Soulistic Harvest Sunrise & Phosphorous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! I hope more fluids help Watch Kitty! But fingers crossed that she'll eat before you have to take her in. Personally, my view would be that eating anything substantial (meaning a small meal rather than a few favorite treats) would be okay, even if it's not an optimal food. (I remember the time I got Brooksie to eat by feeding her some Trader Joe's food -- I was ecstatic because she ate a bunch!)

And wow about Babbette! May she keep on going strong!

Fingers crossed for Watch Kitty!
Thank you!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Watch Kitty doing? I hope she ate so you didn't have to take her in to the vet yesterday!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you very much for your concern. We did wind up taking her to the vet. Unfortunately, I learned she is in end stage. I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing now, feeding her Soulistic and taking her to the vet regularly for Sub Qs. I am very concerned about how her 2 yr old boy will deal with it when she crosses the bridge.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you very much for your concern. We did wind up taking her to the vet. Unfortunately, I learned she is in end stage. I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing now, feeding her Soulistic and taking her to the vet regularly for Sub Qs. I am very concerned about how her 2 yr old boy will deal with it when she crosses the bridge.
Thank you for checking in babs' slave babs' slave , though I'm very, very sorry to hear the news about Watch Kitty. Definitely keep up the Sub Qs and feeding the Soulistic (and Weruva, if you're able to find some of the low-phosphorus ones and Watch Kitty likes them) -- and do ask if you want other food suggestions. We tried everything with Brooksie and though some of the foods are no longer available, lots are. I swear that Steak Frites, the lamb Weruva (the Cats in the Kitchen one), Wellness Core's lamb/beef/venison, and Merrick's Cowboy Cookout were huge factors in keeping her alive -- and even a little bit frisky -- for several months. There were days when she ate them very happily.

Thinking of you!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you much for your kindness and for the food recommendation! I am very interested in them all, but especially Merrick's because I know they are quality.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking in babs' slave babs' slave , though I'm very, very sorry to hear the news about Watch Kitty.
I forgot to mention that the vet applied Miritaz appetite stimulant to her ear. It hasn't taken effect yet, don't know if it will. If it doesn't start working soon, I think she'll probably be leaving us soon.
I've only had her 2 years out of her 12, but I feel very blessed by God to have been her caretaker. She's a very sweet girl.
I will never forget when my oldest cat, Babbette, wanted to lay down in a certain spot and it just happened to be where Watch Kitty was laying. Babbette meant to lay down next to her but misjudged and wound up sitting on her. She never even knew it because she was facing the wrong way. Watch Kitty didn't get mad or anything - she just looked at her like "What in the world are you doing?" and just moved aside. I was laughing so hard.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you much for your kindness and for the food recommendation! I am very interested in them all, but especially Merrick's because I know they are quality.
The cats we have now love Whole Earth Farms duck pate, which is also made by Merrick, but I'm cutting it because the new recipe has agar-agar, which I suspect may be causing one cat to vomit. (Alas, she's a barfer!) These cats weren't keen on the leftover Cowboy Cookout that Brooksie left for them but if Watch Kitty likes it, it might be an option. (I looked up Cowboy Cookout and if the picture on the can even remotely resembles the food, it's very different from what Brooksie ate but may still be worth trying!)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the vet applied Miritaz appetite stimulant to her ear. It hasn't taken effect yet, don't know if it will. If it doesn't start working soon, I think she'll probably be leaving us soon.
I've only had her 2 years out of her 12, but I feel very blessed by God to have been her caretaker. She's a very sweet girl.
I will never forget when my oldest cat, Babbette, wanted to lay down in a certain spot and it just happened to be where Watch Kitty was laying. Babbette meant to lay down next to her but misjudged and wound up sitting on her. She never even knew it because she was facing the wrong way. Watch Kitty didn't get mad or anything - she just looked at her like "What in the world are you doing?" and just moved aside. I was laughing so hard.
I love that story of Babbette sitting down on poor Watch Kitty! Cats!

And fingers crossed that the appetite stimulant works. Soon!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love that story of Babbette sitting down on poor Watch Kitty! Cats!

And fingers crossed that the appetite stimulant works. Soon!
Thank you!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats we have now love Whole Earth Farms duck pate, which is also made by Merrick, but I'm cutting it because the new recipe has agar-agar, which I suspect may be causing one cat to vomit. (Alas, she's a barfer!) These cats weren't keen on the leftover Cowboy Cookout that Brooksie left for them but if Watch Kitty likes it, it might be an option. (I looked up Cowboy Cookout and if the picture on the can even remotely resembles the food, it's very different from what Brooksie ate but may still be worth trying!)
I've read reviews that said they changed the recipe and it's not good anymore. Drat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read reviews that said they changed the recipe and it's not good anymore. Drat.
You never know, though, it could be just what Watch Kitty is looking for. (Personally, I'd go for Weruva first since the phosphorous is low but cats, well, you know how odd their taste can be!)

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You never know, though, it could be just what Watch Kitty is looking for. (Personally, I'd go for Weruva first since the phosphorous is low but cats, well, you know how odd their taste can be!)
Hi, here's an update.
As you know, I took her to an emergency vet on Monday Morning and they administered Sub Qs and applied Mirataz to her ear. She's kind of a wild cat at the vet, so the Sub Qs was very traumatic for her because they didn't give her a low level of gas like my normal vet does.
Monday night, the Mirataz hadn't taken effect yet, and it had been almost 48 hours since she had eaten, so I was worried. I wrestled in my mind with the idea of taking her to the emergency vet to see if they could do a force feeding on her. But it didn't sit well with my heart because of how traumatic the previous visit had been. So, I did not take her, I put my trust in God to take her care into his hands while i slept, and if she wasn't eating in the morning, I would take her to my normal vet.
I woke up in the wee hours of Tuesday to feed her boy Buddy and Babbette. Low and behold, into the Kitchen walks Watch Kitty. I tried to get her to eat, she wouldn't. I offered Temptations treats. She didn't eat them. I got down on the ground, petted her and spoke my love to her, and then it happened. She ate and ate and ate those Temptation. Normally, I wouldn't let this CKD cat eat those treats, but if that's what she would eat, that would have to do. And Buddy was eating them right along with her; it was a happy celebration meal. I was over joyed and thankful to God!
Through that day Tuesday, I was able to get her to eat Temptations and Delectables Lickable Treats by petting her and speaking love to her. She didn't eat enough that it would normally be okay with me, but it was definitely enough to keep her going.
This morning she ate the lickable treats again, and I will try Harvest Sunrise again a little later.
Thank you for your concern!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm glad Watch Kitty's finally starting to eat! Tell her to keep it up.

I seem to recall that there's also an injected medication for appetite: Cerenia. Edwina got it when she'd eaten a plant that made her vomit. I'm not sure if that's appropriate for a kidney cat, though.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm glad Watch Kitty's finally starting to eat! Tell her to keep it up.
Hello, I am sorry I have not updated in a while. I appreciate your concern for the little girl.
It's been a roller coaster, but thank God more ups than downs. Right now she's been on an up for several days.
I had forgotten what you said about the Whole Earth Farms Duck Pate, but I saw it on Tanya's guide as having .8 % phosphorous on a DMB. So I bought it and she really likes it. It is the only thing besides baked chicken and Fancy feat that she'll eat. So of course I found out today that the new formula is 1.65 % on a DMB.
Aargh.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am sorry I have not updated in a while. I appreciate your concern for the little girl.
It's been a roller coaster, but thank God more ups than downs. Right now she's been on an up for several days.
I had forgotten what you said about the Whole Earth Farms Duck Pate, but I saw it on Tanya's guide as having .8 % phosphorous on a DMB. So I bought it and she really likes it. It is the only thing besides baked chicken and Fancy feat that she'll eat. So of course I found out today that the new formula is 1.65 % on a DMB.
Aargh.
I'm glad to hear that there have been ups lately! But very sorry to hear about the duck pate, that's a horrible change in the phosphorous. (They really changed the formula. I had to stop feeding the Whole Earth Farms food anyway because I suspect that agar ingredients were causing our cats to throw up!)

All that said, has the vet mentioned the possibility of a phosphorous binder for Watch Kitty? That would enable you to feed foods with higher phosphorous.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I just got Epikiten. He said his patients haven't seen a lot of improvement with it, but it's worth the old college try. I guess that's because it's a weaker binder? I got it because read that the stronger ones have bad taste, so I know my finicky WK would not eat it.
Will start feeding it today.
Thanks again for all you advice and help!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I just got Epikiten. He said his patients haven't seen a lot of improvement with it, but it's worth the old college try. I guess that's because it's a weaker binder? I got it because read that the stronger ones have bad taste, so I know my finicky WK would not eat it.
Will start feeding it today.
Thanks again for all you advice and help!
I hope it helps!!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope it helps!!
Hi, long time no chat. I am sorry to have not updated in a while; it has been a very busy time taking care of her.
Yes, the Epikitin did help. She had a very good 3 weeks in a row, which was very good for her.
Then she went through that same old roller coaster ride, some days good, some days bad.
But starting last Wednesday, she started eating less and less until Saturday, when she started not eating at all. We took her to the vet for anti-nausea shot. It had worked to get her appetite going before; it did not this time.
So Monday morning, she received another injection. Again, no result. By Monday afternoon, she was in such a state that we knew she was on her way out.
We prayed and prayed (as we had for months) that when the time came, she would pass away peacefully in our home, with no suffering. God answered our prayers and she did just that; she crossed Rainbow Bridge Tues Night at about 9:45 PM.
Thank you very much for your concern and help for our sweet little fighter. Below is a photo of she and her son.
I have two coupons for 25% off all Weruva products (Soulistic and BFF included) at Petco, no limit. The coupons expire 12-31. Would you care for them?
wk-buddy-titles.jpg

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, long time no chat. I am sorry to have not updated in a while; it has been a very busy time taking care of her.
Yes, the Epikitin did help. She had a very good 3 weeks in a row, which was very good for her.
Then she went through that same old roller coaster ride, some days good, some days bad.
But starting last Wednesday, she started eating less and less until Saturday, when she started not eating at all. We took her to the vet for anti-nausea shot. It had worked to get her appetite going before; it did not this time.
So Monday morning, she received another injection. Again, no result. By Monday afternoon, she was in such a state that we knew she was on her way out.
We prayed and prayed (as we had for months) that when the time came, she would pass away peacefully in our home, with no suffering. God answered our prayers and she did just that; she crossed Rainbow Bridge Tues Night at about 9:45 PM.
Thank you very much for your concern and help for our sweet little fighter. Below is a photo of she and her son.
I have two coupons for 25% off all Weruva products (Soulistic and BFF included) at Petco, no limit. The coupons expire 12-31. Would you care for them?
babs' slave, I am so sorry to hear your news about Watch Kitty! She sounds like she was a wonderful cat! And she was clearly very beautiful. (And, apparently, a good mother!) I'm glad to hear, though, that she passed away in comfort and had several good weeks. She was a lucky cat to have the great care -- both physical and emotional -- that you provided.

It's very sweet of you to offer the coupons, thank you! I will gladly take you up on the offer, particularly since I'm hoping to make a few small changes to the cats' food rotation and would like to include more of the newer BFF (and/or Soulistic) pates. Just pop me a note when you're ready.