Strange Bird at Hummingbird Feeder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Any update on this Linda? I love birds!
Sorry, I haven't downloaded the pictures. It is a finch and it's still coming around. I love watching the birds as well. The hummers are so very tiny that I'm totally fascinated with them.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Linda, I love hummingbirds. I saw what I thought was my first one a few years ago, it turned out to be a hummingbird moth.
I finally got my feeders out early enough to attract some and they've been coming for the past two years now. It's important to have a feeder out when they come through because they usually don't come back when they the feeders are put out too late.Here's a site that tracks migration, you can see when to get the feeders ready. It's full now, but it starts out with just a few and then you can watch the spread of their migration.
Finches have such a wonderful song, I call them my sweetie birds. I love hearing them and seeing the bright yellow.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was living in my condo - my next door neighbor had plants that attract hummingbirds. That is also near marsh/wetlands and we get huge dragonflies coming by.

I was out in my courtyard watering ... when I saw what I thought was a dragonfly out of the corner of my eye. Now- don't be mad at me - but I don't like them -- and I was going to shoot some water in its direction. Then I took a good look - it was a tiny little hummingbird.
Soooo glad a took a second look.

I watched as it flitted from blossom to blossom ... and then took off like a shot!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

Linda, I love hummingbirds. I saw what I thought was my first one a few years ago, it turned out to be a hummingbird moth.
I finally got my feeders out early enough to attract some and they've been coming for the past two years now. Here's a site that tracks migration, you can see when to get the feeders ready. It's full now, but it starts out with just a few and then you can watch the spread of their migration.
Finches have such a wonderful song, I call them my sweetie birds. I know their sound and love seeing the bright yellow on my finch feeder.
Wow, that's some moth! Thanks for the link - excellent! As soon as hubby noticed a hummer at our honey locust tree a few weeks ago, we got the "juice" out for them and are enjoying the show. There are several different kinds of hummers and I don't know them all but there was a ruby-throated male there the other evening and he was spectacularly beautifiul.
The finches are very pretty. I think maybe I should get a finch feeder out for them. One of my very favourite birds is the red-winged blackbird. I, for some reason I cannot explain, love that bird.

How is Sam? Any new pictures?

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My favorites are mourning doves, I love that coo sound and I see them in pairs usually looking for leftovers under my feeder. I used to hear them at my grandparents when I was very young and it's a fond memory.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The red wing blackbird is one of my favorites too.
For me it is their song.

And oddly, I love the great tailed grackles we get here.
In breeding season the males line up on fences, throw their heads back and take turns singing, it's funny to watch.
They have their own song, but most of their showing off is done with bits and pieces of sounds they've picked up, including cellphones, car alarms and even coyote howls

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

My favorites are mourning doves, I love that coo sound and I see them in pairs usually looking for leftovers under my feeder. I used to hear them at my grandparents when I was very young and it's a fond memory.
Did you see the pictures I posted last summer of the juvenile mourning dove that came up to me outside while I was on the phone and was pecking at the laces on my moccasins? The bird stayed with me for at least 15-20 minutes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

The red wing blackbird is one of my favorites too.
For me it is their song.

And oddly, I love the great tailed grackles we get here.
In breeding season the males line up on fences, throw their heads back and take turns singing, it's funny to watch.
They have their own song, but most of their showing off is done with bits and pieces of sounds they've picked up, including cellphones, car alarms and even coyote howls
They do have a very distinctive song. Those grackles sound amazing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yellow bird at a hummingbird of a size slightly smaller than a cardinal, and did it have a greyish/black head? That would probably be a female Baltimore Oriole. They have a huge range over North America. We got an Oriole feeder a few weeks back because we found male Orioles at the hummingbird feeder. The males are orange, the females are yellow, and the juvenile males are a washed out orange.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i5070id.html

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Wow, that's some moth! Thanks for the link - excellent! As soon as hubby noticed a hummer at our honey locust tree a few weeks ago, we got the "juice" out for them and are enjoying the show. There are several different kinds of hummers and I don't know them all but there was a ruby-throated male there the other evening and he was spectacularly beautifiul.
The finches are very pretty. I think maybe I should get a finch feeder out for them. One of my very favourite birds is the red-winged blackbird. I, for some reason I cannot explain, love that bird.

How is Sam? Any new pictures?

We have the humming bird moths here. They freaked me out when I first spotted them and realized they were insects and not birds. '

We have several yellow finches here. They love fresh thistle. I have had a ton of success with my finch sock. The seed (Morning Star Farms) is from a county just north of me. They have good quality seed. It is a like pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Debbie and welcome to TCS!

This thread is quite a few years old so you probably won't get a response.  You may like to come and introduce yourself at New Cats on the Block?