Still gaining

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, maybe it's not fair BUT - on the positive side:

There are no such things as wrinkles - they are lines of experience.
There is no such thing as grey hair - it is executive silver.
There is no such thing as fat - it's famine padding.
There is no such thing as getting old - it's an annual re-adjustment.

The way I see it, you can either spend your life complaining about what's fair and what's not and worrying about your appearance - and get old and weathered anyway, or you can accept the fact that it's going to happen, continue to eat and live well and happily and grow old as disgracefully as possible. Enjoy life while you have it, because 80-90 years isn't really not long in the grand scheme of things.

I have a belly that is currently exerting it's own gravitational force on things around me, but I'm happy in knowing that it's my own fault
I'm doing things about it now, of course and I'm in the gym as often as I can be. I'm quite content to be so well insulated over the winter months

Kick back and enjoy life - if you're not happy with the way you are, then you can always do something about it.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are 26 years old and have gained 45 lbs. in eight months? I would be worried, too. Eating junk food could certainly explain that much weight gain. But did your doctor run a TSH test, and is that how s/he determined your thyroid function is good? TSH tests do not test how much thyroid is actually in your blood and people with hypothyroidism go misdiagnosed for years when their doctors rely solely on TSH tests.

Originally Posted by George's Mom

Check out PCOS (on line) and see if you fit any of those symptoms...especially if you might be Insulin Resistant (your body produces too much insulin and doesn't use it causing you to gain weight) - could be an explanation if you're eating a lot of junk food. People who are IR need to eat a "diabetic diet" and sometimes end up taking meds...
I'd check into this, too.

In any case, cutting out the junk food and eating real foods is the way to start. Good luck; I hope you get things under control.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cushing's Syndrome, perhaps??? Unless you really are eating a lot more and not exercising....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

In any case, cutting out the junk food and eating real foods is the way to start. Good luck; I hope you get things under control.
Exactly! Buy a bag of carrots, celery, apples, oranges for snacks.

Eating junk food is what I call just eating empty calories. They contain a lot of calories and fat and carbs/sugar. The nutrition info is super tricky when it comes to junk food...they make the food sound better for you than what it actually is.

I.e. if you look at Ben & Jerry's Brownie Batter
They typically come in a pint size, which is roughly 2 cups of ice cream. The nutritional value information on the size is per 1/2 cup...making one of those small "personal" servings actually enough to feed 4 people.

Total calories, per serving is 310. You eat the entire thing at one sitting: 310 x 4 = 1,240 calories.
Total fat per serving: 18 g. Multiply this by 4 and you have 72 g of total fat

Total carbs per serving: 32 g. again, multiply by 4 and you have 128 g of carbs. When you don't exercise often, carbs actually turn into fat, so that total fat content just went up.

Now compared to the average daily value (based on a 2,000 calorie diet) you've eaten more than 1/2 your daily calories in one sitting, exceeded your daily total fat intake by 7 g, and ate just over a third of your daily total carb intake (daily = 300g). That's just from eating the pint of ice cream... you still have 3 meals a day to eat plus any other snacks to eat. Keep in mind, also, though that's the average. If you're a taller person then you'll require a higher calorie intake. If you're on the petite side, you'll require a lower calorie intake per day, just to maintain your weight without a lot of exercise.

Now I'm not condoning ever eating B&J or gorging yourself into a full pint, cause then I would just be a liar
Just do it in portions. Measure out that 1/2 a cup per day and suddenly you've made that pint last 4 days and you've given your metabolism time to work on that 1/2 cup each day. If you have a bad day and gorge into the pint, couple it with a lighter meal, such as a salad (sans dressing) or just plain baked chicken and veggies.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad someone beat me to this subject! I'm 25 (I'll be 26 in April) and I'm gaining weight like there's no tomorrow. I eat fairly well (only alcohol and junk once a week, if that), I work... I don't know what the deal is. I've gained 30 lbs in the last 4 months. Of course, it probably has to do with the fact that I take an anti-depressent, but that still seems a little high...

So, I do sympathize with you! If anyone comes across a miracle diet or pill, pass it along!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm still gaining weight!!!
In May of 07' I weighed 125. Now I weigh almost 170!!! I know the fact that I'm not working and I eat a lot of junk food doesn't help but I've been off of work in the past and have never gained like this. The most I've ever gained while not working is ten pounds and that took a whole year. I've put on 45 pounds in eight months. Something isn't right. My doctor checked my thyroid and it's fine. I had a physical in Dec. and one of the nurses said it's my birth control (depo) but I've been on that for nine years. Why would I just start gaining weight from it. I'm scheduled to go in every month for a weight check. Maybe my doctor will figure something out. This is just ridiculous.
Here is something you may have not considered. I went on a medication about two weeks ago that is known for making you gain weight like crazy. (Trileptal.) I saw the doctor Friday and he asked me "are you hungry all the time" and I told him I had been eating non-stop since taking that medicine. He said "yeah, it's kind of like another drug" and winked at me. I've never had a doctor wink at me before! Anyway, even as I am sitting here typing this I am gobbling down chow. Try and remember if you had went on any other medications at about the time you started gaining. Just two weeks ago I was content with 2% milk on my cereal. Now it's gotta be half and half!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of scared it could be early onset menopause. I've been on birth control for nine years. (Basically since I hit puberty)
I know weight gain is a sign of menopause. Plus I get hot flashes all the time. Or I'll be cold, put on a sweatshirt then get hot and have to take it off. I said something to my nurse not too long ago and she said she'd tell my doctor. Nothing's came of it though.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm kind of scared it could be early onset menopause. I've been on birth control for nine years. (Basically since I hit puberty)
I know weight gain is a sign of menopause. Plus I get hot flashes all the time. Or I'll be cold, put on a sweatshirt then get hot and have to take it off. I said something to my nurse not too long ago and she said she'd tell my doctor. Nothing's came of it though.
Is it possible? Yes. There is probably a more likely cause, or a series of causes. In past threads I believe you mentioned that you suffer from depression...do you take an anti-depressant? Both depression and anti-depressants can cause weight gain. In another thread you said that you crave sugar and eat lots of it. That clearly causes weight gain. You may not have had to watch what you eat and exercise to maintain your weight in the past, but you do now, and the sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you can address it. If you want to lose the weight, you will have to change your eating habits, and from what you've said in past threads, you're going to have to change them alot. You do have to start exercising, and in an orgainized way...many of us fool ourselves into thinking that housecleaning or that type of work can substitute for an exercise plan...it doesn't. Start simply...take a brisk one hour walk every day, and work up to a more difficult regimen. The exercise will also help the depression you suffer from. You need to take ownership of it so you can tackle the issue. If you need more guidance, you can join weight watchers if it's financially feasible, or you can do some research on your own about healthy eating. You can do it, you just need to set your mind to it.