Spay Day for Cosette

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sam and Christy

Sam, I don't mind at all kitties being spayed or neutered (wouldn't have it any other way), but I don't like it happening to her so young either. I mean, the only other kit she has any exposure to is Eponine, and she's spayed. But oh well...
as long as she gets through it safe and sound (and without me having a nervous breakdown), that's all that matters!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sending vibes for bravery and a speedy recovery. Since it is a routine procedure and Cosette is healthy, I'm sure everything will go well. When Cosette comes home you can shower her with love and treats and all of this worry will be over.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your kind words

Well....
As you all can tell.....I'm bawling because I just dropped Cosette off at the Humane Society for the night. They said she should be spayed about 7:30 tomorrow morning but I won't be able to call and check on her until 3:30pm
How the h-e-double hockey sticks am I supposed to wait that long for an update on her??? Oh they said they'd call me earlier if (God forbid) something didn't go well, but still....ARGH. Tonight and tomorrow are going to be rough. But....we'll be together again in just over 22 hours and counting....

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I adopted her from the Humane Society and this is how they do things I guess. They need her the night before b/c the surgery is so early in the morning and they need to make sure she doesn't eat anything tonight
I know one thing for sure- her MEOWMY isn't eating anything tonight (just maybe drinking a tad bit....)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww Amy she will be ok, i know it's easy to say because it doesn't stop you from worrying either way

Please get something to eat though because Cosette needs her mummy to be ok for when she comes home tomorrow.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what your going through. I adopted my Griffin from the humane society in Savannah just about 2 years ago. He was 10 weeks old. I had to take him back to be neutered and it was the hardest thing in the world to leave him there overnight. I was a nervous wreck! He had been really sick with an upper respiritory infection, he was sneezing when I adopted him and he got soo sick afterwards and took almost 2 months to get rid of the URI. I had to reschedule his neuter 2 times on the advice of my vet and I had become so attached to him. He is my baby! Anyway he did fine. I think it was worse on me than on him. I called like they said at 3:30 and the girl at the desk told me he had to stay another night cause he was still coming out of the anesthesia but I begged her to let me come right before they closed to see if he was ready to come home and he was. It was just a nerve wracking day, for me. I'm sure your little one will do fine, I will keep her and you in my thoughts!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending her lots of vibes, I'm sure she'll be okay. I know what you, and Kelly are going through. I couldn't stop crying when I left Gordo overnight after his operation. I couln't sleep that night, and I was there at 7 AM to pick up Gordo. (They didn't open until 7:30 AM)
Lots of hugs for you and Kelly.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by malynn

I know exactly what your going through. I adopted my Griffin from the humane society in Savannah just about 2 years ago. He was 10 weeks old. I had to take him back to be neutered and it was the hardest thing in the world to leave him there overnight. I was a nervous wreck! He had been really sick with an upper respiritory infection, he was sneezing when I adopted him and he got soo sick afterwards and took almost 2 months to get rid of the URI. I had to reschedule his neuter 2 times on the advice of my vet and I had become so attached to him. He is my baby! Anyway he did fine. I think it was worse on me than on him. I called like they said at 3:30 and the girl at the desk told me he had to stay another night cause he was still coming out of the anesthesia but I begged her to let me come right before they closed to see if he was ready to come home and he was. It was just a nerve wracking day, for me. I'm sure your little one will do fine, I will keep her and you in my thoughts!
It's amazing the number of kittens that leave our Humane Society with URIs. Cosette had one when I adopted her, too; she was a little 7-week-old itty bitty thing at the time- talk about nerve-wracking. That is horrible that your little Griffin had his for 2 months!!!! And that is even more horrible that he had to stay the night after his surgery!
I bet that was too tough on you. Did you find that the staff there was very sympathetic to you? It's my observation that, while they care about animals, they could care less about their human owners! How long did it take Griffin to recover from the neuter?
Thank you for commiserating with me

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tina and Sam

Tina, like you, I didn't sleep at all last night. Every time Eponine would jump up on the bed (bless her sweet heart) I'd think it was Cosette. This morning, getting ready for work, it was so upsetting not to see her scampering about

Just an update: they said yesterday that her spay would take place at 7:30 (of course I said a prayer for her at that time!) and should take about 7 minutes. Well, since it's after 9am now, since they haven't called me yet I take that as a good sign. But I won't really know much until I can call at 3:30pm (on the dot of course!). Keep your fingers crossed y'all!

Nervous wreck, over and out!

ranger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hugs and sympathy, I know just how you feel - Jazzie was done three weeks ago and they were having a very busy day, said they'd ring me by two pm... by three, with still no call I was a nervous wreck! She was fine though. I was so convinced she'd be traumatised by it, and no matter how good I know the vet staff are I still worry. As it was, she came back having been thoroughly cuddled, comforted and looked after, was totally unstressed and when we went back for her post op check up she made it clear she didn't think of the vets as somewhere nasty things happen, she was very relaxed, which is a huge reassurance. I asked for good pain relief as one of my cats some years ago had a lot of post op pain (she does seem to have been unusual, most don't), and Jazz came home with four pain pills, one a day, which kept her comfortable. My main worry that evening was trying to persuade her not to wrestle with Jake, she wasn't in the least interested in resting.

Thinking of you and Cosette, try not to worry too much, and let us know how she's doing?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Thank you Tina and Sam

Tina, like you, I didn't sleep at all last night. Every time Eponine would jump up on the bed (bless her sweet heart) I'd think it was Cosette. This morning, getting ready for work, it was so upsetting not to see her scampering about

Just an update: they said yesterday that her spay would take place at 7:30 (of course I said a prayer for her at that time!) and should take about 7 minutes. Well, since it's after 9am now, since they haven't called me yet I take that as a good sign. But I won't really know much until I can call at 3:30pm (on the dot of course!). Keep your fingers crossed y'all!

Nervous wreck, over and out!
I know they said not to call, but what if you did anyways? I just prayed for her again and I know shes fine, but just to put your mind at ease...

Are you planning a special treat? I don't give my cats table food (as a rule), but on VERY SPECIAL occasions they get a teeny piece of salmon or a shrimp. (A large, peeled, deveined shirmp takes 12 seconds in the microwave. Serves 2) Asking the vet if this is ok might be a good reason to call.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ranger and Renee (and Susan, as always!). I just called and they said she is fine but rushed me off the phone after that, saying call at 3pm. I know they're busy but geeze....have a little more empathy for the worrying parents! But I'm relieved to know she's fine and can't wait until my little cuddle bug is wrapped up in my arms at 4!

Renee, as far as a treat goes....I have some crab meat that I may cook and give her tomorrow....tonight and tomorrow she is getting her very favorite treat- cat milk!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the operation went ok for sweet little Cosette. It is a shame that the staff isn't more compassionate toward the worried meowmies and daddies of their patients. It seems like they would understand the anxiety people have when a loved one has surgery. At least the people on this board understand what you are going through and we are still sending vibes for you and Cosette.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Thank you Ranger and Renee (and Susan, as always!). I just called and they said she is fine but rushed me off the phone after that, saying call at 3pm. I know they're busy but geeze....have a little more empathy for the worrying parents! But I'm relieved to know she's fine and can't wait until my little cuddle bug is wrapped up in my arms at 4!

Renee, as far as a treat goes....I have some crab meat that I may cook and give her tomorrow....tonight and tomorrow she is getting her very favorite treat- cat milk!
I knew a good Meomy like you would have something planned.