**** Spoilers inside**** I just finished Harry Potter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Sorry to dredge this topic back up, but thought some of you might be interested in this...

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotte...p?sec=3&sec2=1

It is a webchat with Rowlings.
That was great! I have forwarded that to a friend of mine who just finished Harry - she loved the book and I was supposed to have a recap session with her on Monday but I got sick.
Next monday, it will be happening!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I don't want to spoil it for others. I've sent you a PM, but delete it unread unless you really have to know. You've got to read the book, though, when you have time.

I've got the British edition (607 pages), and page 139 (A Place to Hide) contradicts page 84 (The Ghoul in Pyjamas) regarding Hermione and the Memory Charm.
so, is this the 'glaring error' i've heard about? if not, i couldn't find it... i thought it was the sword, which i [mis]remembered as being gold, not silver. i checked in book 2, tho - it's silver there, too.
anyone?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I thought it had something to do with a memory charm and Hermione...
Exactly. First she relates how she used it on her parents, and then she says she has no experience with it. The editors should have caught that.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually it wasn't a memory charm. If you read the webchat, JK Rowling explains it:

Did Hermione really put a memory charm on her parents she says she did but then about 50 pages later tells ron shes never done a memory charm? J.K. Rowling: They are two different charms. She has not wiped her parentsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] memories (as she later does to Dolohov and Rowle); she has bewitched them to make them believe that they are different people.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Actually it wasn't a memory charm. If you read the webchat, JK Rowling explains it:

Did Hermione really put a memory charm on her parents she says she did but then about 50 pages later tells Ron shes never done a memory charm? J.K. Rowling: They are two different charms. She has not wiped her parentsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] memories (as she later does to Dolohov and Rowle); she has bewitched them to make them believe that they are different people.
That's an "after-the-fact" explanation, IMO. Hermione:
"I've also modified my parents' memories so that they're convinced they're really called Wendell and Monica Wilkins..... Wendell and Monica Wilkins don't know they've got a daughter, you see."

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does it really matter? The book is finished. I am not going to nitpick at details when I enjoyed the book overall. No one is perfect.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Does it really matter? The book is finished. I am not going to nitpick at details when I enjoyed the book overall. No one is perfect.
no, not really. i just wondered, since i had heard it referred to as 'glaring' & i couldn't figure out what it was. i usually notice those things.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

no, not really. i just wondered, since i had heard it referred to as 'glaring' & i couldn't figure out what it was. i usually notice those things.
Isn't the memory charm the obliviate one - that erases all memories. The one Hermione did on her parents was to make them think that they were someone else? That is a difference to me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Isn't the memory charm the obliviate one - that erases all memories. The one Hermione did on her parents was to make them think that they were someone else? That is a difference to me.
they seem different to me, too. probably why i thought the supposed error was something else.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt that there is a single book that has been published that doesn't contain some sort of error or presumed contradiction.

My best friend got back from a seashore vacation yesterday. Her youngest basically "disappeared" for the week, because he was reading "HP & the Deathly Hallows". He just turned 11! She's reading it now.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got my American copy of Deathly Hallows (since I have the American set) and read it.

The funny thing about the book was I kept reading and reading through hundreds of pages, and it seemed like nothing was happening. The big reveal was when Harry saw Snape's memories, but up until then, it seemed they were just aimlessly and hopelessly wandering, with very few clues of what to do next.

I didn't understand why Harry didn't let Hedwig go in the beginning. He was very cramped in the sidecar - why didin't he just let her fly away? She could have gone to live at Hogwarts, or any number of places.

I also don't quite understand how Harry could be so dumb as to say Voldemort (and not stop on one of the syllables) when he knew they would be traced if he said it? And, also why he put flowers on his parents' graves... that all seemed foolish and careless.

Overall, I liked the book and the ending and am VERY relieved that Harry didn't die. That would have awful and would have completely ruined the series for me (Narnia, anyone?).

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
skipping skipping, 478 pages in lalala

will join this thread when i've finished lol

ooh i see harry didn't die! (blanks that out) lol

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed it. It was a little lenghty in the middle. I was hoping for some more big names other then Voldemort, Snape, Hedwig, Moody, Tonks, Lupin and Fred to bite it. I honestly thought it would be Ron, Hermoine or Neville.

Got to say my fav part of the book was Mrs Weasley running to Battle with Bellatix to protect Ginny and the ensuing battle that killed Bellatix.

I read it the 1st time so fast (I wanted to finish before surgrey - did it with 30 minutes to spare) that I have already re-read it.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I also don't quite understand how Harry could be so dumb as to say Voldemort (and not stop on one of the syllables) when he knew they would be traced if he said it?
He didn't know. The taboo spell put on Voldemort's name was a recent thing. It's what the death eaters, when they took over the ministry, set up to catch members of the Order as they were pretty much the only ones who dares to speak his name. Harry didn't and coudln't have known about that.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All right! I get to join this thread now because I've finished the book!

The beginning was slow. I really didn't get the whole wandering around thing. I know it was that they were looking for Horcruxes, but I think that was a little drawn out. Once I got to near the end of the book though, (like the last 150 pages) I just couldn't put it down.

Very good, one of her best books yet. Now, I know she's said that she isn't going to write any more books. She certainly doesn't need the money. But there's a couple of areas that she could write something else. Like at the end, where she says that Harry hasn't felt his scar hurt for 19 years. Who knows if he REALLY killed Voldemort.

And the charactors she kills off. Ok, I can understand most of them. But Hedwig and Dobby? Dd was reading it last night- as I said good night to her she said "Poor Dobby".

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

He didn't know. The taboo spell put on Voldemort's name was a recent thing. It's what the death eaters, when they took over the ministry, set up to catch members of the Order as they were pretty much the only ones who dares to speak his name. Harry didn't and coudln't have known about that.
It's at the end of Chapter 22. Harry had already been warned about saying the name, but he let it slip nevertheless.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

It's at the end of Chapter 22. Harry had already been warned about saying the name, but he let it slip nevertheless.
What I found interesting about that is that he didn't say the name in one breath. He got as far as saying "Vol" I think then Ron interupted him, then Harry finished the name where he left off "demort".