btw.  But our tried and true for years enzymatic cleaner has always been Nature's Miracle.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle has always been great for us!

I had a cat who was diabetic and so he constantly had to pee. Before he was diagnosed, he started acting strange and peeing on random stuff in our house. We used nature's miracle on everything (even dried areas, you just have to make sure to really saturate the area) and he never peed in those areas again.

We now have 3 more cats, and one of them was peeing on the side of our covered litterbox. She would go into the litterbox and basically spray the inside above the lip of the bottom part of the box, so it would leak out and soak into our hardwood floor and we wouldn't find out about it until we got home. I would always completely saturate the area in nature's miracle. Hoping that it would deter them from peeing there again (I thought they were just peeing outside the litterbox for some reason, and for a while I thought the NM wasn't working anymore). After we found out that the covered litterbox was the problem (she was just uncomfortable using it) we got a new larger uncovered one and placed it in a different room and then proceeded to soak the area where the old box had been in NM. Since then we have not had a single "accident" and the cats are no longer peeing on the floor.

Also, I'd like to add that that was just about 4 months ago that we got rid of the covered box, and I had been using a brand new bottle of NM just for cats, so it was the new formula that I was using.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good to know!  btw, a long time ago I bought 2 HUGE, TALL litterboxes called, POTTY JO, and I have them still.  Those cats who love to "stand and deliver" are who these boxes were made for! 
 IDK if they are still being made, but they are excellent.  Another solution for this kind of problem is buying those large plastic storage boxes from the "big box" stores -- you know the one I'm talking about.  They're inexpensive and you can use with or without the lid.  Cutting a door in the front makes for easy access.  

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

This is good to know!  btw, a long time ago I bought 2 HUGE, TALL litterboxes called, POTTY JO, and I have them still.  Those cats who love to "stand and deliver" are who these boxes were made for! 
 IDK if they are still being made, but they are excellent.  Another solution for this kind of problem is buying those large plastic storage boxes from the "big box" stores -- you know the one I'm talking about.  They're inexpensive and you can use with or without the lid.  Cutting a door in the front makes for easy access.  
The Rubbermaid totes are best for this, I've found.  The Sterlite ones tend to crack after awhile. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing major to report.

Not sure if I mentioned this but we've been able to accurately age Junior, he's ~10 months old.  He has absolutely inexhaustible energy - we've been playing with them daily and he'll go for over an hour and still want to play & annoy the other kitties.  He's getting a bit better with Scotty - not as many crazy fights but he's still fearful and ambushing.  Scotty is still sick, he's not bad but his eyes are still gouping up a little every so often & he's sneezing a fair bit.  Mama shows no interest in play, is still the boss, is generally aloof, and always very sexy.  He has taken to sleeping in the closet strangely.  Sissy is a lazy girl who loves the couch and sunning herself on the patio, drinking from the faucet, and demanding pets.

I completed a TNR "course" yesterday which was really just an excuse to get a piece of paper that will let me get access to free trap rentals.

The spraying has continued - the battle to clean exhaustively starts this week.  I'm armed with 11.3 L (3 gal) of Nature's Miracle we're going to go all out on the 1700+sqft of surfaces that need de-urinating.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOOD LORD!  Oh, my poor darlings!  That's a lot of urine to get rid of.  Just as well you got the 3 gallon bucket. 

Junior's age makes perfect sense.   He's a teenaged boy...that explains so very much!  He'll be much better in 5 or 6 months

As for Scotty...I have forgotten...has he been tested for the usual serious culprits?  Or is the a URI, and do you have meds for him?  It's a concern, but I know you are doing everything you can, given the circumstances.

Considering how your life has been going since your first post
the TNR certificate is probably a good thing.  Pheromones...you and Aplha Kitty must be giving off pheromones...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL

Only 5-6 months eh?  ONLY
hehe

Scotty hasn't been tested yet.  The blood/urine tests cost about $200 to find out what exactly it is.  We do know that it's brought down with anti-biotics as he was almost completely healed for 3-4 days before it reasserted itself.  I suspect FIV+ and it's just a common kitty cold that's hitting him harder than it would normally.  We've been taking a wait and see approach for this second bout.  He's handling it much better than the last so hopefully he can kick it on his own but we have money set aside to take him to the vet (yay tax refund!). 

PS, that sqft estimate is walls only, not including stairs, furniture, floors, boxes, bags, towels, aquariums, tub, curtains, or other misc items

Last edited: