spay/neuter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

Hmmm.... 100% for spay/neuter. Even Florida can count that without much problem!
ouch! you had to go there didn't you....

I saw this post earlier this evening and voted, spay/neuter of course, but didn't add a comment. Figured you guys would get him

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

All I can say is: Spay or neuter - it saves lives.
That's exactly what I was going to say! I don't think there is anyone on this board that will agree with you. I love my cats and I will do what's best for them - ALWAYS!

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless you are a professional breeder, there should be NO option about it. Since I really don't care for using cat urine as potpourri or enjoy lying awake all nite listening to the endless yowling of the cats in heat or rejoice in the fact that many, many animals spend their lives in cages only to be put to sleep, I voted for spaying and neutering.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spotz

I wish there was a third option.

I'm somewhere in the middle here. So I refuse to vote at this time.

However generally I lean towards S/N.

Spotz
Since I deal with Exotics(non-domestic), there is usually a little better argument against S/N.

Also, if I were to breed then I would not S/N...for obvious reasons.

Regarding Domestics, as pets, I would definately S/N. And/Or for medical reasons, regardless of pet/breeder/domestic/exotic.

Since there is no option that adequatly fits my standard, I won't cast my vote. If a third option was given, perhaps something along the lines of "Depends on animals destiny" then I would cast a vote.

Hope this clarifies matters a little bit.

Spotz

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spotz- the policy on this board is strictly against the backyard breeding. Not against the breeding that is done in high standards and is ethical and for the betterment of the breed. Just a plain ordinary housecat, it is our hope that the owner will spay and neuter, and the same can be said for strays that show up that the person takes upon themselves to feed and care for. Hope this clarifies things......

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, all of mine, including Amber are s/n. The only exception are my Pixie Bobs. I thought about breeding Amber, but at the moment, having 1 bobcat is a lot to handle.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the clarification Hissy..I couldn't agree more against irresponsible backyard breeding.

I understand that my perspective may be a bit off the norm due to my personal feline focus, however for this very reason I respectfully refuse to cast a vote either way, as I tend to try my best to apply the question to myself before I answer it; I neither 'Always' nor do I 'Never' S/N, so the poll is not valid for me.

Spotz

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Rosie was a kitten, i took her to be checked over by the vet.

I told him that i was keeping her as an indoor cat so did she need spayed?.

He told me it was best to because if she didn't, not only would she have the distress of going into season, but she would also be at risk of breast cancer.

Needless to say her health and welfare came first so she was spayed.

Sophie went for her first flu/ent shot last week. She's booked into be spayed on the 17th of september

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always believed both male and female cats should be spayed. The female comes into season so soon after giving birth to her litter, that they could be in danger of being constantly either nursing or pregnant. If a litter is born soon after the previous litter often the second litter is born unhealthy, deformed, or even dead, etc. I have seen it happen. The poor momma cat is pulled to bits by the male cat and it is so easy to stop this happening. Seeing dozens of cats that have been put to sleep because they are unable to find homes for them is surely argument enough. SPAYING/NEUTERING IS A MUST.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just wondering... your signature says you have 7 cats. What do you plan to do with the kittens this kitten season? Keep all of them? and next year?

Oh and I don't see how you can own a stray
Maybe you mean a feral? A stray is just a pet cat that got lost or abandoned. Once it's found a home it's no longer a stray.

feralwhisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Sophie went for her first flu/ent shot last week. She's booked into be spayed on the 17th of september
September 17th is four month away, how old is Sophie now? Why wait so long? As long as a kitten is healthy they can be spayed / neuter when they are 8 weeks and 2 lbs. Kittens can get pregnant by 5 months. Please don't wait until September.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats the date my vet told me to bring her in for. She never said any earlier, but said that it would be best to take her in before she was 7 months old.

She was 9 weeks on tuesday.

Their both indoor cats

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just rang my vet.

We are obviously different over here in the UK. But she said the reason why we do it from 6 months is because it's a tricky enough operation as it is, and they say the ovaries etc... are not mature enough if done any sooner.

So even if i wanted it done now, they wont, they said it's not their policy.

But thanks for pointing it out to me because where their health is concerned i like to know everything i can