Strange eye infection, BIG problem! (long)

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Poor Smudge!
I remember you posting on my thread when I was going through all my heartache with Jane, believe me I know something of what you are going through. Please feel free to PM me if you need to.

I'm still hoping that it turns out to be something else.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Kim, I can only imagine how terrible you feel. My heart is breaking and I don't even know him except that I fell in love with him at first sight.

I'm praying that it will still come out alright and that Smudge will get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I couldn't really get too graphic before, but his retinas are detached, his pupils are fixed and dilated, and the backs of his eyes classicly display what usually happens with FIP. His blood work is classic - elevated proteins, and signs that the red blood cells are starting to break up. His liver is failing and his ears are turning yellow. I'm not sure I should've left him - I want to be with him when he goes.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm So very sorry to hear such bad news. I pray that it will be something else and smudge will recover....

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kim I have been following this thread. I am so sorry that you have to say goodbye so quickly but FIP is like that, it comes like a thief in the night and steals your heart away. When a kitten is born with FIP it can mutate and just hide in the system. Six months is usually the standard time it rears its ugly head. Be sure and scrub down your house with bleach and toss the bedding, toys and litter box that Smudge used. Run the feed bowls through the dishwasher and add bleach before the final rinse cycle.

I hope you get to say your final goodbye-

kitty_cat_lover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, I'm soooo sorry! I saw this thread and read all the way and I'm so sorry about your poor kitty! I was practicly in tears a fue minute' ago! I wish there was something I could have done. it's so sad about your catnabout your cat. and, as Hissys aid, I hope you get to say goodbye.

Truely,
KCL

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kim I just saw this, I am so sorry. I am sitting here crying with you. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. Sending you cyber hugs and prayers and hoping for a miracle.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Kim, I'm so sorry abuot Smudge. I hop eit ends up being a different diagnosis. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Kim I have been following this thread. I am so sorry that you have to say goodbye so quickly but FIP is like that, it comes like a thief in the night and steals your heart away. When a kitten is born with FIP it can mutate and just hide in the system. Six months is usually the standard time it rears its ugly head. Be sure and scrub down your house with bleach and toss the bedding, toys and litter box that Smudge used. Run the feed bowls through the dishwasher and add bleach before the final rinse cycle.

I hope you get to say your final goodbye-
You know, Hissy, I can't even remember the last time he played with something. It must've been months ago. I always just thought he was mellow. I've already bleached and washed the food and water bowls, and he never had a bed to sleep in. Mostly he slept on our bed, so I'll wash our bedding as well. Thanks for everything, everyone.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
this was certainly not what i wanted to hear!
for you - although i hope & pray he can be helped, i know this is unlikely. can you go be with him?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

this was certainly not what i wanted to hear!
for you - although i hope & pray he can be helped, i know this is unlikely. can you go be with him?
I called the vet and he did very well during the night, although he didn't eat much. They are doing the test early this afternoon, and I will pick him up later this afternoon. Then a bit of waiting before the test results come back - but I just don't know what to do - I don't think he's in actual pain.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly new to the site, but wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking of you and little Smudge. He's a beautiful kitty, and is so lucky to have a meowmy like you. I hope things go well, sending many vibes your way!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here due to computer problems but I just caught up with the thread here and am very sorry about all of this. I wish there was something all of us on TCS could do for you to make this any easier but I know there isn't. Just know that we are all thinking of you and Smudge!

Kitters wants you to pass on a Kitty Kiss for him from her! And she's wants you to tell him she luvs him and he'll always have a place in her heart too!! He was a great friend she said!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smudge had his test and came home from the vet. He was VERY glad to be out of the cat carrier. All the kids fussed over him, and he ate and drank and is now resting. He also walked all over the main floor of the house to get his bearings. It's amazing how they can get around!