Spray To Prevent Scratching Furniture

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Is anyone familiar with " WAHL Scratch Deterrent Spray " my kitty keeps scratching one of my couches and I tried many tricks to get her to stop. Different scratching posts (which she uses) covering the entire couch, water mist bottle... so I was at Walmart and found this product, I haven't heard of that brand... just wondering if anyone knows the product.
Thanks!!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not familiar with this product personally. On the reviews page on the Walmart website, it seems like a lot of people haven’t had success with it, but a few have: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wahl-scratch-deterrent-spray-for-cats/6000060459105

Something I have heard positive feedback about from other cat owners are the double-sided tape that you attach to furniture, like these ones:

SmartyKat Scratch Not Tape

SmartCat Sticky Paws on a Roll

This article has some more information: How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried the spray and she couldn't care less... she still scratched the couch ;)
The tape is my next thing to try
:thanks:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "woo hoo, there's a spray that works!" Then I saw you second post. :( Oh, well. Let us know if the tape works.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. . I know the feeling!
I'll let you know about the tape :evilgrin:

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard good things about the tape. But mostly bad things about the spray. I read somewhere that most deterrent sprays (sprays that smell- not the bad tasting sprays that deterr chewing) are going to stress your cat out a bit. Certain things of corse won’t but I know a lot of them do. So going with the tape would be a better option. You can get really reasonably priced tape on amazon. The tape specially made as a scratching deterrent is way overpriced.

I’ve had really good luck with tape. I successfully completely stopped Mia from scratching underneath a door. And she’s a very persistent cat. I haven’t found the tape prevents her from standing on surfaces that I don’t want her to stand on (such as the top of my small animal cages). However, it’s been very effective as a scratch deterrent.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape has worked very well for me. Pet Smart use to sell (and maybe still does) various sized squares of double sided tape. I put on the area the cat was scratching (leather furniture no less). Cat tried to scratch once or twice that I saw. He definitely did not like the tape. Strangely, he did not just move to another part of the couch.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard good things about the tape. But mostly bad things about the spray. I read somewhere that most deterrent sprays (sprays that smell- not the bad tasting sprays that deterr chewing) are going to stress your cat out a bit. Certain things of corse won’t but I know a lot of them do. So going with the tape would be a better option. You can get really reasonably priced tape on amazon. The tape specially made as a scratching deterrent is way overpriced.

I’ve had really good luck with tape. I successfully completely stopped Mia from scratching underneath a door. And she’s a very persistent cat. I haven’t found the tape prevents her from standing on surfaces that I don’t want her to stand on (such as the top of my small animal cages). However, it’s been very effective as a scratch deterrent.
Yes, that spray is awful... I'm taking it back!
Someone told me to use regular double sided tape but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Double sided tape has worked very well for me. Pet Smart use to sell (and maybe still does) various sized squares of double sided tape. I put on the area the cat was scratching (leather furniture no less). Cat tried to scratch once or twice that I saw. He definitely did not like the tape. Strangely, he did not just move to another part of the couch.
I'll have to try it...

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

How long did you leave the tape on the couch for?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We left the tape on indefinitely just because my cat is very very persistent and will find out that she can scratch things again if the tape is not there. You might not have to do that though depending on your cat and how persistent she is. Sometimes it just needs to be there a while until your cat gets out of the habit of scratching your couch.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We left the tape on indefinitely just because my cat is very very persistent and will find out that she can scratch things again if the tape is not there. You might not have to do that though depending on your cat and how persistent she is. Sometimes it just needs to be there a while until your cat gets out of the habit of scratching your couch.
Thanks for the advice!
I had the couch covered with thin foil and once I uncovered it she went at it again

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Feliway spray to keep Mocha from scratching certain of my area rugs and a couple of pieces of furniture of which she’s fond. I’ve been at it for eight months now, and she’s become much better about using her (many, many) scratching posts. When I first brought her home—she’s about four years old—I was misting the spots she was using daily. Now I’m down to every three days or so.

I tried the double-sided tape years ago with another adoptee, and it worked. It didn’t work this time because one of my others went around to each spot and methodically removed the tape. Partners in crime!

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
Where can I buy the feliway spray?
Maybe I can try both, the tape and the spray!

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Feliway spray to keep Mocha from scratching certain of my area rugs and a couple of pieces of furniture of which she’s fond. I’ve been at it for eight months now, and she’s become much better about using her (many, many) scratching posts. When I first brought her home—she’s about four years old—I was misting the spots she was using daily. Now I’m down to every three days or so.

I tried the double-sided tape years ago with another adoptee, and it worked. It didn’t work this time because one of my others went around to each spot and methodically removed the tape. Partners in crime!
Maybe I can try both, the tape and the spray

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops, I posted twice the same post!!
:lol: Sorry

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I bought it at Petco last time because I had a coupon. I usually buy it from Amazon or Chewy. It’s expensive but less expensive than replacing my rug, carpet or wing chair! :)

Edit: It just takes a light misting, and be sure to do it when your kitty isn’t nearby. I try to keep mine away for 10 or 15 minutes.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought it at Petco last time because I had a coupon. I usually buy it from Amazon or Chewy. It’s expensive but less expensive than replacing my rug, carpet or wing chair! :)
I'll check petsmart or pet valu, we don't have Petco in Ottawa... Amazon or Chevy that would be good too!
And yes would be much cheaper than replacing my lazy boy couch :evilgrin: thanks

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I'll check petsmart or pet valu, we don't have Petco in Ottawa... Amazon or Chevy that would be good too!
And yes would be much cheaper than replacing my lazy boy couch :evilgrin: thanks
I’m not familiar with Pet Valu, but Petsmart does carry it...at a much higher price. I just bought a new cat tree at Petsmart, and I showed them a less expensive price online. They matched it. Saved me $30!

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not familiar with Pet Valu, but Petsmart does carry it...at a much higher price. I just bought a new cat tree at Petsmart, and I showed them a less expensive price online. They matched it. Saved me $30!
Wow that's awesome!