St. Bernard puppy needs good vibes/prayers

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My sister's 10-month-old St. Bernard, Nemo, was hit by a car Friday. He's in really bad shape - his leg was almost ripped off, and he had massive blood loss. The vets gave him a 5% chance of surviving surgery. He got through a 6-hour operation, where his back leg was amputated and he had numerous blood transfusions, but he's not out of the woods yet. The vets say the biggest danger is infection, and they're not at all optimistic (one of them, bless his heart, is staying overnight at the clinic to keep tabs on Nemo's condition). So if you've got a thought to spare for a huge, slobbering, totally lovable "hulk", please hope/pray that his young life is spared. One of the kids left the gate unproperly latched, and this is the horrible result.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nemo please get better. He will be in my prayers. Such beautiful dogs. I do hope he makes it.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending get well soon vibes and prayers to Nemo.

And many hugs to you and your sister.

flea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this dog has to endure so much pain and suffering.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! Nemo is definitely in my thoughts!

Please do let us know how he fares.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I just saw this, do you have an update on the puppy for us?
Unfortunately it's still touch and go with him.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Nemo
This is the first time I have read this post, I am praying for Nemo and your sister.
I hope he makes it ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, gang, for the thoughts and prayers - they're really appreciated, and seem to be working. I just called for an update - Nemo is still hanging in there. He has a drain, and won't be able to leave the clinic till it is removed, and is begging to be taken home. He also has an infection, and is getting transfusions of antibiotics. The vets say he still isn't completely out of the woods, but stands a good chance of surviving. Because of his size and weight (well over 100 lbs., and he's still got a lot of growing to do), they want to do "hydrotherapy" once the incision is healed, i.e., have him swim a lot to strengthen his muscles so that he can bear his weight on three legs. The vets find him "unusually stubborn for a St. Bernard". Sounds like he's got a Dachshund's temperament. My youngest nephew, the one who didn't latch the gate properly, will be ten tomorrow, and isn't going to have a happy birthday with all that's going on. Poor kid. I feel sorry for him, but maybe this will teach him to act more responsibly. I just got into this subject with our 11-year-old niece on the phone this afternoon. I've got her parakeets for the next week and a half, and all she had was enough bird sand for two days and enough feed for three days when I picked them up Sunday evening. I naturally bought a 2-month supply of sand and a 6-month supply of feed yesterday, and gave the cage a decent scrubbing, but decided to give her a piece of my mind today about being a responsible pet owner. I also told her parents that it's their responsibility to make sure that she meets her obligations, which probably has p.o'd them. Not that I really care.