Soulistic Harvest Sunrise & Phosphorous

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today, I bought a can of Harvest Sunrise for my CKD cat because Tanya's guide states that it has low phosphorous (.59 % DMB).
I want to alert you all that the phosphorous level is now significantly higher. I used an online DMB calculator with the label ingredients and discovered that the phosphorous level is now 1.56 max
Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Soulistic site lists the same .59% as Tanya's site. You might want to call Soulistic just in case, to be sure nothing has changed and the figures there are still accurate.

The big thing, though, is that calculations with label figures -- guaranteed analysis numbers -- are always suspect because those numbers are just minimums and maximums. You can read more about that on catinfo.org: Just search "guaranteed" on the page. (I've seen more detailed descriptions of this but can't remember just now where!)

Soulistic's page for nutritional information is here. Weruva, Soulistic's parent company, has similar charts. When we had a kidney cat, we fed her lots of Weruva and Soulistic because of the low phosphorous. Plus she liked them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Soulistic site lists the same .59% as Tanya's site. You might want to call Soulistic just in case, to be sure nothing has changed and the figures there are still accurate.

The big thing, though, is that calculations with label figures -- guaranteed analysis numbers -- are always suspect because those numbers are just minimums and maximums. You can read more about that on catinfo.org: Just search "guaranteed" on the page. (I've seen more detailed descriptions of this but can't remember just now where!)

Soulistic's page for nutritional information is here. Weruva, Soulistic's parent company, has similar charts. When we had a kidney cat, we fed her lots of Weruva and Soulistic because of the low phosphorous. Plus she liked them!
Thank you very much for the info! That makes me feel better about it, for sure, because I was hoping I'd found something she can eat when she gets tired of the BalanceIt Kidney support diet I feed her.
I will call Soulistic and make sure the figure are still accurate.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Tanya’s page has been updated for years. I would always double check all the values listed there.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Tanya’s page has been updated for years. I would always double check all the values listed there.
This is a good point, particularly given the sheer quantity of listings on the site! (The same goes for catinfo.org , another giant list that is impossible to maintain.)

That said, I don't think Soulistic and Weruva change their older recipes much, if at all... at least not that our cats notice, and they do notice recipe changes and even inconsistencies.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will call Weruva tomorrow to make sure their website's DMB info is update, and post the answer here.
For now, I'm thinking that is because the product page's ingredients and "guaranteed analysis" page is up to date, and even links to the DMB info.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva/Soulistic is usually very good about their data so my bet is that all is well for the lower amount but with a kidney cat, it's worth checking and double-checking absolutely everything!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weruva/Soulistic is usually very good about their data so my bet is that all is well for the lower amount but with a kidney cat, it's worth checking and double-checking absolutely everything!
I agree, thanks!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I contacted Weruva, and good news, their website is indeed still accurate. They were very helpful, even gave me some info about Fry Matter Basis, As fed, Guaranteed Analysis, etc. Gave me some recommendations for other foods from their brands that have low phosphorous.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I contacted Weruva, and good news, their website is indeed still accurate. They were very helpful, even gave me some info about Fry Matter Basis, As fed, Guaranteed Analysis, etc. Gave me some recommendations for other foods from their brands that have low phosphorous.
Glad to hear it! Weruva and Soulistic were really important foods for us when we had a kidney cat: I read on a vet's site/blog that she'd seen kidney cats do well on Weruva so I took her advice to heart. I hope Weruva works well for your cat, too!

FWIW, Brooksie especially liked Steak Frites (which is very low phosphorous), Fowl Ball (which I ran through the mini processor for her), and Lamb Burger-ini. This was six years ago so I don't know what she would have thought of all their new foods!

Good luck!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just realized I typed "Fry Matter Basis" not Dry. Hee hee!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it! Weruva and Soulistic were really important foods for us when we had a kidney cat: I read on a vet's site/blog that she'd seen kidney cats do well on Weruva so I took her advice to heart. I hope Weruva works well for your cat, too!

FWIW, Brooksie especially liked Steak Frites (which is very low phosphorous), Fowl Ball (which I ran through the mini processor for her), and Lamb Burger-ini. This was six years ago so I don't know what she would have thought of all their new foods!

Good luck!
Thank you very much for the encouragement and sharing about your cats!
Steak Frites intrigued me, but it's too expensive to be a regular part of the rotation, so it will be a special treat. Actually, all Weruva is kind of expensive for me, but I will do without whatever luxuries I need to in order to help my cat live life to the fullest. Plus, Harvest Sunrise is less expensive than the Weruva options, and I can get it for about 30 cents less a can by buying in an 8 pack from Petco.
I blend my cat's Soulistic and Weruva as well. She likes it better that way.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized I typed "Fry Matter Basis" not Dry. Hee hee!
Yes, I noticed that and loved it. That's my favorite kind of typo!
Thank you very much for the encouragement and sharing about your cats!
Steak Frites intrigued me, but it's too expensive to be a regular part of the rotation, so it will be a special treat. Actually, all Weruva is kind of expensive for me, but I will do without whatever luxuries I need to in order to help my cat live life to the fullest. Plus, Harvest Sunrise is less expensive than the Weruva options, and I can get it for about 30 cents less a can by buying in an 8 pack from Petco.
I blend my cat's Soulistic and Weruva as well. She likes it better that way.
Yes, Steak Frites is definitely expensive. The Cats in the Kitchen cans are some of Weruva's cheaper foods so definitely give some of those a try. Brooksie also slurped up some of the Cats in the Kitchen pouches but I tried to feed less of that because of the carbs.

Blending, processing, anything! Sometimes feeding cats is a "whatever it takes" sort of endeavor.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Cats in the Kitchen cans are some of Weruva's cheaper foods so definitely give some of those a try.
Thanks for the tip!

Blending, processing, anything! Sometimes feeding cats is a "whatever it takes" sort of endeavor.
Blending, processing, pleading, begging, praying, waiting, following, shoving under cat's nose, sprinkling treats on top, that's the life of trying to get CKD cats to eat, as you know!
But I haven't really had to do that since she tried the Weruva/Souliatic foods.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck!
Thank you for all your help! CKD is so new to me. I read that CKD cats will have "off: days when all they do is hide away somewhere in the house. She seemed to be feeling great yesterday, was even playing. But today, she's having her first real "off" day like that., just laying on luggage in the closet. She did get out to drink water (lots of it(, then want back to bed. Hasn't eaten sine 10 last night, it is now noon:24. In your experience, should i be super worried yet? Thanks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your help! CKD is so new to me. I read that CKD cats will have "off: days when all they do is hide away somewhere in the house. She seemed to be feeling great yesterday, was even playing. But today, she's having her first real "off" day like that., just laying on luggage in the closet. She did get out to drink water (lots of it(, then want back to bed. Hasn't eaten sine 10 last night, it is now noon:24. In your experience, should i be super worried yet? Thanks
The short answer is that I don't know. Our cat was a very senior cat (at least 16) and, in addition to mild kidney disease, she had IBD (which was her worst problem) and her thyroid numbers were a little off, too. (And she had a very bad arrhythmia; I'm not sure if that might have slowed her down a little, too.)

What your cat (her name is Babette, isn't it?) is doing does sound a lot like what Brooksie did: she would lie under a dresser. (It has long legs!) I would put dishes under it for her, though she didn't always eat much. It was hard to tell with her, though, what was affecting her appetite more: the IBD or the kidney disease, which was, according to her blood tests and the mass the vet discovered in Brooksie's last exam, a smaller problem.

You might want to start a new thread (either here or, perhaps better in the health forum) to ask about this. Many of us have had kidney cats so I'm sure you'd get lots of responses. I'd also suggest talking with your vet, both to ask how worried to be and to ask if there are patterns to watch for. Another thing: we got a bag of fluids for Brooksie and she perked up noticeably each time we gave them to her. There are also medications that can enhance appetite, though we didn't have those for her.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The short answer is that I don't know. Our cat was a very senior cat (at least 16) and, in addition to mild kidney disease, she had IBD (which was her worst problem) and her thyroid numbers were a little off, too. (And she had a very bad arrhythmia; I'm not sure if that might have slowed her down a little, too.)

What your cat (her name is Babette, isn't it?) is doing does sound a lot like what Brooksie did: she would lie under a dresser. (It has long legs!) I would put dishes under it for her, though she didn't always eat much. It was hard to tell with her, though, what was affecting her appetite more: the IBD or the kidney disease, which was, according to her blood tests and the mass the vet discovered in Brooksie's last exam, a smaller problem.

You might want to start a new thread (either here or, perhaps better in the health forum) to ask about this. Many of us have had kidney cats so I'm sure you'd get lots of responses. I'd also suggest talking with your vet, both to ask how worried to be and to ask if there are patterns to watch for. Another thing: we got a bag of fluids for Brooksie and she perked up noticeably each time we gave them to her. There are also medications that can enhance appetite, though we didn't have those for her.
Thank you very much for the advice. This is actually my middle cat, Watch Kitty, who's about 12. Babbette is 19 and going strong except for arthritis and hearing loss.
If she hasn't eaten in a few hours, I'll take her to the emergency vet. I think the fluids will do her well. She's had 2 fluid sessions since the diagnosis 3 weeks ago and they seemed to do well. In fact, she had an appt for one Tuesday.
Thanks again!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the advice. This is actually my middle cat, Watch Kitty, who's about 12. Babbette is 19 and going strong except for arthritis and hearing loss.
If she hasn't eaten in a few hours, I'll take her to the emergency vet. I think the fluids will do her well. She's had 2 fluid sessions since the diagnosis 3 weeks ago and they seemed to do well. In fact, she had an appt for one Tuesday.
Thanks again!
You're welcome! I hope more fluids help Watch Kitty! But fingers crossed that she'll eat before you have to take her in. Personally, my view would be that eating anything substantial (meaning a small meal rather than a few favorite treats) would be okay, even if it's not an optimal food. (I remember the time I got Brooksie to eat by feeding her some Trader Joe's food -- I was ecstatic because she ate a bunch!)

And wow about Babbette! May she keep on going strong!

Fingers crossed for Watch Kitty!