Strange Foods That Your Cat(s) Like To Eat

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess as long as a cat is eating,she /he is alive and well ? I know you shouldn't feed an animal chocolate .

gundumgrrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats will pester my dad to death over the dried squid he buys bags of (He's Japanese and eats lots of weird things). And if I eat anything Ringo in particular will come and stand up with his paws on the side of my leg to look. I now know that they like chips, especially Cheetos and Ruffles, Ice Cream, French Fries, Cheerios, and oddly enough Star likes banana's and sometimes will join me in eating from dried fruits. My dad also normally has a glass of wine or beer before bed, and always has iced tea with him, and it doesn't matter what it is my cats always want to try it. He isn't as inclined as I am to share his drinks though. I haven't tried letting my new cat eat anything with me yet, but I'm sure she'll start sometime soon,

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess as long as a cat is eating,she /he is alive and well ? I know you shouldn't feed an animal chocolate .
There are a few foods that are highly toxic to cats, chocolate being one of them. Others are garlic, onions, anything with caffeine, grapes, raisins, milk or other cow's milk products, any kind of alcohol, and any kind of candy.*

There can also be serious risks in feeding your cats raw meat, uncooked eggs, and animal bones. That's why if you feed a raw diet you need to do a lot of research to make sure you are doing it properly. Liver, for example, can be a great source of nutrients. But, give too much and it can lead to a vitamin A toxicity. Canned Tuna is another one to be weary of. Every once in awhile a little bit is fine as a treat, but too much can lead to mercury poisoning. It's also very high in sodium.

The best "human" treats for your cat is a little bit of cooked meat with no seasoning added. They will love it and you don't have to worry about giving it to them!

Most of the things people talk about their cats stealing are fine if its sporadic and small in quantity. But, the toxic foods should be kept away at all costs- no matter how much they beg! It only takes a little to cause a serious problem!

*this list is NOT all inclusive! There may be other toxic foods out there these are just the ones I had on the top of my head!

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kipper likes crunchy cheezies.  My son would go around with a small bowl of them, and if he laid it down anywhere... look out!...he will lunge for it.  Pretty much have to pry the bowl away from him.  He also likes molasses - the black strap kind, and popcorn, and butter.  Ice cream of course.  And Peaches!

When I was young we used to give our cat Cindy vanilla icecream as a treat.  She'd lick it until her tongue was frozen and then we'd laugh and watch her try to lick her chops with a frozen tongue which was hilarious!   I remember I was helping my mom make supper once and I'd been grating cheese.  The grater slipped and the cheese went flying all over, and our cat was beside herself frantically trying to eat as much as possible before I could clean it up.

thejewelrybox1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat jade loves cheese and any kind of dip. We can't have any dip without him trying to come over to the bowl and lick it up! My other car Ginger (his sister) looves anything sweet! She'll go after cake, twinkies or chocolate aggressively and I have to go in a closed room so she will stop pestering me! She tries to eat cheese and bread and drink my milk too! I think she is part human! I can't eat in peace:/
My old family cat buddy (rip :/) loved yogurt.
Crazy huh?

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ryu likes sharp white cheddar popcorn, Rascal likes tuna but not any other kind of people food, Littlefoot likes red peppers pasta, alfredo sauce and any meat she can get her teeth on, Garfield likes cereal, Mr.Bubbles likes most meat except for bacon, he battles with the bacon and Gizmo....Gizmo will eat any kind of food that he can get into his mouth, including hot fries.... And the ALL seem to like fried onions but I refuse to let them eat those. Oh and butter they LOVE butter!

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nala loved popcorn as a kitten. She would steal it or beg intill she got some... She grew out of it

Smokey- Likes some meat. He sticks his nose up at most

Artemis- Nothing Human is worthy of him lol

Amaya- She eats everything and anything she gets a lot of Fries and chicken or anything that wont stain she will run after popcorn :)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kojak likes spaghetti noodles. He will scream, paw at you, and throw a fit until you give him one! :lol3::lol3:

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver has developed some peculiar tastes...he goes crazy over honey roasted peanuts. He'll chew on the bottom of the chip bag trying to get into the plain potato chips and he'll literally try to crawl into the box of frosted flakes. He's managed to escape with a few potato chips off of my plate...sneaky.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I went to the bathroom and when I got back my bagel with cream cheese was gone. My cats Bella & Thunder had the top & the bottom hanging out of their mouths running away from me.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This morning I went to the bathroom and when I got back my bagel with cream cheese was gone. My cats Bella & Thunder had the top & the bottom hanging out of their mouths running away from me.
That's Hilarious!

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

LOL! Yeah, that was one of the first tings we learned with Matt, too.......cream cheese is NOT safe unattended.......and now neither is cheese, with the new baby

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to be alert with Bella & Thunder they are thieves. I don't want them to hide the food and then it goes bad and I can't find the smell.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to be alert with Bella & Thunder they are thieves. I don't want them to hide the food and then it goes bad and I can't find the smell.
Haha just went through this!

So apparently (who knows how long ago) Ella and Diego stole a piece of string cheese. They chewed through the wrapper to get the plastic off and kicked the cheese part under the couch. Needless to say it took some smell investigation to figure out what was going on, and it was NOT a pretty sight once I found it!!!!! 

sphan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found my 7 month old kitty gnawing away at half a corn cob the other night.. Stark will eat absolutely anything he can get his paws on, even licked off some vegemite off a piece of toast the other day!

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats have a weird sweet tooth and one of them LOVES bread. I can't leave bread or anything thats sweet out on the counter when I leave the house or my cats will tear it open and eat their fill dispite the fact that they have a HUGE bowl of food that is constantly full!