Sox had her kittens!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Sox had 5 kittens 8 days ago. All have lost their umbilical cords except one. Should I be concerned about the kitten that has not lost the cord yet?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will usually dry up and fall off if the mama cat did not already chew it off.  If it is long and bothersome, you can clip it shorter.  As long as there is no obvious iinflammation at the belly, there is nothing to worry about.  Eventually it should just shrivel up and fall off like a dead leaf off a tree.

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do often notice Sox licking around the cord perhaps trying to keep it clean until it falls off

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Sox had 5 kittens 8 days ago. All have lost their umbilical cords except one. Should I be concerned about the kitten that has not lost the cord yet?
My last litter had one walking around with it for 1,5 week or maybe even a little longer. As long as it seems normal, leave it be. It'll fall off eventually

Last edited:

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An orphaned baby joined the family and Sox is such a wonderful mom that she took the new orphaned baby and started caring for it as her own.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where did that baby come from?  How did you end up with it? I think it is so wonderful when the other mama takes in another's baby!

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A friend found it abandoned in her yard and brought it to me. I put it in front of Sox and she took it to the nest where her babies were born and proceeded to give it a complete bath and then started feeding it. Every since she has treated it as her own. Her kittens don't seem to mind and also seem to have accepted the new addition to the family.

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is approximately the age of Sox's kittens but is so tiny.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE JUST PICKED UP THAT BABY! That is so AMAZING  to me!  What a wonderful little mama!

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was amazed too. I wasn't sure if she even would accept it and she just took right over. In just a few short hours it's as if she had 6 kittens all along.