Spring-2016 Gardening anyone? What do you plant? or not?

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles, Magnus purple coneflower is so easy to take care of. It will also spread, making it an economical choice. The only equal I have in terms of butterfly appeal is tall garden phlox. Unfortunately, whitetail deer also find the garden phlox appealing but do not bother the coneflower. I also leave the coneflower up for winter interest as the seed heads are a food source for goldfinches. I cut down last year's growth when the new growth first shows in spring.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That sounds really neat to watch!  if you do find the site again; can you please let me know?  I really like to share that kind of thing with my kids; possibly with a lesson planned around it. 

We watch a kitten cam now and I used to watch one of a watering hole in Africa and a bald eagle nest.  
If you  google "Northern Lights web cam" you find a bunch of them, ranging from Alaska to Canada, Iceland and Norway/Sweden, take your pick. I couldn't find the one I had before but any of these will do but as I said they are pretty much closed for the summer, the sky is too light due to the "midnight sun" and there isn't much going on anyway. Winter is the time to watch and it is dark early there so your kids, depending on old they are, can watch before it is time to go to bed and even in the morning before school and before it gets light in those high latitudes. 
Thanks!  I would love to see the northern lights in real life, but for the time being I'll rejoice in having a web cam view.

Well, I had bought a new rose bush to plant out front, Peace, and the day that I had planned to plant it Roger came home from dialysis sick enough that he couldn't get out of the car and into the house on his own.  Just after I got him into the house I received a phone call from dialysis saying he was sick and needed to be in the hospital, but was "resistant" to the idea, would I please see whether I could get him to the hospital?  I spent the rest of the day talking Roger into agreeing to go to the hospital.  By the time he did I couldn't even get him off of the sofa on my own; I had to call 911.  Turned out he had a blood sepsis; if I hadn't gotten him in when I did he would have died.  Instead, my new rose bush died (I would, of course, much rather lose the rose), and it's too late to get another this summer; they simply aren't being sold locally, and it's much better to get it in as early as possible so that it has all summer to get itself established before it has to deal with hard freezes.

(The good news is that last year's new bush, Love & Peace, is going strong.  I'll post some pictures once I get my camera problems worked out.)

So, now I'm switching inside, primarily.  I bought a couple of miniature rose bushes in 2 inch pots from Trader Joe's.  They were seriously pot-bound, so I transplanted them to larger pots, with good drainage, and Miracle Gro Moisture Control Garden Soil.  I gave them a good watering to start, and then watered every time the soil got dry.  They were in a room with plenty of light, though little direct sunlight.  And they simply gave up and died.  I'm wondering whether the problem is that I simply removed them from the original pots and put them in the new pots with their original soil intact -- should I have rinsed the soil away and planted them with bare roots instead?  In case it's not obvious, I've never done this before, and before I buy another miniature rose I want to know how to do it right.

Anyway, about the time the miniature roses died, I saw a nice wax begonia in a 4 inch pot at Trader Joe's, and I bought it.  It didn't even give me time to get the right soil and transplant it, it just died, period.  I'm beginning to think that, nice as Trader Joe's is, it may not be the best place to buy house plants.

I also bought a packet of catnip seeds from Home Depot this spring.  Planted some of them in a small pot, following the directions on the seed packet, with the same soil as I used for the roses, put one of those water absorbing pellets with each seed so it would be harder for them to get too dry, watered whenever the soil felt dry, and nothing happened.  They haven't sprouted at all, in over two months.  And no, there's no chance at all that they did sprout and Jasmine got to them; I've been keeping her out of that room except under strict supervision.

This is becoming very discouraging.  Does anybody have any good advice?  I clearly need it.

Margret

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This thread is giving me real garden envy.

This white stuff grows wild here too. Butterfly and moth seem to really like it.

Albert checking out the moth.

This is some of the stuff I planted.

This blue hydrangea had been damaged so it was on sale for 500 yen. I've tied it to a support and it's doing pretty well.

Most of the stuff I planted in the spring has gone to seed. I think I'm going to have another trip to the garden center to replace the old plants with late summer/autumn plants.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have an answer for you Margret. Maybe the water you have at the house is doing something funky to the plants? Sometimes people over water their plants but I don't think that was what was going on. maybe buy some bottle water and try that instead of tap water? what about your plants outside-do those have issues or is it just indoors? I don't do indoor plants very well. I have 3 pots in the bathroom and they have died a few times either I water too much or forget about them but they are still limping by. I haven't done anything with the gardens outside. I really should be weeding nightly. I just don't care lately and that's not like me. my yellow false sunflowers are dieing as we are not getting any rain. I can't afford the water as my last water bill was over $500 because I stupidly left it on all day but hey what are you going to do right?

I still have a few flowers in pots but the only thing I managed to keep alive are petunias. I got a geranium and its dead. evidently they don't like a lot of water but I water it because the dirt is dry so for now I think I will take that plant with me to the camp otherwise it will die on its own as we don't have anyone come over during that time. Its pretty much whatever is still alive is alive and if not then there is always next year.

I will try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if those water pellets are not good for plants?  I don't know what could be causing things to die like that.  I did have some stunted growth with my peppers I got direct from burpee because I didn't loosen the roots when I put them in the ground.  That was delayed by a wet May here.  I worked the soil around the base with my hands and they are growing now; just shorter than my other pepper plants.  

I think I got that miracle grow moisture potting soil for my tomatoes. The leaves on the plants look funny but I'm getting tomatoes.  It doesn't help that they were damaged from falling. But they are producing so I'm just watching and hoping they keep it up.  They are producing new green leaves too.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those water crystals work wonders for me. It keeps the pots from drying out too fast.

Miniature roses don't grow well in pots. They need to be planted outside in full sunlight. The Peace rose Margret planted dried out while she was rushing around tending to Roger. Neither of these things could have been helped - she probably didn't know about the mini roses, and there was a more urgent call than planting the Peace rose. I used to grow a lot of roses, but the growing shade and harsh winters here finished them off.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your rose luck Margret. They can be difficult. Shrub roses such as the Knock Out series are easier to manage. Hope Roger is doing well.

Norachan, We have a similar yellow wild flower here in the states, also comes in orange, called jewel weed.

Foxxycat, I sure understand not tending the garden as usual. This is my 2nd growing season without Boney Girl. My gardens look better than last year, but still not like they did when she was with me.

This is my last species of lily to bloom for the year. Speciosum rubrum. Summer is slipping away.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's beautiful!  And yes; summer is slipping away.  I'm not ready for cold; even though it's been so hot.  Cooler than 90s would be appreciated; but nothing below 55 at night please. 

I finally got my banana peppers pickled last night.  I'm still kind of stunned.  I went out to pick before a little rain storm blew through so I had DH help me.  I don't know how many pounds of peppers we picked but I have never picked so many at once!  I wish I could have weighed the bag!  I sliced them into rings for pickling so I was able to really pack them into the jars.  I ended up with 8 jars!  And I still have 7 or so peppers that have spots on them so I couldn't use them for canning.  Only 2 went into the brush pile.  

I'm hoping my mariachi peppers will pick up steam now so I can pickle a few jars of those.  But I'm WELL stocked on pickled banana peppers! 

Almost all my potted flowers are looking sad. I think the heat got to them. Even though I've been watering twice a day.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Thanks!  I would love to see the northern lights in real life, but for the time being I'll rejoice in having a web cam view.

Well, I had bought a new rose bush to plant out front, Peace, and the day that I had planned to plant it Roger came home from dialysis sick enough that he couldn't get out of the car and into the house on his own.  Just after I got him into the house I received a phone call from dialysis saying he was sick and needed to be in the hospital, but was "resistant" to the idea, would I please see whether I could get him to the hospital?  I spent the rest of the day talking Roger into agreeing to go to the hospital.  By the time he did I couldn't even get him off of the sofa on my own; I had to call 911.  Turned out he had a blood sepsis; if I hadn't gotten him in when I did he would have died.  Instead, my new rose bush died (I would, of course, much rather lose the rose), and it's too late to get another this summer; they simply aren't being sold locally, and it's much better to get it in as early as possible so that it has all summer to get itself established before it has to deal with hard freezes.

(The good news is that last year's new bush, Love & Peace, is going strong.  I'll post some pictures once I get my camera problems worked out.)

So, now I'm switching inside, primarily.  I bought a couple of miniature rose bushes in 2 inch pots from Trader Joe's.  They were seriously pot-bound, so I transplanted them to larger pots, with good drainage, and Miracle Gro Moisture Control Garden Soil.  I gave them a good watering to start, and then watered every time the soil got dry.  They were in a room with plenty of light, though little direct sunlight.  And they simply gave up and died.  I'm wondering whether the problem is that I simply removed them from the original pots and put them in the new pots with their original soil intact -- should I have rinsed the soil away and planted them with bare roots instead?  In case it's not obvious, I've never done this before, and before I buy another miniature rose I want to know how to do it right.

Anyway, about the time the miniature roses died, I saw a nice wax begonia in a 4 inch pot at Trader Joe's, and I bought it.  It didn't even give me time to get the right soil and transplant it, it just died, period.  I'm beginning to think that, nice as Trader Joe's is, it may not be the best place to buy house plants.

I also bought a packet of catnip seeds from Home Depot this spring.  Planted some of them in a small pot, following the directions on the seed packet, with the same soil as I used for the roses, put one of those water absorbing pellets with each seed so it would be harder for them to get too dry, watered whenever the soil felt dry, and nothing happened.  They haven't sprouted at all, in over two months.  And no, there's no chance at all that they did sprout and Jasmine got to them; I've been keeping her out of that room except under strict supervision.

This is becoming very discouraging.  Does anybody have any good advice?  I clearly need it.

Margret
Forget about catnip seed, buy a nice big bushy plant instead and treat it like a basil plant, pinch it to make it more bushy. There are so many seeds in a packet that nobody will ever need unless they want a whole lawn full of catnip. I kept one of those alive for three years by not leaving it where the cats could get it but snipping pieces for them every few days. Then one of them managed to get to it and rolled in it, breaking all the branches and that poor plant never did recover.

Since none of those seeds sprouted you did something wrong, most likely you drowned it.

Miniature roses are just like any other rose, they don't grow inside and not in pots. They need to be outside in the ground and get pruned just like any other rose.

Trader Joe's is not the best place to buy plants unless you are talking about orchids, they do get some really nice ones there and they are usually good quality and in good health. A good nursery is a better place to buy potted plants, there is usually a warranty in case it keels over in a short time. Even Lowe's gives a warranty of one year unless you really abuse the poor plant. I have one plant (Queen of the Nile) that I have had for 9 years now which I had bought at Lowe's in Tacoma, WA, moved it to SoCal a year later and it sits outside my front door where it gets direct sun for only a few hours and is doing great, even pushed out side shoots so that now there are 3 little trunks when I had bought it with just one...

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dragon fruit got color and three days later I picked the first one. Here they are

.   the old blossoms all dried up. Above the middle one you can see a new bud. Harves

t is 5 months.

those of you who don't know this fruit: the skin and "scales" are soft like plum skin but thicker so you can scoop out the pulp with a spoon and cube it, then use the shell like a dish, drizzle the flesh with honey - divine! or use it in fruit salad with soft fruit. Unfortunately, dragon fruit will only grow in very warm climates, any frost will kill the plant, so will extended periods of just plain cold (anything under 40F), it's a cactus! 

Don't feel bad, we can't grow cherries, apples, pears, gooseberries, currants and all the other fruit that need cold. We grow orchids but no lilacs or peonies, it all gets evened out. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles - what do you use pickled peppers for? I freeze bell pepper strips to use in scrambled eggs and soups and stews and other dishes, but can't imagine pickled peppers. I can get fresh peppers at the farmers' market just about year round, some are grown in hothouses, tomatoes also. I don't buy produce from Mexico although sometimes that is tempting but I'll wait until I can buy US produce.

I know banana peppers, but what are mariachi peppers? What do they look like, are they hot or sweet? I also know Anaheim peppers and all the hot ones which I don't want (sorry, I don't care for that hot stuff).

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@segelkatt  - Dragon fruit is offered here in grocery stores, and I've often wondered how to eat it. Now that you've given an explanation, I will try it! Another recent introduction at the store was lychee fruit. Maybe I should give it a try too.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter has been wanting to try a Dragon fruit so I bought her one a few weeks ago and she hated it. She said there was no taste and it the texture was nasty.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 just cut it in half and eat with a spoon, it has a delicate slightly sweet flavor, some people find it to be bland. There are also
                                                                                                                                                       pink and red fleshed varieties

This one was my very first  and only fruit that year when it was still growing in a pot, the next year it was too pot bound to fruit so it was transplanted into the garden and I got 7 fruit. I think the fruit is bigger now that it grows in the ground. This year the plant is going nuts. There are about 10 fruit in various stages and at least 20 more buds, it seems every few days I notice more buds. Considering that a fruit weighs about 1 pound and they sell it here for up to $10 per pound that's a lot of  money growing in my garden and I'm not surprised anymore that people will try to steal it like they did last year when I lost 3 of them to thieves. This year I put up a barrier, not very pretty but it will do the job.

I have not tried lychee fruit, it does not look appetizing to me. When I was still working I saw my Vietnamese coworkers eating those, but they were dried and called lychee nuts. The fresh ones you are supposed to peel and eat the flesh but not the seed inside which is poisonous. That seems like an awful lot of work for little to eat like having to peel cherries.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My daughter has been wanting to try a Dragon fruit so I bought her one a few weeks ago and she hated it. She said there was no taste and it the texture was nasty.
The closest you come in another fruit is Kiwi, pretty much the same texture, has tiny seeds like strawberries and the taste is very delicate. Bet your daughter likes all that hot spicy Mexican or Thai food.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's so beautiful! A few of my neighbors have white lily growing in their gardens. I'm really envious of them, but as my cats go out in the garden I can't risk growing them here.

I have to admit I found them a little bland too, but for me the best part was eating something that pretty. That lovely pink skin and the polka dot inside look so good together. And it's called a Dragon Fruit! How exotic is that

@segelkatt  Lychee are yummy! They are really easy to peel. The skin is hard so you can just split it open and then shoot the fruit into your mouth. Eat the soft white part and then spit the seeds back out again, I've been eating them that way for years and it hasn't done me any harm.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MoochNNoodles - what do you use pickled peppers for? I freeze bell pepper strips to use in scrambled eggs and soups and stews and other dishes, but can't imagine pickled peppers. I can get fresh peppers at the farmers' market just about year round, some are grown in hothouses, tomatoes also. I don't buy produce from Mexico although sometimes that is tempting but I'll wait until I can buy US produce.

I know banana peppers, but what are mariachi peppers? What do they look like, are they hot or sweet? I also know Anaheim peppers and all the hot ones which I don't want (sorry, I don't care for that hot stuff).
I put them on sandwiches or on pizza mostly.  I don't need too many jars to get me through a year.  Mariachi peppers are a hot pepper; but not too hot. I pickled some of those last year too.  Pam mentioned them on here as being hot but not too hot; so I was interested.  I have to order them as pants direct from Burpee.  They are probably 3-4" cone shaped peppers.  Pretty colors too.  Last year I had tons of peppers on the plants but the bugs were getting them faster than they could ripen.  This year their growth was stunted; so they are 2/3 the height of my banana peppers and don't have nearly as much fruit.  It's partly my fault for not loosening the roots when I planted them after the wet month.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always plant bell peppers and usually banana peppers too. The bells did not do too well early on because we had several heat waves with super low  humidity ( 30%!!!) and the fruit would turn red when they were only the size of ping pong balls and then drop off. Now we have the proverbial California sunshine weather and they are doing great. I still have plenty of tomatoes so will cook up some more batches of sauce. No Ragu sauce for me this winter. The mariachi peppers sound like Anaheim peppers only hotter.

I also make pico de gallo (fresh salsa) from tomatoes, onions and peppers and cilantro leaves, all from the garden plus lime juice. I put that in pint jars, the wide necked ones, top with a teaspoon of olive oil and put the jars in the back of the fridge to store. They last many months past tomato season. I also keep one jar on the counter, it will keep even in the heat for a few days because of the acid.

If the dragon fruit (also known as Pitaya in Mexico and Cuba) is not bright red, really a magenta color, then it is not ripe and will not ripen on the counter either. It also will have hardly any flavor. I took one to a party yesterday, just cut it in half and cubed the flesh, piled it back into the shell with nothing added. Most of the people had never even heard of it but everybody liked it, the women went crazy over it, a few of the men said it was good but nothing to write home about. Everybody wanted to know about it and were amazed that I had grown it myself and I think I have just acquired a few "best friends" who  would like to partake of some more of my dragon fruit

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE pico de gallo!  So good!!  

We eat a lot of bell peppers cut into strips. i usually buy the orange or yellow but also the red for that.  We will just cut them into strips and slice an english cucumber and get some cherry tomatoes.  They all get tossed in one bag and then I just serve the kids from that for their lunch veggies or sometimes with dinner.  They don't even look for dips anymore.  I've planted orange bell peppers the last 3 years I think; but I have never gotten a ton of peppers off of them.  The cukes haven't done well here either.  Some things are just easier to buy I guess!