Sore back legs, vacant at times, sits a lot... then goes and does the complete opposite, too...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is SOO true. When I'm working in the office, I don't see the kitties all day, but my mom does. And then I work from home, something will seem off, and my mom will tell me, "Oh, don't worry about that, they do that all the time." 
And that's what I've had at times from my wife, too! I'll be like, "Look! Look at that... did you see that? Look at that...!" and she'll be like, "That's how he does that..." or whatever. And I know my wife, despite being more practical and less emotional than me, still loves Graham very much. If she thought there was an issue, she'd say so. Having her give me a reality check every now and then is a good thing :)

Last edited:

blur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
21 Jan 2016: Arrived home from work. My wife said, "I haven't seen him eat or drink today, and when I've tried to give him water, he's turned away..." (I know that might seem normal for a lot of cats, but we can actually get Graham to drink pretty easily, 9/10). Now, I knew he'd snacked and had a drink while I was getting ready for work 12hrs earlier, so I knew he'd had something at least. And, of course, he could have snuck a quick drink or snack during the day without her seeing anyway. So I wasn't too worried. I felt his bladder, and it seemed to have something in it, but not full either. Went to take a shower and, like on previous occasions, he followed, saw his litter and had a good old wee. So, no problem there. I did notice a lack of BM in his litter, however, so I slipped him a little of the laxative he loves and left it at that. During the evening he came more alive/awake after the stupidly hot day, but wasn't quite as crazy or active as the night before. But certainly not "ill" in appearance.

22 Jan 2016: Typing this before work. Overnight he had a BM. Not spectacular, but solid, so I guess he's processing whatever food he's eating. He's ate and drank this morning, too. So I'll be heading off to work with a spring in my step that he's good. He's even trotted around the house, climbed over things, and looked out multiple windows at birds, etc, so seems very alert and curious about the world. His back legs seem about the same, but if I had to tip the scale either way, are maybe *slightly* better than some days gone by. So, yeah... happy. Over and out for the work day ahead.

Last edited:

blur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm going to stop doing regular updates because I respect that this part of the forum is for cats with issues and, right now, Graham's continuing to show no further ones/decline at all.

If things change, naturally I will return to it. But for now...

22 Jan 2016 (evening): Came home from work. No BM. The day had been a little cooler than recently (thunderstorms, but still warm), but Graham didn't seem as perky as recent afternoons. As night came he got a bit better, but still seemed a bit off in terms of interaction with us. Notably, however, he ran behind my wing chair and climbed the back of it from bottom to top (it's very tall), which is something he hasn't done since new year's. Again, I ask the question in my head... if I was in any pain and had joints that were sore, would I climb something that tall "for fun" with my bare hands? Graham is a mystery still.

23 Jan 2016 (morning): Overnight, a decent BM - bigger than yesterday's - and signs of a good pee, too. This seems to be becoming his thing... pooping in the night when no one's around! He seems happy and interested in the world. Has had a good drink, but not eaten... a little unusual as he normally does that first thing thing in the morning. Hmmmmmm. But I'm learning not to worry about every little thing since scaring myself stupid earlier in the month. I'm going to go grocery shopping and I'll see what he's like during the day. It's now the weekend, so I'm at home... I presume he'll crash, and I need to let him be! :)

Thank you everyone for your words and support in this thread.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Donutte  

So right about that. I think a lot of people here (including me) end up here in search of a magic cure for something, or to have someone reassure us that some symptom isn't so bad as to warrant a visit to the vet (because goodness knows that would be expensive). In the process of doing that, and ultimately taking my cats to the vet, I've learned so much. And have learned that it's not about finding a magic cure, but rather, in some cases, learning the questions to ask when we go to the vet.

I also know one of the last things anyone wants to hear in the aforementioned search is "You have to go to the vet". But that's the answer you'll get here, and I'm so glad for it. I'm glad it put me into that mind set because I don't question taking my cats in anymore when something doesn't seem right. Like my vet said to me the other day, I know my cats best. And if something seems off, that means there's a good chance something's been brewing for awhile.
(Sweet Graham, he was 'considering' another Superman leap.
  I find those times the funniest, when you notice your cat is about to do something, and you can actually, almost 'see them thinking' about it, but then they change their minds.)
Oh, I now those looks so well. They are usually followed with me saying, "No, no, NO!" and then *crash* lol.
Yes, I would agree, that 'learning' about questions to ask, or specific questions is very helpful...when going to the vet.

And also asking about things that our vets may not have mentioned, initially.

Your vet is so right in saying that "you know your cats best", and if something seems "off" then it probably is.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey everyone, I'm going to stop doing regular updates because I respect that this part of the forum is for cats with issues and, right now, Graham's continuing to show no further ones/decline at all.

If things change, naturally I will return to it. But for now...

22 Jan 2016 (evening): Came home from work. No BM. The day had been a little cooler than recently (thunderstorms, but still warm), but Graham didn't seem as perky as recent afternoons. As night came he got a bit better, but still seemed a bit off in terms of interaction with us. Notably, however, he ran behind my wing chair and climbed the back of it from bottom to top (it's very tall), which is something he hasn't done since new year's. Again, I ask the question in my head... if I was in any pain and had joints that were sore, would I climb something that tall "for fun" with my bare hands? Graham is a mystery still.

23 Jan 2016 (morning): Overnight, a decent BM - bigger than yesterday's - and signs of a good pee, too. This seems to be becoming his thing... pooping in the night when no one's around! He seems happy and interested in the world. Has had a good drink, but not eaten... a little unusual as he normally does that first thing thing in the morning. Hmmmmmm. But I'm learning not to worry about every little thing since scaring myself stupid earlier in the month. I'm going to go grocery shopping and I'll see what he's like during the day. It's now the weekend, so I'm at home... I presume he'll crash, and I need to let him be! :)

Thank you everyone for your words and support in this thread.

Ugh... just when I was happy and slowing down the posts...

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313116/suddenly-terrified-of-the-treats-he-loves
The not eating regularly, always worries me in any cat. That is why I think monitoring his weight would be a good thing.

Ah, poor guy, falling while jumping does make one go back to closer monitoring, while he walks, and moves around. Just try not to overly worry, or scare yourself. Maybe just write down, how he is, and then go back after a week, and see if there are any worsening of symptoms, or remaining steady. That way, you may not have to think about it, when its written down, and see how the trend is.

I really hope you are able to get to the bottom of what is bothering Graham.

Last edited:

blur

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The not eating regularly, always worries me in any cat. That is why I think monitoring his weight would be a good thing.

Ah, poor guy, falling while jumping does make one go back to closer monitoring, while he walks, and moves around. Just try not to overly worry, or scare yourself. Maybe just right down, how he is, and then go back after a week, and see if there are any worsening of symptoms, or remaining steady. That way, you may not have to think about it, when its written down, and see how the trend is.

I really hope you are able to get to the bottom of what is bothering Graham.
Yeah, it's a situation where I woke up today (Saturday) and am on a four-day weekend, and Graham's been robust and heading back towards his normal self and I've been thinking, "Man, life's good..." and then, in the space of a few hours, he's had a crazy tumble for no apparent reason (he's done far more ridiculous things with ease over the past few days), and now seems to have regressed a week or two.

I've had a nap with him and he's gotten up a few times and wandered around... ate and drank a couple of times... no toileting... toileting seems to be once a day (BM) and maybe twice if lucky (pee).

I haven't weighed him, but he's not showing signs of weight loss. And his coat looks great. He looks totally normal.

With the paw flicking, etc, I'm starting to think this is neurological. But to prove that = 1000s of $$$ in fees.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, it's a situation where I woke up today (Saturday) and am on a four-day weekend, and Graham's been robust and heading back towards his normal self and I've been thinking, "Man, life's good..." and then, in the space of a few hours, he's had a crazy tumble for no apparent reason (he's done far more ridiculous things with ease over the past few days), and now seems to have regressed a week or two.

I've had a nap with him and he's gotten up a few times and wandered around... ate and drank a couple of times... no toileting... toileting seems to be once a day (BM) and maybe twice if lucky (pee).

I haven't weighed him, but he's not showing signs of weight loss. And his coat looks great. He looks totally normal.

With the paw flicking, etc, I'm starting to think this is neurological. But to prove that = 1000s of $$$ in fees.
Yeah, so true, about the $$$ to just find out what it is. But if he is eating, then, you may as well just continue to monitor him, and see how it goes. The worst would be if he lost weight rapidly, and then it's a challenge to get him up to his usual weight again.

Tumbles will happen with older cats, but not on a regular basis. I doubt the glucosamine would have helped him feel better so fast, so I suspect that he tends to feel better on his own, as you noticed, and then tries to over extend his capabilities.

You're keeping a good eye on things, but try to enjoy the weekend, and just let him be his usual Graham. "Life is good", even with a few tumbles, as long as he's able to get up, brush off, and continue on. If he was in pain, like you mentioned about the chair climbing, he wouldn't be moving so freely.