SS Countdown?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Some years back I had a friend living in Denmark.  I learned that when he was in the military and stationed away from his home, that he got to sample and like some things that weren't available to him when he got home. Mountain Dew and Beef Jerky were 2 such items.  Two or 3 times a year I would mail him a care package consisting of cases of Mountain Dew, Beef Jerky, Maple Syrup and some other things he couldn't buy in Denmark.  The parcel contents cost about $25, and shipping was about $60!!!  LOL 
That's about how much the shipping was on mine, maybe it was $55?  It WAS heavy.  I put everything into a decorative box which is what I think kicked it into being so heavy.  Although, several items were pretty much weight bombs also lol.  Thankfully, it didn't break my wallet but it's a good thing to share with others who may not realize just how pricey it can be.  

BTW, that's a lovely gesture you did for your friend.  I can't imagine living somewhere that I couldn't get maple syrup :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I think you can ship direct from some companies to save money as well.  Some sites like Amazon are all over the world now.
I wish I could have got the white chocolate Malteser sweets I sent to my niece in Australia last year on Amazon or somewhere coz they cost me £3 to buy and £6 to post....  light as air too coz that's pretty much all that's in them.  It was 260 grammes of sweets wrapped in basic bubble wrap package!  It was worth it though for the smile I got on our next Skype call. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AS I am in France I usually have to send overseas, and I always look for lighter things, but even then the shipping always costs more than the gifts. But I still enjoy doing it and just have to budget for it. Home-made gifts are often lighter and can give extra pleasure - the package Anne sent me one year was almost all hand-made and was wonderful. Be creative.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Angie isn't kidding about this.
No, I take my Secret Santa stuff seriously.  

I think if we ever cancel SS Angie might make headlines...  
Probably international news.   

How can you shop if you have no idea who you are buying for? The cat or human could have allergies or specific requests.
I confess, I am already window shopping.  I haven't bought anything yet, but if I come across something that I think will make a good gift, I will buy it.   I use the list as a guidelines and do my very  best to make my recipient happy, but I like to throw in some surprises, too.  

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm bumping this thread because I love to talk about Secret Santa!  
 I just ordered mango balls from the Philippines that I hope are like the ones my Santa sent me last year.  They were so good it was unreal.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just ordered mango balls from the Philippines that I hope are like the ones my Santa sent me last year.  They were so good it was unreal.  

I came across the book you sent me and read it to Xena the other day! The little grey kitten in it looks just like her :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it pathetic that I already have my first clue planned? LOL

OH and I might add, sign ups should be soon.......... 2 weeks and 1 day ago, Mooch said in about 2 weeks

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normally I've made a Hallmark Ornament purchase by now!  My problem is I haven't been able to get into a store for the Ornament catalog!  I always have to make a wish list and pare it down several times!

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I posted a few months ago. I didn't think I would have 300+ posts or be an Alpha Cat... if I remember correctly the only thing I'm missing is not being 6 months active. I'll read the above link when I'm home on my pc, but for now I was just curious, what are my chances of beig able to join now?

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like all of the requirements need to be fulfilled (300+ posts, 20 posts in the last 6 months, and having been a member for 6+ months) unless you subscribe. That's based on last year's rules though, so keep that in mind. It would be worth waiting and checking to see if there are any changes to the rules for this year once the official thread gets posted.