Spay appointment made

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you got her! Don't panic (I know -MUCH more easily said than done) if you don't see her for awhile. We have some ferals that disappear after release for just a day, some for weeks, and some that just "move on" for good. I know for sure that some that didn't return after release truly did just move (vs something being wring) be they were seen by another caretaker in our neighborhood.

So don't give up faith - keep your feeding schedule going. Hopefully she'll return! No matter what - remind yourself - as @feralvr said - that you've made her life better by making her less likely to get attacked by males looking to mate, and better knowing she won't be trying to care for herself AND litter after litter in a tough outside world. I know it's heartbreaking to not know for sure how she's doing. We had one of our TNR'd ferals suddenly disappear this spring after living under our neighbors deck for a year and a half in a shelter we made, making it through what we think was a broken leg and a very difficult winter and it breaks my heart almost daily when I look outside at our neughbor's yard...but I try to remind myself no matter what, she lived that year and a half knowing she had shelter and a full belly every night, and never went through the stress of a litter. But it's so hard...it's hard to care! But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure she's healing somewhere out there...and you'll see her again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you got her! Don't panic (I know -MUCH more easily said than done) if you don't see her for awhile. We have some ferals that disappear after release for just a day, some for weeks, and some that just "move on" for good. I know for sure that some that didn't return after release truly did just move (vs something being wring) be they were seen by another caretaker in our neighborhood.

So don't give up faith - keep your feeding schedule going. Hopefully she'll return! No matter what - remind yourself - as @feralvr said - that you've made her life better by making her less likely to get attacked by males looking to mate, and better knowing she won't be trying to care for herself AND litter after litter in a tough outside world. I know it's heartbreaking to not know for sure how she's doing. We had one of our TNR'd ferals suddenly disappear this spring after living under our neighbors deck for a year and a half in a shelter we made, making it through what we think was a broken leg and a very difficult winter and it breaks my heart almost daily when I look outside at our neughbor's yard...but I try to remind myself no matter what, she lived that year and a half knowing she had shelter and a full belly every night, and never went through the stress of a litter. But it's so hard...it's hard to care! But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure she's healing somewhere out there...and you'll see her again!
Thanks for the encouraging words it's been almost a week now! I hope she is healing and not dead. She was starving when I first fed her, skin and bones. She has not come for food for a week now, it worries me! I know better next time to keep them in dog cage for a week to two, I feel guilty because I did not know, I released her from trap too soon!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:nothappy: Hope that one is fixed....... OR are we on to your next capture.. :slant:
Someone owns her but I do not know if she is fixed. She is a giant long haired version of one I trapped
Possibly related then?! I certainly hope this one is fixed and if you know the owner might you have the opportunity to discuss the effort you are putting forth in getting the stray cats that are roaming about all TNRd. I always gently try to explain to neighbor's whom let their cats roam unaltered about all of the kittens that are being born thus adding to more feral cats. :sigh: Honestly, I find 9 out of 10 times people don't even give it a second thought and some appreciate being educated on the positive effects of TNR for both cat and community! Some do and then some really just do not care. It is an effort worth taking on if you are able.

I am sure your female TNRd kitty will show herself soon enough. It sounds as if there are other roaming stray cats in your area so there are probably other feeding resources. Hang in there, I know it is hard to do though. :hugs:

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray she is back and just ate 2 cans fancy feast, thank you God! She was gone for one week!

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah!!!!!! The appetite is a VERY good sign that she's healing well!! And definitely consider the dog crate thing if you have to do it again :) But SO glad she's back!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray she is back and just ate 2 cans fancy feast, thank you God! She was gone for one week!
WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!! This totally MADE my day !!!!!!!! :dance: :high5: :banana1: :lol3: I am so happy for you and relieved for you AND HER!! She will be staying close now and since she is spayed, no more hormones driving her crazy and leading her astray. Usually, they stay close to home after TNR and under such a kind caretaker's wing, such as yourself. Wonderful news.... :bigthumb:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!! This totally MADE my day !!!!!!!! :dance: :high5: :banana1: :lol3: I am so happy for you and relieved for you AND HER!! She will be staying close now and since she is spayed, no more hormones driving her crazy and leading her astray. Usually, they stay close to home after TNR and under such a kind caretaker's wing, such as yourself. Wonderful news.... :bigthumb:
Hopefully she will return at 6 tonight

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I will call her occasional kitty. She does not come every day, does that mean someone is feeding her or what? She was so thin when I first met her, she was starving.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe she is hunting to feed herself as well. One of the ferals I used to feed would only come  on the days she didn't catch anything. I often used to see her in the fields with a mouse in her jaws and I'd know not to expect her for dinner that day.

At least she knows she has you there when she can't catch anything.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have been off work a few days, I realize she comes at 9 am and 6 pm. I am not there if I go to work early or work late, that is why I see her every other day, because I miss her. I have seen her daily since I have been off.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I have been off work a few days, I realize she comes at 9 am and 6 pm. I am not there if I go to work early or work late, that is why I see her every other day, because I miss her. I have seen her daily since I have been off.
Right!! We can't be out there watching everyday all day long! Some feral cats do have a regular visiting schedule and other's are sporadic and other's stay around all day long. I hope she is the latter case. ;) Glad you have been seeing her. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
She must be hanging around because she was outside at 630 this morning, she usually comes at nine, so I miss her feeding. She is not going far, she seems to adjust her schedule to mine. She is funny I bought a lot of evo kitten food since it got bought out, and was drastically reduced, I thought it would put some weight on her. I put half a can and Merrick dry. She eats all the wet then sits looking at me like Oliver Twist asking "Can I have more please?" So I give her the other half of can. She comes back later to snack on dry or something else eats it![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She must be hanging around because she was outside at 630 this morning, she usually comes at nine, so I miss her feeding. She is not going far, she seems to adjust her schedule to mine. She is funny I bought a lot of evo kitten food since it got bought out, and was drastically reduced, I thought it would put some weight on her. I put half a can and Merrick dry. She eats all the wet then sits looking at me like Oliver Twist asking "Can I have more please?" So I give her the other half of can. She comes back later to snack on dry or something else eats it![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️
:lol3: :lol2: AWESOME girl and she certainly knows a good meal when offered. I like your thinking too on the Kitten EVO. YES - very good choice. I love those store deals and sales on canned foods that are getting close to expiration. I snatch them all up too. SOOOOO happy to hear she is "HOME". :heart2: :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They soon learn your schedule and know when to come for food. Cats are smart, feral cats especially so.

I'm glad this all worked out so well.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha, this time she is at the sliding door at 6 am in the dark with her nose against the glass. I fed her a whole can of Evo kitten, which she devoured all 5.5 oz and a few bits of kibble. I won't see her until tomorrow morning now. She knows I come home from 5 to 730, but she can always get fed at 6 am! Smart girl eats a big meal once a day! I [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ That little girl! She is so shy, she hides under bush until I walk back into house![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]My cat growls making scary jungle noises the whole time, jealous!

Last edited: