Spay incision possibly infected or open

Kaleleaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spay incision looks open on my cat

I was fostering a 2 year old mom and her two kittens and on Thursday momma and her two kittens were fixed and the kittens were adopted. I adopted the mother cat and it’s now been 3 days since she was fixed but her incision doesn’t look right to me. Posting a link to the picture. She was also still lactating at the time she was fixed, I asked them if I could bring her back to have her fixed when she finished lactating but the shelter said no it had to be before she was adopted.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always hard for me to tell from a photo. There can still be swelling at three days. Is there any fluid draining, severe redness, odor, or blood? Is she eating, drinking, urinating and pooping? I can tell there are a couple of indentations in her tummy and it appears the incision is at the black spot? I’m sorry but it’s hard to really see. The best advice is ALWAYS, if you have any doubt, call the vet! You may be able to text or email them the photos as well. I know most places are closed right now but many do have off hours people who check in so start calling or contacting them. Whoever did the Spay should be willing to respond and answer any concerns you have. If you were given any paperwork after her Spay, there may be contact info there. You should not incur any charges for a question about this. If you cannot reach the vet, try contacting the agency where you adopted her. Make it clear to anyone you contact that you are concerned that her incision is open. For this moment, keep her from jumping around or up and as content as you can. She may have had a little back up from lactating but cats can be spayed during that time. Please do post back with any more info, pictures or concerns. I am sure that others will be along with more help too. :alright:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to tell from the pictures. . .but it kind of looks like the actual incision is the puckery spot (stitches turned inward) and the bloody spot might be the tattoo? Tattoos do get scabby after a couple days. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to call the place that spayed her and ask what it should look like.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I see a hard red scab with an open area in the middle. I would get that checked again.