Started them on raw tonight :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the ferals are eating well tomorrow morning! :lol3: I don't know what I was thinking. Gary and I left to run a couple of errands late, so dinner-time kitty dinner was about an hour late. The one thing about raw is that you can't (well, at least I can't yet) just pull the food from the fridge and feed it right away. Only a few of them like it cold. So for whatever reason, I put an entire rabbit patty (which is 8 oz - 1 oz per cat, which is an entire meal, not 50%) in a baggie in warm water. :rolleyes: Dr. Cheng told me to take the switch slow (and I don't think she had 50/50 in mind either :lol3: ), so the ferals will get that half a patty PLUS the half can of food. (And whatever's leftover after the late night meal).
The beautiful thing about the raw is that it takes them longer to eat. So my big gobbler Billy actually finishes now about the same time Shel does, so Bill's not able to steal Shelly's food any longer. :clap:
Lazlo, Tux, and Flowerbelle needed coaxing again. Tux and Flowerbelle got fortiflora, Laz got dried liver (sound familiar? :flail: ).
Flowerbelle and Tux ate about half their food without my fussing. I wasn't in a mood to bother, so Spooky got Flowerbelle's, and the ferals got Tuxie's.
Lazlo wanted more food again tonight, about 15 minutes after dinner was over. I popped another can of EVO chicken & turkey. He ate about a quarter of it! :clap: I then let Tuxie in the bathroom - HE ate about a quarter of it. Then I gave it to Flowerbelle, and she ate probably another half ounce or so. It wasn't raw.... but I'm quite pleased that they're not turning away from the wet and trying to insist on canned. :clap:
MOST importantly, Flowerbelle has not been by yet to toss stuff off the table - which is what she does until I get so annoyed I give her kibble. :lol3:
There's about a cup of orijen left - and maybe two cups of the instinct chicken kibble. I wonder how long those will last? At this rate, I'll just be throwing them away next month! :cross: KNOCK WOOD. :lol3:
:clap::clap::clap: Lucky feral kitties tomorrow morning :D... I love it too, the fact that the raw needs to be chewed a bit!!! YAY for it slowing down Billy :bigthumb: I am sure that Shelly is very, very happy about that :nod:. Thank goodness for Fortiflora, Halo and liver treats :D It seems to me that you have this down pat and it has only been day TWO!!! Great job, sweetie, :heart3: this is just SO exciting to me :lol3:

I DO hope that dry food will just be tossed :bigmouth: In fact, it seems to me that your kids have all but forgotten about dry food :cross: AWWW Flowerbelle - I remember you mentioning the table trashing before - how funny :lol2:. I am SOOOO happy for you :jump: Can't wait for the next update :blobgreen :clover:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I LOVE IT :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You guys are doing SO great! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yep, Laurie, your situation with the Fortiflora and the dried liver sounds very familiar for some odd reason...... can't really figure out why :scratch: :lol3:
I think your crew is going to be eating 100% raw in no time sister - you watch them go! :bigthumb: :clap::clap::clap:
And Lauren, you are SOOOO right..... For so long we were conditioned to just put the kibbles plate down, and that was that.... Yes, we did research the ingredients, did our studies..... But didn't really take the time to prepare their meals, and have it with them... It's funny.... Now I feel like a "mom". You know, a mom who actually prepares the kids meals and have meal times with the kids? We have our time - we have family time :nod: And I know in my heart, I am giving them the very VERY best I can give them. In every single level.
I see it physically and I also notice in their behaviors.
Like you both, I was SO afraid of raw.... I never thought I was going to be here, doing this. I always thought this was dangerous - the fear of bacteria, salmonella.... Turns out, like everything, it was just the fear of the unknown :nod:
It is not that hard....
Sure, not perfect - I hit some walls everyday..... but I learn from those challenges, then I know what works, what doesn't, what to do and what not to....
Little things..... Like the large and small ziplock bags..... a large ziplock bag in my freezer to collect the small ziplock bags I use to warm up their meals - this way they are frozen and safe so twice a week I just toss the whole thing in the trash outside..... Clorox Anywhere is a great spray to sanitize the cutting board and the scale I use to measure their foods..... the paper towels.... having a feeding area for all of them so they eat together at the same time, on schedule.....
The cream and lotion for my hands - GREAT TIP from you guys :worship:!!! All these things that we learn as we go just keep making this experience easier and easier :nod:
I also find that writing everything down has been of great help - that to me has been great..... I know I bore you guys and sometimes I sound like a broken record, but I can go back and forth and see what each one ate and what caused a reaction, what was ok, what wasn't..... that makes all SO much easier in progressing on this "project".
All and all, I am SO happy I made this decision for the babies, and SO SO happy that you guys are making it too :bigthumb:
I can't believe what it has done for Bugsy in this short amount of time, and I know it will be amazing for Pips, Tuxie, Perla, Chum Chum and Lazlo.... of Course EVERYONE will benefit from it, but I know these guys will benefit so so much :heart3:
If I can describe in a one word, I think I would say it is a healing way to feed our babies.... it really is :heart3:
Keep going you guys..... and keep your fingers crossed for my Lucky - she is a tough cookie! :lol3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and Lauren.... Not sure about the Venison and Beef NV...... The Bison was :barf: Hope threw up projectile vomit EVERYWHERE. It smelled a LOT like organs - and nothing like meat :slant:
the Venison was not a hit at all.... Bugsy would not eat and Hope ran from it like the Devil runs from the cross
Have you tried the rabbit yet? They like the rabbit over here....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: Baa baa baa WE WANT LAMB! :lol3: Well - I don't actually KNOW if the kitties want lamb, but I want them to want it. :lol3: I told Jim we wanted some S&C lamb (it's the only one of the pathogen-free foods that has more than just liver in it: it has spleen and kidney).

Awwwwwwwwww Lauren, WHAT a sweet story! :heart3: It just makes my heart sing to hear how well Wilbur's doing now! :clap:

It's funny, Lauren, how you say we're just programmed to feed cats kibble. :nod: it's true. I switched to canned because of what I learned on TCS - but I still didn't really focus on the carb content. I was convinced bacteria and salmonella are a problem in raw, and what I learned about factory farming and food processing didn't help. :lol3: But even when chatting with our regular vet: she knows they're carnivores, she knows carbs are a problem for them, she knows they don't need vegetables or starches in their diet, she knows they're designed to eat raw... and she's not against it, but she doesn't advise people to do it.

What really made me turn the corner was the additional research for the AAFCO thread. I mean - the quality of most commercially prepared foods is just so poor! And here I am, looking at carrots and peas in just about everything. I mean - what's the point in buying Wysong and then picking out the veggies? :dk: But at least they're identifiable as such! :lol3: I figure - at least with commercial raw I'm feeding them FOOD.

AC, when you catch up with this thread at some point, I have to say, I gave you a really good run for your money in the "best food for cats" thread. :flail: I really appreciate all the time you've taken to answer all my questions and point me to more information. :nod: :hugs: And let's face it - it's not without risk. But NO diet is, and that's the real issue. Complacency. :nod:

I really wasn't convinced that raw is best. And so far as that goes, I'm still not convinced that raw duck, turkey, beef, chicken, lamb, venison IS best. Rabbit - yes. But cats aren't out there hunting cows. I'm not in love with the idea of feeding them factory farmed supermarket meat if I make my own at some point... I don't know they'd be getting everything they need because of what the meat they're eating was fed. And the cost of cruelty-free appropriately species-fed chicken, rabbits, beef, lamb, etc. is prohibitive. Now - a number of the commercially raw foods are using slightly-better than factory farmed meat, and some are using only humane sources - but quite a few are at least using appropriately-fed protein sources. And I know they don't need the 5% "other stuff" that most of these commercial raws have. It's in there for marketing, and/or to help meet AAFCO for what that's worth...

But those are the proteins we have to work with whatever format we feed. But the bottom line is... their digestive systems are designed to utilize raw proteins, and to get the vitamins and minerals they need from animal muscle, organs and bones.

We don't live in a perfect world, and my cats are indoors, not outdoors hunting. So this may not be "the best food" for cats - but it's the best of the alternatives, and that includes (not) letting them outdoors to hunt. :lol3:

Obviously two days on about 50% raw isn't going to make a difference in their behavior... is it? :lol3: Call it coincidence... but Spooky hasn't hissed at Chumley, and he accidentally got in her face earlier today. And SEVEN of them - ALL of the cats but Flowerbelle - were up front in the dash today. That has happened before... never! :dk:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But those are the proteins we have to work with whatever format we feed. But the bottom line is... their digestive systems are designed to utilize raw proteins, and to get the vitamins and minerals they need from animal muscle, organs and bones.
We don't live in a perfect world, and my cats are indoors, not outdoors hunting. So this may not be "the best food" for cats - but it's the best of the alternatives, and that includes (not) letting them outdoors to hunt. :lol3:
Obviously two days on about 50% raw isn't going to make a difference in their behavior... is it? :lol3: Call it coincidence... but Spooky hasn't hissed at Chumley, and he accidentally got in her face earlier today. And SEVEN of them - ALL of the cats but Flowerbelle - were up front in the dash today. That has happened before... never! :dk:
Yep- might not be the best food in the World, but it is quite possible it is the best food we can provide them with :nod:
I am not sure if it is coincidence or not.... I will say that Bugsy was very aggressive before the raw came into play - you remember..... He was also alone.... He would not really play or interact with the other kitties.... and that changed quite fast. I see Bugsy now having the crazies around the house - playing catch with Hope, Lucky and the ghosts :lol3: Jumping on the cat tree and o the shelves :shocker: and that hadn't happened in a LONG time - since before Hope came along :thud:
It was clearly a shift that happened after I started feeding raw...... And it happened before he hit 100%..... Why? I don't know, and can't explain.... I guess his body just works better..... Doesn't feel as bloated and heavy (even though he IS still as heavy :rolleyes:) now that he is on raw :nod:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must say how deeply gratifying it is that after all this time, and all these many, many deeply detailed and sometimes passionate discussions, so many TCS'ers have begun to realize the benefits of feeding a natural diet. It warms my heart in a really wonderful way, especially seeing so many of you writing so enthusiastically about the improvements you're observing in your cats' energy levels and behavior (not to mention litter box habits!).

LDG - Raw protein is naturally satisfying and "filling"; in fact, a cat's sense of satiety is actually triggered by the ingestion of a certain level of raw animal-based protein. So it's not surprising that you would no longer be encountering midnight munchy demands.

And how incredibly sweet to see so many of them all up front like that!!! I can totally picture it!

AC

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great to hear everyone's success stories, in real time, so to speak (meow).

It makes me realize how lucky, blessed I was that Ritz had very little problems transitioning to raw.  Like everyone, I was desparate.  I knew in my gut her eating nine ounces of Seafood flavored Fancy Feast Classic and 1/8 cup of TOTW every day was bad for her health.  I noticed a change in her fur/coat and energy level within three days of transitioning her to raw.

I fed around 10 ferals every day/evening and see them dumpster-dive, and survive.  So perhaps naivly have not been concered about food poisening.  That said, for Ritz, I am reluctant to leave out frozen raw during the day during the colder months, and won't do it during the summer when, because of a sub-par air conditioning system, it rarely gets below 80 degrees inside during the day.

One tip about writing down everything they eat:  Since I'm not Miss Social Butterfly, I write down on my calender what Ritz eats (it's a cat calendar of course).  I'm not OCDish about type of protein (chicken, turkey, venison, pork, beef, rabbit, lamb, in order of frequency/availability/sales), but am OCDish about the frequency of her BMs and amount I feed her.  I color code BMs and level of hunger so I can tell at at glance if I need to decrease bone (which she loves). 

Carolina, will you post while you're away?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and Lauren.... Not sure about the Venison and Beef NV...... The Bison was :barf: Hope threw up projectile vomit EVERYWHERE. It smelled a LOT like organs - and nothing like meat :slant:
the Venison was not a hit at all.... Bugsy would not eat and Hope ran from it like the Devil runs from the cross
Have you tried the rabbit yet? They like the rabbit over here....
You know what - I am going to return the beef after much thinking and now I remember you mentioning the beef. AND my cats all barfed :barf: on the FREEZE-DRIED BEEF from NV. I just figured the raw meat beef might be different but I don't want to chance it :nono: Might keep the Venison - just to try. Hopefully Wilbur and Henry will eat it if the cats won't. :cross: YES YES the rabbit and chicken are big hits in my house :bigthumb: THANKS GIRL :hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But the bottom line is... their digestive systems are designed to utilize raw proteins, and to get the vitamins and minerals they need from animal muscle, organs and bones.
I feel the same way - just not sure what IS the best - but do feel that heading towards raw is the BEST option we all have to offer our cats for a healthy diet. It is nail-biting right now - but so far so good over at my place.... Except for Pipsqueak - who is now sick with the "Perla" virus :sigh:..... Will post about that in the Perla thread :sigh:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what - I am going to return the beef after much thinking and now I remember you mentioning the beef. AND my cats all barfed :barf: on the FREEZE-DRIED BEEF from NV. I just figured the raw meat beef might be different but I don't want to chance it :nono: Might keep the Venison - just to try. Hopefully Wilbur and Henry will eat it if the cats won't. :cross: YES YES the rabbit and chicken are big hits in my house :bigthumb: THANKS GIRL :hugs::hugs:
Yeah..... There is nothing worst than cleaning u raw puke from your expensive heavy rugs - and it seems that they ALWAYS pick them to throw up on :lol3:
Cleaning up kibbles puke is one thing...... Raw puke is a whole other experience :barf:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:sheep: :sheep: :sheep: Baa baa baa WE WANT LAMB! :lol3: Well - I don't actually KNOW if the kitties want lamb, but I want them to want it. :lol3: I told Jim we wanted some S&C lamb (it's the only one of the pathogen-free foods that has more than just liver in it: it has spleen and kidney).
I have decided to return the NV raw beef. I just don't want to risk the barfing :barf: because they did barf on the freeze-dried beef. SO I am going to pick up some S&C lamb today... I want them to like it too :D>

:jump: :woohoo: I DO think it is the raw - because I have noticed an improvement in my cats as well. They have been eating it for a week now. Today we went 75% raw and 25% wet :woo: All stayed down and all are very happy kitties. AWWWWW I certainly hope you got a picture :pix: of your babies on the dash all together :D

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:jump: :woohoo: I DO think it is the raw - because I have noticed an improvement in my cats as well. They have been eating it for a week now. Today we went 75% raw and 25% wet :woo: All stayed down and all are very happy kitties. AWWWWW I certainly hope you got a picture :pix: of your babies on the dash all together :D
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
You know, I was studying last night, and got thinking about Pipsqueak..... I think this diet can really help his cystitis :cross:
Bugsy and Hope are peeing like firetrucks :lol3::lol3::lol3: No joke..... Their pees are just BIG. And they pee and pee.... Healthy pees, I mean, not going all the time to the litter box..... And get this - it's been a while since they drank water :thud:
Lots of pee and no water...... This diet is really hydrating for them..... which I can't help but to think it is great for their bladders - I am curious to know how this is going to affect him..... Hopefully you will see an improvement!! :cross::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
You know, I was studying last night, and got thinking about Pipsqueak..... I think this diet can really help his cystitis :cross:
Bugsy and Hope are peeing like firetrucks :lol3::lol3::lol3: No joke..... Their pees are just BIG. And they pee and pee.... Healthy pees, I mean, not going all the time to the litter box..... And get this - it's been a while since they drank water :thud:
Lots of pee and no water...... This diet is really hydrating for them..... which I can't help but to think it is great for their bladders - I am curious to know how this is going to affect him..... Hopefully you will see an improvement!! :cross::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
AW Thanks so much for thinking of Pipsqueak :hugs:. I do wish for this diet to help his bladder problem. BUT he is sick with a very bad virus now - the "Perla" virus has struck him. I was worried about this. He is not eating today - I will post about it in Perla's thread (if I ever get there :flail: )

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Got a question for anyone who feels like answering.  NONE of my babies touch canned lamb. (have tried two different brands)  Do you think this means they will not like raw lamb?  I'm guessing I should not even bother buying it, but everyone seems to really like the raw lamb.  Did all your cats like canned lamb?   Overall, what "flavor" seems to be the favorite among your cats, starting out? 

I'm still going to wait until we get back from our cruise, but my box of 100 latex gloves arrived yesterday, along with a new box of Fortiflora, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row.  Have an order still outstanding for 2 more jars of Halo freeze dried chicken in case I need to make up little halo burgers, and will pick up some Evo in the next day or two to at least start mixing in with the existing dry food to start the transition to scheduled feedings.( also as soon as we get back)

My fear?  That once they are on raw,  the boys will start jumping up on the 2nd story bannister again!  Last time Stinkpot did that, he actually fell off and scared the you know what out of both of us.  That was a year or so ago, though, and I've been seeing him eyeballing it again, and Darko has never been able to jump up there because he's too much of a piggy!  If he gets in shape, I know he'll try it! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AW Thanks so much for thinking of Pipsqueak :hugs:. I do wish for this diet to help his bladder problem. BUT he is sick with a very bad virus now - the "Perla" virus has struck him. I was worried about this. He is not eating today - I will post about it in Perla's thread (if I ever get there :flail: )
Oh no......... Hopefully it will not get him as badly - hopefully it will be just a day fluke :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a question for anyone who feels like answering.  NONE of my babies touch canned lamb. (have tried two different brands)  Do you think this means they will not like raw lamb?  I'm guessing I should not even bother buying it, but everyone seems to really like the raw lamb.  Did all your cats like canned lamb?   Overall, what "flavor" seems to be the favorite among your cats, starting out? 

I'm still going to wait until we get back from our cruise, but my box of 100 latex gloves arrived yesterday, along with a new box of Fortiflora, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row.  Have an order still outstanding for 2 more jars of Halo freeze dried chicken in case I need to make up little halo burgers, and will pick up some Evo in the next day or two to at least start mixing in with the existing dry food to start the transition to scheduled feedings.( also as soon as we get back)

My fear?  That once they are on raw,  the boys will start jumping up on the 2nd story bannister again!  Last time Stinkpot did that, he actually fell off and scared the you know what out of both of us.  That was a year or so ago, though, and I've been seeing him eyeballing it again, and Darko has never been able to jump up there because he's too much of a piggy!  If he gets in shape, I know he'll try it! 
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Nope - Hope and Bugsy Hated canned lamb, but love raw lamb - at least Rad Cat :yummy: It is for sure their favorite meat :nod:
I started with NV Rabbit, they liked it, and they love all Rad Cat - Turkey, Lamb and ok on the chicken - they are not too sure about it yet....... I think I just need to intro them a little slower :nod:
Haha - don't be surprised if you see Darko up in the bannister some time soon :clap::clap::clap: Bugsy has been going to places now that are making my heart stop from time to time - I mean...... this is no small kitty - this is a 20lb mini elephant of a cat we are talking about here :lol3:

Sounds like you have everything ready - can't wait to hear the adventures!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is any way to predict what one kitty is going to like based on what other kitties like not even based on what a lot of other kitties like. And I'm sure any canned "flavor" is going to taste nothing like the raw version so I wouldn't use that to try to predict.

Rad Cat lamb was what got Coco eating full meals of raw but none of the other 3 liked it. I'd say with mine pork was and still is (after ~4 years of raw feeding) their "favorite". 

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend a boycott of any animal proteins based on an experience someone else encountered... or even, for that matter, on what any particular cat experienced on any other version of that protein - canned, cooked, or even different manufacturers.

Look at Bugsy and chicken!

I have six cats and they all enjoy beef twice a week. I have noticed that if I run out for more than a week, when I add it back in it's almost as though they have to get familiar with it all over again - but they always do. None of them vomit on fresh, raw beef.

Rachel *did* vomit when I first starting feeding beef but it was not because of a problem with the protein. No, in fact, Rachel has a real passion for beef and was eating it too fast.

It's all about getting your cats healthy (so their systems are running without inflammation) and then getting them accustomed to variety. Even on raw, you don't want to feed just a single food; instead, buy different proteins and mixtures from different vendors and offer as many different products as you can... and that includes the occasional meal of fresh, plain whole-meat chunks.

Best regards.

AC

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It varies among cats.

Pre-raw Ritz would not eat beef, chicken, most fish except one and only one, venison; you name, she wouldn't eat it.  Only Seafood Fancy Feast Classic.

Now, she will eat raw beef, chicken, quail, venison, pork, venison and rabbit; and will even eat "straight" liver and kidney.  I'll willing to try geese if my nephew shoots one; he got me venison. 

She's not crazy about beef, so I give her a small portion of it sprinkled with some freeze-dried chicken on it and she'll eat it.  When I give her the rest of the beef, I don't have to put the fdc on it.

About ten days ago I gave her one sardine (packed in water, no added salt) for the Omega 3.  She didn't touch it.

Interestingly, the first protein of commercial raw I tried was quail.  She kind of got tired of it so I switched / rotated other protein sources.  About three months ago I found frozen raw quail and gave it to her to try; she loves it.  (And, the bones are the perfect size for her to chew.)

Have fun on your cruise!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

:clap: So exciting! Both your vacation and all the preps for switching the dry and getting ready to intro some raw! :lol3:

Mine hated canned lamb. But because I'm only feeding 50/50 for now, when we were at the store where I'm buying the raw food, he had Spot's Stew. We'd never tried it, so I picked up two cans. I had to pick out heaps of vegetables, and I was left with about half a can of food :rolleyes: , but it even smelled like lamb to me. :lol3: The kitties went nuts for it. So even though your answer was already addressed four or five different ways, there's another one for you. You just can't tell - between cooked or raw, or even different manufacturers. :D

OK. This is interesting. Gary and I got home REALLY late for their lunch. The patties I'd taken out of the freezer were still frozen - so I fed them canned only for lunch today. Everyone ate just fine... but Lazlo has been in here FOUR TIMES to pester me for kibble. (I keep giving him canned - I picked up a bunch of 3 ounce cans for these "between meals" feedings, because I want to lose the kibble). Flowerbelle has knocked a zillion things over EVERYWHERE, keeps ripping at my shirt, walking all over me and the keyboard... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did pick up S&C lamb today! :lol3: I took out two patties to put in the fridge (things are dethawing REALLY slowly in there - and that is FINE with me, I don't WANT to adjust it, it means I don't have to keep as much in the freezer as I would otherwise have to) - and even frozen, it smelled like lamb. Billy, Sheldon, and Chumley were over to the cat tree behind the kitchen counter in a SHOT, their little noses working overtime! :lol3: I suspect lamb is going to be a hit this evening. I'm about to go put it in cold water so it's dethawed enough to warm some up for dinner.

:cross:

BTW - I'm going to have to go 100% raw sooner rather than later. These bags are SO BIG, in order to rotate proteins and to have ANY room in the freezer, I need them eating 2 pounds a day. :flail: