Stillbirth/new Kittens With Gunky Eyes

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a two-year-old cat that escaped June 16 and returned June 23. She is very pregnant. For the last couple days she's been having some bloody show (began Thursday AM), really uncomfortable, vocal, in her box, minor contractions, though nothing consistent. She doesn't look pregnant from the top because her babies are so low and ready. I felt them all squirming into position on Wednesday night.

Anyway, I'm starting to worry about her. At what point do I take her into the vet and make sure that it hasn't been too long?

She is still eating and drinking and pooping. She's just so needy and so ready to pop. Is she ok?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How close are the contractions?

Is the bloody show pink or red?

Stage one labor can last awhile. How is she doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They aren't strong enough that I'm noticing them all, so I don't know.

There was a red streak through the mucus yesterday early morning, all I've seen today is brown and wetness.

She just seems wiped out. She wants me to sit next to her, and to sleep.
Is keeping her confined to a room (with me most of the time) the right thing to do? She wants to get out here and there, but doesn't stay gone long. Yesterday she tried jumping from table to table and slipped and my daughter had to save her. I chalked it up to exhaustion and labor brain. But I'm thinking she's probably safest confining her for now?

How long is too long though? She doesn't seem in distress really.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It all sounds normal to me. I would guess she will have them in the next 2-3 days.

Too long is when she's been in hard labor and pushing for an hour with nothing happening, or when she has abnormal discharge.

None of this applies yet. Many cats are wiped out at the end of pregnancy. It's not easy!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl! Are you able to secure her inside now? Do you plan to spay after this litter? We'd be happy to help you find a low cost clinic if that would help.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is in my room with me, and has a nest. She's always been an indoor cat, had never bolted, (she's 2) and then randomly went missing.
She will be spayed once babies are weaned, I did find the low cost center in town. Thank you.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat gave birth to a kitten at around 7:20 PM. Kitten was not alive, and didn't look right, with an eye half-open and bleeding.
Afterward, the cat settled, ate, drank, and has best resting since. I feel one more kitten, for sure. But it doesn't look like she's had any more contractions since that last birth. How long is it ok to let her rest? Do I need to run her to the vet? I'm disabled and would have to take all 3 kids, and put it on care credit. So it's really my last resort. BUT, I also need to make sure my Figaro and her kitten(s) are ok.

What do I do? Is it ok to wait it out since Fig seems ok? Help me.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she's not in distress, she should be ok. Her body will deliver the other kittens, if there are others, when she is ready.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I'm so dang emotional, I can't make a decision. How long is too long between?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's possible this kitten was premature. Did it seem very small? Was it fully covered in fur?

If this was a premature kitten your cat will continue with her pregnancy until the other kittens are full term. Could be a few more days yet.

As long as she isn't in any distress there is no need to worry. Just keep an eye on her to see if she goes into labour again.

Give the little one a name and bury him or her outside. You can plant something pretty nearby to mark the spot. It will make you feel better.

It's always sad when they don't make it, but hopefully you'll have some healthy kittens to love soon.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. The baby was developed and had hair. Looked like mama. The kitten actually seemed a bit big.
I don't know why it's making me so emotional. I can't get it together. I'm thinking I should take her in the morning?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Of course, if it will make you feel more at ease you can take her in and ask the vet to do an ultrasound to make sure the other kittens are OK.

But there is no need to worry right now. If Figaro is resting the labour has probably stopped. You don't need to worry unless she is panting or straining to give birth.

It is possible for cats to mate with several different toms, so if she was out for a week not all of the kittens will have been conceived at the same time.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl, it could be days in between having kittens. As long as she doesn't seem distressed and is not pushing for more than an hour I would just wait it out!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry about the kitten. No need to rush to the vet. As everyone has said, the others will come when they are ready and will probably be fine.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing is happening still. I've seen a few tiny spots of fluid leaking. No more contractions or labor signs. I've seen her panting about here and there, but it lasts for a few minutes and then she's down playing and eating again. She wants my full attention all the time.
Is it possible she's looking for her kitten? I think she still has 1 or 2 inside. I hate this. I'm a wreck.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, as far as her dates out (June 16-23), are we overdue?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From June 23rd she's 66 days today. Her behavior sounds normal.

If it would ease your mind, you can take her for an x-ray or ultrasound to check on the kittens.

ChCarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought her in. No more kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that mom is doing well, and sorry for the one that you lost.

You can go ahead and set her spay in the next few weeks.