Starting Cold Turkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't mind at all! You'll have to wait in line though... need to keep the phones and lights on.
Dang, secretly that's what I was going to use the money for.....shhhh, don't tell anyone, and remember you saw it here first

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allright, I spoke too soon.  I had to break out the canned food tonight...

Cricket is just poking at the Stella and Chewy's today, and I can't have him not eating.  I opened up a 24 oz tub of Rad Cat chicken this morning, which the kittens gobbled up for breakfast, then turned their noses up the rest of the day.   Cricket eats such a small amount anyway at each meal, all it takes is for one of the kittens to nose into his dish and he's done.  I have to sit on the floor with them while they are eating to encourage Cricket to eat.  He is not ill, he's just not a big eater.  I am feeding small meals through out the day, but he is so used to grazing that I have to figure out how to get him on schedule.  Any ideas? 

BTW, since he is 13, he's slowing down.  When the weather is nice, he goes outside with me and gets a lot of excercise.  Now that it's cold out, he prefers to spend a lot of time in his heated bed.  He does get up for meals and plays a little with the kittens, so I would guess his activity level is normal for a 13 year old?

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kittens would do the same to Mynah--poke a face at her dish, and she'd run away.  We started feeding her up higher, and gave the kittens a little spray if they started snooping (they are done in a flash, she chews veeeerrrryyyyyy  sllllooooowwwwllllyyyyyy.  You may want to try that, or feeding the kittens in the bathroom with the door closed, and let Cricket take his time in his normal surroundings.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our kittens would do the same to Mynah--poke a face at her dish, and she'd run away.  We started feeding her up higher, and gave the kittens a little spray if they started snooping (they are done in a flash, she chews veeeerrrryyyyyy  sllllooooowwwwllllyyyyyy.  You may want to try that, or feeding the kittens in the bathroom with the door closed, and let Cricket take his time in his normal surroundings.
Yeah, that sounds just like mine
 Cricket veeeeerrrryyy sloooooooooowwwly eating, the kittens gobbling.  Cricket licks his food like an ice cream cone.  This morning the kittens are relegated to eat their breakfast in the bathroom, and they are not too happy (what is he eating that we aren't?)  Meanwhile, Cricket is happily taking his dear sweet time licking away at his breakfast, uninterupted in the kitchen. And it's the Stellas. Great idea,  TY!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cricket may be getting some arthritis, which will slow him down. An anti inflammatory such as cosequin for cats, or even krill oil may help Cricket. Queen Eva will only eat the Stella&Chewy's every other day. I am using only one flavor, the chicken. Perhaps varying flavors of the S&C for Cricket would help.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva will only eat the Stella&Chewy's every other day. I am using only one flavor, the chicken. Perhaps varying flavors of the S&C for Cricket would help.
Cats are soooo funny, how the heck do they know it's every other day?  I swear they plot against us while we are sleeping

I never thought about arthritis, thanks for the tip. How much?  He is usually very active in the warmer months, and then starts slowing down when the weather changes to fall.  Sounds like me

The kitten have licked their plates clean and they are closed in the bedroom with me until Cricket can get a decent meal in.  I just checked, and there is still quite a bit of food in his dish, and he is in bed next to the heater taking a bath.   I am going to leave him sequestered in the kitchen to see if he finishes, hopefully he will,  evvveeeeeentuaaaaaaaaaaalyyy. 

I'm encouraged that he is now actually getting up for breakfast.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva just doesn't like the same food every day. She gets tired of the S&C if I give it to her every day.

In my experience, leaving food out for reluctant eaters backfires. They just get so immune to the smell of it that they just don't care about it any more.

Cosequin for cats would be one capsule a day. I had wonderful results for my Ootay :angel: when I put her on cosequin when she was 13. Very dramatic improvement. But I read more and more about krill oil as an anti inflammatory these days. I don't know what the dose would be for a cat, for arthritis, rather than skin and coat health.

Has Cricket had a check up with blood work lately?

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience, leaving food out for reluctant eaters backfires. They just get so immune to the smell of it that they just don't care about it any more.
I think that's the problem with leaving the kibble out, he's so used to grazing. He will only eat about a teaspoon or so of food at a time.  I have put up the food, with him still in the kitchen sleeping.  I might even have to feed him every hour? Every half hour....every 15 minutes

Yes, he just had a basic blood panel and teeth cleaning about a month ago.  Amazing, for a 13 year old, all his values were right smack in the middle
 The vet said that was incredible considering his age, not one value was low or high.  Wouldn't inflammation as in arthritis show up on a basic blood panel?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, arthritis is not diagnosed with blood work. :) The vet can do x rays, but really, just seeing a cat more reluctant to move, especially in cold weather is a pretty good indication that there is some arthritis happening. It's pretty common in cats as they age. Not all, of course.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, arthritis is not diagnosed with blood work.
The vet can do x rays, but really, just seeing a cat more reluctant to move, especially in cold weather is a pretty good indication that there is some arthritis happening. It's pretty common in cats as they age. Not all, of course.
No, not arthritis per se,  but wouldn't inflammation show up on a Chem 9 panel? 

It's not so much he's reluctant to move, I figured he was just transitioning to the colder weather by being less active than normal.  I am seeing no indication of pain (knowing they are masters at hiding it), but he does get pretty active with the kittens occasionally.  I have never thought about arthritis, maybe I should. 

BTW, I waited maybe 45 minutes and let him eat by himself in the bedroom.  He did stay and eat longer alone, and almost finished.  I will give him the rest in a bit.  Meanwhile, he is purring loudly while sleeping in the window.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may want to try that, or feeding the kittens in the bathroom with the door closed, and let Cricket take his time in his normal surroundings.
Thank you Carmina,  your advice may have resulted in a small miracle by chance...

I took your advice this morning and posted about it.  So at lunch time, I gave the kittens Rad Cat, and Cricket his Stella's.  Only Cricket was served his meal in the bedroom, and the kittens in the kitchen. (Cricket did well eating by himself in the bedroom earlier today).  Cricket licked a tiny bit of the Stella's and was soon not interested and wanted to be where the action is.   LO AND BEHOLD...Cricket! pulled open the bedroom door and went straight to the kitten's food in the kitchen.  He started eating the RAD CAT!  Nothing on it, he was just devouring it!!!! 
I think that's more than I've ever seen him eat in one setting!!!

I am heading out to vote, then it's off to Chow Down since I only have the 16 oz Rad Cat lamb left.  While there, I will buy Cricket a new toy to celebrate. 
  I am on
 right now.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LO AND BEHOLD...Cricket! pulled open the bedroom door and went straight to the kitten's food in the kitchen.
This CRACKS ME UP!  I love it when reverse psychology works on cats(not that you were intending that.)  "You can't have Rad Cat."  "Oh yes I can!" 

I had this happen once with my female cat who hates being brushed.  She was expecting  me to chase her and force her, I guess.  I just walked away and later saw her standing on the desk that I use as a grooming table looking at me like, "Well, aren't you going to brush me?"

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that's the problem with leaving the kibble out, he's so used to grazing. He will only eat about a teaspoon or so of food at a time.  I have put up the food, with him still in the kitchen sleeping.  I might even have to feed him every hour? Every half hour....every 15 minutes
In my opinion, I would not feed him more 4 meals per day, simply because if you feed him too many, he will never get retrained to eat more at one meal...feeding too many meals will just re-enforce his "grazing" like he was able to do with kibble.  And it will really tie you down.  I think eventually he will start to eat more and more at one sitting, especially now that you are separating him from the kittens.  Plus finding new things he's liking.  Yes, don't forget Stella and Chewy's has many flavors.  And you can still use toppers even on that to change it up.

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's hilarious!  You think you've created a peaceful sanctum for his dining pleasure, instead he's decided he wants whatever those kids have!

Mrs, Greenjeans has a very good point about him needing to learn to eat more at each meal.  But since you're concerned about his age and weight, if it were me I'd maybe go for 5 meals a day, even 6 at first if he'd been eating poorly all day--but tapering down to 4 as soon as I could.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Doesn't this say it all????  That's my Cricket!   I picked up chicken wings...... Cricket loves them  YAY.  He's been working on that same wing for the last 15 minutes, longer than any meal has held his attention.............

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Rad Cat lamb is a definite no no for Rufus...

It was all I had that was defrosted.  So I put out perhaps 1/2 teaspoon of the Rad Cat for each cat.  The only one who would touch it was Rufus, who almost immediately hurled.  And then he hurled several more times until nothing was left to hurl.  Poor baby, the only times he's ever puked in his life is when I gave him the lamb.  I'm almost wondering about that batch?  I bought it frozen solid and it has never completely defrosted, it is still frozen in the middle.  I should probably go smell it - gag - but I put it back in the freezer. 

I picked up the Duck Stella and Chewy's and made some for Cricket and Clancy while Rufus' stomach settled.  Cricket ate his entire portion in the bedroom! 

I picked up chicken liver today along with the wings.  I got a huge package of chicken wings that I will freeze.  No one likes the chicken liver.  I have always tried to get my cats to eat liver before and have never had any luck.  On top of that, I find it rather disgusting myself, way more so than POOP, BTW. 

Chow Down gets a shipment every Wed. and can order the Rad Cat by the case, in what I believe is a 32oz size?  If I buy it by the case, there is a 10% discount plus 2% more if you pay cash.  I can place a weekly or bi-weekly order.  I placed an order for a case of turkey.

I am noticing a big change in Cricket today after his lunch.  I will follow a 4 - 5 day meal per day schedule.  Cricket somehow finally got his appetite...I hope
  He was playing a bit with a toy by himself, what a trooper.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG - I'm not on the site for a day and look what I miss! GO CRICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I love how the unintended reverse psychology worked! :flail: I must say I'm not surprised (with 20/20 hindsight. ;) :lol3: ). Whenever we want Shel to come over, we tell him, "Sheldon, definitely do NOT come over here right now." And if we want attention from the cats, we ignore them. So yeah, makes sense! :clap:

As to the Rad Cat lamb.. is this the first red meat he's had? Feralvr's Pipsqueak did the EXACT same thing. And it's taken a loooooong time to work Sheldon up to eating red meat as 50% of the meal. I have no idea what causes it, but the reaction to raw red meat can be violent. :( Same with organs. Shel can manage ground beef pancreas in a small amount - but raw liver or kidney comes back up if more than a tiny bite at a time. Yet he does fine with freeze dried raw liver. :dk:

Many cats love the lamb - it's a fattier meat. And some love it but can't keep it down. But there are definitely other kitties on here that did not like lamb - it's just usually a reliable love fest.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 And I love how the unintended reverse psychology worked!
I must say I'm not surprised (with 20/20 hindsight.
).
As a matter of fact, I'm now considering becoming a reverse psychologist.....FOR CATS! 

I would probably make a fortune, at least enough to keep the lights on and fund the poop shell jewelry line!

Cricket is once again eating with the kittens.  They are all eating 4-5 x per day.  Cricket just needed to realize when it was dinner time. He liked the chicken Rad Cat, not today's turkey for lunch so I'm re hydrating the Stella's Duck for him. Cricket loves the duck, he is eating the whole portion I give him and almost licking his plate clean.

Yes, it's Rufus' first red meat and his first time hurling, well 2x now with the lamb.  I am going to wait a long time before even trying lamb again.  The only one who will even touch it is Rufus!  Go figure
  If I feed him lamb, and tell him to go ahead and puke, especially on the rug, do ya think the reverse psychology would work?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: I'm not sure I'd want to find out! Poor rug - poor Rufus! :hugs: Of course - whenever any of the cats here throw up, it always seems to be on the furniture, or the rug. Why never the kitchen floor? :dk:

One of Carolina's cats had a major, major issue with red meats. And any time there was an issue, they all threw up on her expensive wall hanging from Brasil (they'd run up the cat tree). I told her to cover the thing in plastic until she was through the transition. I'm pretty sure that if she actually had, no one would have thrown up on it again. :nod: