Spaying

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

How can you justify your own want and your own need to the fact that thousands of kittens/cat are being euthanized every single day in the US due to over population?
Sorry, just had to respond to this.

I think it's wrong to do ANY kind of charity or kindness that will eventually cause you to resent the ones you do charity for. Many people do charity work because they WANT to and it makes them feel fulfilled. Rescuing cats IS a want and need for some people.

Not everyone's wants and needs are the same. I want to rescue cats tons of cats. I wish I could take in dozens but I think my husband would leave me if I did that to him because that is simply not the life he envisioned for us. Is that selfish of me? Is it wrong to put my marriage before saving the life of a cat? How much should I sacrifice before my needs become important?

This is something I think others often overlook. I can promise you that almost every rescuer saves cats because they WANT and because they feel it is important. Not because they feel obligated to. I think very few people do charity work out of a sense of obligation. They do good because in turn it makes them feel good to help others.

Seriously, people can sacrifice until they are bled dry. It's a kindness to respect that not everyone's limits are the same. Hope that makes sense.
I just think one has to respect the wants and needs of others. No one should be forced to adopt more cats out of a sense of obligation. It should be done because you want to.

Whew, I'm long winded, hope that makes sense.
Again, this is just my opinion, I'm sure not everyone shares it.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsrcul

yeah I totally agree with people being irresponsible pet owners, especially in cities. Lke they say, pets aren't christmas presents, they are for a lifetime.

Anyway now I've given my opinion, I'm still unsure to the procedure of spaying/neutering. I mean, is it 'humane'? Personally I'd be horrified if someone forced me to be 'spayed' (vasectomy in other words lol) without my consent. What do you guys think?
Spaying is very humane, I took on a 14yo unspayed female a couple of years ago, and sadly, she had mammary cancer due to never being spayed, despite the fact her organs were in perfect condition for her age, I had to have her pts due to the cancer. Plus the fact I had to hear her go into heat on a regular basis, which isn't pleasant. Add to that, the other health implications such as pyometra (which can kill), uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, prostrate cancer, and if they are out and mating, FIV, FeLV, abscesses, car injuries, getting lost, it is easy to see just how humane a simple operation is that will give them a good life rather than one fuelled by hormones.