Spring-2016 Gardening anyone? What do you plant? or not?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've tried the various colored peppers also but not much luck with them, but the green ones do well as long as it's not too hot and dry. The farmers at the farmers' market always have real nice ones, green, yellow, orange, purple, chocolate and bright red, so if I want them for the color I pick up a few when the market comes around. Same with lettuce which I don't seem to be able to grow to a size big enough to eat before it bolts. We grow that in the winter but still, it bolts before I can pick it. There is one farmer who grows the most beautiful tender buttery Boston lettuce, a huge head will last me over a week and costs $1.00. I wash it thoroughly, dry it in the salad spinner until no more water comes off it and then store it in the spinner. I peel leaves off it as needed and drain water from it as it accumulates. It works really well.

When you put the peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes in the bag do you also put some kind of dressing in it or do you just let the flavors meld that accumulate from the juices?

I don't have little kids or even big ones running around but when my children were all at home I never had a problem with them eating veggies or anything else, probably because I had trained them from day one to eat everything. Sure, they eventually decided what they liked the most and what they did not care for but they always ate everything on the table. No catering to someone's likes and dislikes unless it was that person's birthday when all the favorites were served.

I don't know why some parents let their children dictate what food is served, what clothes their parents buy for them, which brand sneakers they will wear etc. I asked a coworker once why she bought these expensive jeans for her vigorously growing boys which they could only wear maybe 3 months because they were growing so fast. She said they would not wear anything else. I asked what they would do if she bought the off-brand, would they go to school naked? She was at a loss for words, then said they would wear only the brand names left and not wear the others although those were new. She did not know what they would do once they could not wear the old brand name jeans because they were too short, she would just buy them what they wanted.

I shudder to think what happens when those kids are on their own and could not afford to buy the clothes they were used to get from their parents who were by no means rich, it took two incomes to have them afford their life style which was a long way from lavish. But these kids feel entitled and their parents are not doing them any favor by catering to them.