Squirrels Eating Catfood?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have catfood out for visiting cats and it is also regularly eaten by fox, racoons and opossum. But the last few days I have had at least one squirrel snacking out of the bowl. At first I thought he might be picking out a stray seed that found its way to the bowl but nope, he is definitely eating catfood. Anyone seen this before?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not cat food, but bird seed. I have a hanging platform feeder with whole inshell peanuts for the blue jays and cardinals. Maybe a ground platform feeder for the squirrels?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not cat food, but bird seed. I have a hanging platform feeder with whole inshell peanuts for the blue jays and cardinals. Maybe a ground platform feeder for the squirrels?
they do have their own ground feeder but anything put out is immediately taken and cached in the yard.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap cat food is mostly corn. And squirrels do eat meat too (they'll raid birds' nests when they can). So, yeah, squirrels will eat cat food. Well, they cache it anyway, who knows if they actually eat it, lol.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I get squirrels 5x a year. Lately it's been more.. They always come early in the morning, when cats are most likely to eat.