Strange Bird at Hummingbird Feeder

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We set up our Hummingbird feeder this weekend. On Saturday there was a hummingbird zipping around trying to get to the feeder but there was a larger yellow bird with a thin beak drinking from the feeder. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bird it would be here in Southern Ontario?

The hummingbirds managed to get lots as well although there were a couple of them seeming to fight each other off from time to time.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The hummingbirds managed to get lots as well although there were a couple of them seeming to fight each other off from time to time.
Not a bird expert by any means, but those hummingbirds are cool little birds! They are so neat to watch. They can definitely be territorial, though. I've been dive bombed and buzzed by more than one of them!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sesame Street is filmed in NY, which isn't too far away, so perhaps it was Big Bird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Sesame Street is filmed in NY, which isn't too far away, so perhaps it was Big Bird.
It wasn't quite that large - close but not quite.

I don't remember the head being that dark (Oriole) but the breast was certainly more orange than yellow. It also had a long slim beak like a hummingbird but not as long.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Not a bird expert by any means, but those hummingbirds are cool little birds! They are so neat to watch. They can definitely be territorial, though. I've been dive bombed and buzzed by more than one of them!
They are adorable. We lined up the drinking "flowers" with the perches and they just land, sit and drink for a fair length of time. We have the camera set up in the window so if we manage to get any decent pictures I'll post them. I was at the back of our arbour cutting back some dead clematis and I could see 2 of them through the holes "fighting" at the feeder.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a site that lists types of birds that will eat from various types of feeders. Nectar feeders, according to this list, will attract:

hummingbirds
orioles
cardinals
tanagers \t
finches
thrushes
woodpeckers

I would guess that your yellow birds were probably finches?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think finches have the long thin beaks (the ones here usually have really thick beaks..but I'm not a bird expert!).
But wow, how cool!!! Too bad you didnt get a picture!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I dont think finches have the long thin beaks (the ones here usually have really thick beaks..but I'm not a bird expert!).
But wow, how cool!!! Too bad you didnt get a picture!
I agree - the beak on the finches and orioles does not look like this bird. I recall that last year we saw a bird like that at the feeder as well. We'll try to get a picture.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE hummingbirds! We just put ours out last week as well
We've had one starting to come, and I'm sure more will follow before too long. They are cheeky little things - they'll divebomb Stumpy when she's sitting on the back balcony

We mostly get Anna's hummingbirds - here's one I snapped a pic of last year

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adore hummingbirds! You're so lucky to get lots coming round. I'm not in a good location to attract them.

I wonder what the yellow bird is then?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you Google Yellow Warbler? They are the only other yellow bird I can think of. They don't really have long beaks, though.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby did get a picture and I do think it is a finch. I really thought the beak was longer and thinner but after seeing his picture I see that it is not. I'll post the picture when I've downloaded it.