Starting My Enclosure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, the last one I sent, I have never been happy with. It is subject to change. I have never completely finished it. It is blaise.. Just not quite there yet.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn...you are a force of nature.

I love what you are doing with your new home, the enclosure, your fur tribe, your art.....

Don't ever leave us again.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one I drew in an hr..... It doesn't make sense probably to you. I was angry at the world when I created it. My mother died of lymphoma Oct the 6th. This is called cancer. The top left hand corner is the peaceful little world we all live in while unknown.......right below us the cancer is eating away at everything that is good....

She took three chemo treatments. She started out with small cell lymphoma and the first treatment which last 3-4 months caused large cell lymphoma. Small cell grows slow, large cell grows fast. She took a stronger treatment and it didn't work. She tried one last treatment and took one dose and two weeks later she died.

Chemotherapy killed her and not the cancer. She would have lived longer had she done nothing.. She was 70 and didnt' want to die and she was scared.

So I drew this the week the week she died angry as hell at the world.

Just my interpretation of the chaos that cancer causes...

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be around....... As long as hughes.net stays in business.........hee hee

Hey xo.........I posted this somewhere else but I have to show it to you...

check jj out..... He looks confused...

It shows him in all his three leggedness......... He a lovey dovey..... I probably should have covered him up a little, you think???

Jenn

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The enclosure is awesome, Jenn, and it looks like the cats are loving it!
All of your kitties are beautiful but I obviously have a soft spot for that big, handsome boy, Jimmy.
Hard to believe we're coming up on a year since you adopted him. I'm so glad he had a home and such a wonderful life with you. Can't wait to hear about how your plan to touch him goes!

Your drawings are gorgeous. You're so talented!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's gone by so fast. This last year has flown by.......zoom!!

And I'll let you know how it goes as far as touching him . But in the next few days, I am going to push him a little. Not much but just a little. I have been very patient with him due to his extreme fear of humans but I feel this is the time for him. He has come so far with us.... We take his presence for granted now. He is always around us... He never sleeps outside.

I did tell you a couple months ago, my husband picked him up and carried him in the house didn't I?. Jimmy didn't like it but he did not fight or scratch him either or try to get away. Hubby needed all the cats inside the house so he could do some stuff in the enclosure and I guess Jimmy knew Juan meant business so he cooperated... He let him pick him up. He sat in the corner and Juan had his gloves on [just in case] but Jimmy didn't scratch or bite.

hehe....... Jimmy trusts us but there is still so much he doesn't know and hasn't experienced yet. He has crossed the line as far as knowing this is HIS HOUSE and being a house cat is the way to go... He knows he enjoys the house and he knows he hates bad weather and would rather be inside. I was so worried he would not come in doors when he discovered the enclosure but out of Felix, Festus and Jimmy, .......Jimmy was the first to come in side on his own and he did it the first time it rained while we lived here.

He just hates he has to share his house with humans!

One more funny thing about Jimmy. You know I was saying earlier, Jimmy did not scratch Juan or bite him when he picked him up??? Well, he has scratched Juan in the past. But not intentional. And several times... At least 4-5 times. When Jimmy was still so afraid, Juan seemed to always pick an area of the house to do stuff where Jimmy was. He wouldn't realize Jimmy was hiding and so several times Jimmy ran across Juan's bare feet scurrying to get away from the "Big Man".... so several times I have put antibiotic ointment on poor Juan's feet where Jimmy has scratched him..hehehehee

Isn't that funny?..........oh lordy......

Juan is funny. When we were moving, I was at this place working while he was at the old place working. When I got home [where we used to live] Juan came running out of the empty house and said.. "Honey I got some bad news"....... Jimmy is under the house..."

I said "what? How did he get there"....... He thought he might have went through a wall or something...

You see, he was packing and moving furniture out while I was getting the new place ready. All the cats......except Jimmy were in a bedroom together. He searched the house and couldn't find Jimmy but he saw a cat under the house and thought it was Jimmy. It was actually Felix who looks like Jimmy........hehe. Hubby was freaked out. I went in the empty house and Jimmy was under the kitchen sink in his hiding spot. He loves lower cabinets. He knew how to get behind the drawers in that house.

And one other thing Elaine. Since we have moved, Jimmy has felt no need to cling to his old crate. I have always kept it within his reach for security but he has finally given it up....

He lived in that crate for months, at least 4-5, after we got him. In his closet cave.. wow.........he is a different kitty now. I'm so proud of Jimmy..

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I stood inthe rain today freezing and put tin on the cat enclosure's roof to keep the rain out today.

Should have ice by morning... My kitties will be snug if they choose to be outside.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm proud of Jimmy too, Jenn, and so grateful to you and hubby for your patience and the care you've given the Big Guy. I hope Juan has recovered from his scratches! That's amazing that he was able to actually pick Jimmy up. It really shows how much he's come to trust you guys. Glad you didn't actually lose him under the house!

I think given how much time has passed, it would be fine to push Jimmy a little, especially since you know him and his limits so well. Can't remember if I told you, but I put a lot of time into socializing Jimmy's little sister, Jessie (who looked A LOT like him) from another litter. She was funny little thing, would his and growl if you approached her, but then absolutely melt when touched and held. I think big brother Jimmy's got it him too.

Let me know how it goes and stay warm.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

It shows him in all his three leggedness......... He a lovey dovey..... I probably should have covered him up a little, you think???
Awww just look at him, so soft and plump.
A comfy pillow for the other kitties.

He is such a love.
You may want to submit this photo to Playgirl Kitty Magazine.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, JJ would win....definately.... All the girls kitty's just love him..... young and old. He just has some studly quality that they all want to be near...

And Jimmy....... Elly, sometimes I get the feeling "jimmy dashes" because he is just used to it... It has nothing to do with fear. It's more like Star does. Just maintaining that little bit of distance. The only difference between star an jimmy right now is that star lets me touch her when she is laying down with other cats even to the point of me nuzzling her with my face...like a head bump.. She actully purrs a very tiny purr at times....[a very svery mall purr]. Jimmy's mannerisms and where he chooses to lay are exactly how star does in just about every other way.

In my bedroom, we dont' have a door because I didn't want one but I need put up a 4 foot piece of plywood on hinges on a temp basis to keep the kittens out of the bedroom so they can't go out the kitty door. They are still small enough to get through the 2 x4 inch welded wire. All the other cats [except JJ] can jump over it so it doesn't hinder them. JJ meows for us to open it and let him through. He's a talker. But Jimmy when he is sitting in the hallway and I need to go through to the restroom or something jumps on top of this peice of plywood. It is an inch thick and he sits there while I pass right beside him. He pauses there and watches me. He knows he can quickly jump to either side so he is NOT nervous on top of the plywood. He can walk up and down the 1" board like he is an acrobat. I have some pics of him standing up on the shelf that seperates the kitchen and the living room that I need to post. He is close in size to JJ. He is not fat like JJ however. He has long legs and big bones... and looks firm. I think if I picked him up, he would actually let me hold him for a moment.

I think also if I pet him while his back is turned to me on the plywood, it would be like I used to pet Star.......when she wasn't looking. He might stay there and enjoy it... Star, if her head is turned away, and I scratch above her tail .. arches upward. She likes it but just doesn't accept the fact that she likes it.......hehe

Jimmy is a good cat.....and he knows it. He is just still holding back... But I have a feeling 2007 will be a very good year for Jimmy and Star.....

We also have candles for a possible power outage due to ice. Thank god our heat does not rely on electricity. I have tons of containers of water so the pets can drink because our well needs electricity for the water to be pumped. We have plenty of propane... If I don't write during the next days or so it is probaby due to an outage. We bought lots of canned good yesterday and we can put milk and sandwich stuff outside since the air is cold enough so it won't spoil. The freezer has lots of freezer bags inside so that stuff should be ok. If not, I will dig a hole and cover stuff up with ice to keep it from spoiling.

We'll be ok......... Where you are is going to get hit hard. You stay warm as well elly.......

Back in a flash,
Jenn and the gang

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great looking enclosure!

(Sad you had to post pictures of a murdered snake though..
)

Another person with lots of cats! (I have 30)

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn, I really think you're on to something with Jimmy's behavior and mannerisms. He's just gotten so used to reacting to situations in certain way that it's automatic. He's obviously comfortable around you and Juan after all this time and feels safe. It's also obvious from your posts that he's adjusted well to the life of house cat. You've done an amazing job with taking things at his pace. Given my experience with Jimmy when he was in foster care, I'd think you'd be fine trying to touch him. I managed to get in a few little pets here and there on his back and, while it sometimes earned me a swat, it mostly just seemed to surprise him and he wasn't quite sure how to take it.
I think he's ready for that step and I totally trust your judgement regarding what that might be.

Good luck!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The freeze in your area has been on CNN TV today.

Warm and safe vibes coming your way Jenn.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenn, I really think you're on to something with Jimmy's behavior and mannerisms. He's just gotten so used to reacting to situations in certain way that it's automatic. He's obviously comfortable around you and Juan after all this time and feels safe. It's also obvious from your posts that he's adjusted well to the life of house cat. You've done an amazing job with taking things at his pace. Given my experience with Jimmy when he was in foster care, I'd think you'd be fine trying to touch him. I managed to get in a few little pets here and there on his back and, while it sometimes earned me a swat, it mostly just seemed to surprise him and he wasn't quite sure how to take it.
I think he's ready for that step and I totally trust your judgement regarding what that might be.
Thank you Elly.......that means a lot to me......
I'm fixing to give him a little push... I better bake a little chicken. I'll bribe him for a pet. If you'll notice in the pic I posted of him under the ramp, there is a saucer there. That is Jimmy's for his snacks....hehe And on occassion he eats a little canned cat food.. they all do.

Warm and safe vibes coming your way Jenn.
And thank you too Xo.... It is pretty cold here. We work in Berryville Ar and it was not too bad there today but on the way home, we go north 33 miles. It rained all the way hard. We hit Shell Knob in Missouri and just north of there it was as though we crossed a line. The rain turned to ice in an instant. The trees were absolutely white with ice. The power lines had iches of ice hanging off them. I crept home.

And as soon as we turned on our road, the ice stopped. The rain stopped and we drove on in. Right now it is not raining. I was looking out the back door here at home when it was daylight and the mountain out back is white but the trees in our backyard are green still..

It is like the storm [so far] has went around our little house. Our power is still on [obviously] and so far no damage at our house. We are snug as we can be...

I dread going to work. We drive straight downhill for 10 miles when we initially leave. It is remote and in the forest. I just pray that nothing happens to our electricity in the next 48 hrs. Only time will tell. We have been lucky so far.

Our 4-wheel drive went out two days ago. We had it serviced and on the way home the transmission started slipping ane it you went over 15 mph it went back into nutral. So this morning when we got off work, husband bought a little chevy 4x4 s10. He put 80 lbs of rock and concrete in the back and that's what we are driving to work tonight. The neon we normally drive has studded tires in the front but it is not 4 wheel drive.

We drive 33 miles to work and it normally takes us approx 50-60 minutes with normal road conditions driving more or less 45mph. We usually leave at 10:45 pm to get there 25-30 minutes early. We are driving the 4x4 and leaving approx 2.5 hrs early tonight so we can creep...

It's gonna be a long night... In case of a situation where we get stuck or something we are leaving "lots" of animal food and animal water in the house for the cats and dogs. We have them all in... We only leave the big dogs out at night if it is at least 40 degrees with no rain. They have a great dog house also stuffed with hay that is large enough for both of them to snuggle. Muffin, the little girl. will never stay outside at night. She uses the cat door to poopie at night. She sits out there with them.. It is too cute.

I'll let you know how it all goes in the morning pending we don't get stuck anywhere. I'll think we'll be fine..

Jenn and the gang

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of snakes.......... a month ago we saw a cottonmouth. It was absolutely huge and we couldn't believe it was out this time of year. I figured they were all denned up for the winter somewhere. This one was out in the middle of the road coiled up striking at cars as they drove by. It was as big around as my arm. It was not on our property and about 5-6 miles away.. Don't know what happened to it. They are very aggressive and very dangerous.

I am dreading snake season starting up. I am going to buy some garden mesh and put around the bottom of the outside of the enclosure to keep snakes out of there OR a snake coming in the cat door.. I don't want to have to worry about snakes in the cat hay where I also lay down. I am also going to buy something to kill any grass or plants around the outside of the enclosure so I can see the fence bottom.

It makes me nervous. I told my husband we need to keep something handy outside in the event of copperheads which are in abundance out here. I have an older uncle crippled in the arms from a bite from one of them. They strike like an electric sewing machine needle. And if it's me or them, I guarantee with divine intervention's help, I will win... Predators of that type are history if we run across them by our house area. It comes down to our life. If we got bit by a cottonmouth, we might not live till the paramedics got here.

So yes, I am a snake murderer.. it is merely survival of the fittest.. And the humans at my house are going to be top-dogs. I would not even consider relocating a poisonous snake. I grew up in Tx around rattlesnakes and where we lived out in the country we called "rattlesnake hill". They are deadly.. I have lost many a dog to a rattlesnake bite.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our weather statement..........yikes...
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO
335 PM CST SAT JAN 13 2007

KSZ073-097-101-MOZ055>058-066>071-077>083-088>098-101>106-140600-
BOURBON-CRAWFORD-CHEROKEE-BENTON-MORGAN-MILLER-MARIES-VERNON-
ST. CLAIR-HICKORY-CAMDEN-PULASKI-PHELPS-BARTON-CEDAR-POLK-DALLAS-
LACLEDE-TEXAS-DENT-JASPER-DADE-GREENE-WEBSTER-WRIGHT-NEWTON-
LAWRENCE-CHRISTIAN-DOUGLAS-HOWELL-SHANNON-MCDONALD-BARRY-STONE-
TANEY-OZARK-OREGON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FORT SCOTT...PITTSBURG...
BAXTER SPRINGS...COLUMBUS...WARSAW...COLE CAMP...VERSAILLES...
ELDON...LAKE OZARK...VIENNA...NEVADA...APPLETON CITY...OSCEOLA...
HERMITAGE...OSAGE BEACH...CAMDENTON...FORT LEONARD WOOD...
WAYNESVILLE...ROLLA...LAMAR...EL DORADO SPRINGS...STOCKTON...
BOLIVAR...BUFFALO...LEBANON...HOUSTON...CABOOL...SALEM...JOPLIN...
CARTHAGE...GREENFIELD...SPRINGFIELD...MARSHFIELD...ROGERSVILLE...
MOUNTAIN GROVE...MANSFIELD...NEOSHO...AURORA...MOUNT VERNON...
NIXA...OZARK...AVA...WEST PLAINS...WINONA...EMINENCE...ANDERSON...
PINEVILLE...MONETT...CASSVILLE...KIMBERLING CITY...GALENA...
BRANSON...FORSYTH...GAINESVILLE...THEODOSIA...THAYER...ALTON
335 PM CST SAT JAN 13 2007

...UNPRECEDENTED ICE STORM WILL PARALYZE MUCH OF THE MISSOURI
OZARKS...

HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET THAT HAVE OCCURRED
ACROSS MUCH OF THE MISSOURI OZARKS CAUSED MAJOR TREE AND POWER LINE
DAMAGE. LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS HAVE DECLARED PORTIONS
OF SOUTHWEST MISSOURI A DISASTER AREA.

ANOTHER ROUND OF FREEZING RAIN WILL IMPACT THE REGION THROUGH THIS
EVENING BRINGING ADDITIONAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS TO AREAS MAINLY ALONG
AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM CASSVILLE TO SALEM. ANOTHER ROUND OF
HEAVIER FREEZING RAIN WILL SPREAD ACROSS REGION SUNDAY. TOTAL ICE
ACCUMULATIONS BY LATE SUNDAY WILL RANGE FROM THREE QUARTERS OF AN
INCH TO TWO INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

THE ADDITIONAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH SUNDAY WILL CAUSE
CATASTROPHIC TREE AND POWER LINE DAMAGE...PARTICULARLY ALONG THE
INTERSTATE 44 CORRIDOR. TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TO
DETERIORATE TONIGHT AND BECOME NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE IN SOME
AREAS...ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED ROAD SURFACES. IN ADDITION...MANY
ROADS WILL BE BLOCKED BY FALLEN DEBRIS...TREES AND POWER LINES.

MANY RESIDENTS OF SOUTHWEST MISSOURI WILL BE WITHOUT POWER FOR
SEVERAL DAYS. ANYONE PLANNING TO TRAVEL THROUGH THE REGION SHOULD
PLAN TO STAY AWAY FROM THE MISSOURI OZARKS FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

MUCH COLDER AIR WILL SPREAD INTO THE REGION AS WE HEAD INTO EARLY
NEXT WEEK. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS...AND
POSSIBLY BELOW ZERO MONDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHTS. THESE BITTERLY COLD
TEMPERATURES WILL ONLY AGGRAVATE THIS DISASTER AND CAUSE HUMAN
SUFFERING AMONG THOSE WITHOUT HEAT AND POWER.

THOSE WHO USE IMPROVISED HEATING SOURCES TO ATTEMPT TO WARM THEIR
HOMES ARE URGED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION. DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE
POISONING AND FIRE INCREASE DRAMATICALLY WITH SUCH DEVICES. IN
ADDITION...THE COLD TEMPERATURES EXPECTED FROM MONDAY INTO WEDNESDAY
MAY LEAD TO WATER PIPES BREAKING...ESPECIALLY WITH HOMES AND
BUSINESSES WITHOUT HEAT OR POWER.

LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES SHOULD CONTINUE COORDINATING
EFFORTS TO MINIMIZE IMPACTS FROM THIS IMPENDING DISASTER. THIS IS A
VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECAST AND
ADVISORIES CONCERNING THIS MAJOR WINTER STORM.

$$

CRAMER/GAGAN/FOSTER

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its not the fact that you killed a snake, but that you posted pictures of a bloody, murdered snake on a forum with animal lovers.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am an animal lover and I'm sorry I offended you...........

I love your siggy by the way. It is awesome......

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey xo......

Here's JJ, the dog hater guarding his scratching toy..... He has the floor variety.

He mostly ignores the dogs now, but you can see by his expression, he is irritated as heck........... bless his heart.

More tomorrow.........time to leave for work....

Jenn and the gang

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its alright, atleast you apologised!

Thanks! Actually, someone from the signature thread made it for me ( If I remember correctly, it was Anakat
)