Something bad happened last night

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a terrifying ordeal, especially for your poor neighbour. That's absolutely wonderful of you all to pitch in and help her through this.
As for the police not coming in time, well I certainly feel your fustration there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Thank God you are OK! You must have been scared to death! I'm so sorry about your elderly neighbor. How upsetting for her.
How nice for you and the neighbors to pull together to make sure her window is replaced.
Thanks Chris,
Yeah it was scary, I've never been through this before. I thought I was safe with the gate, but I was wrong.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Wow! I'm glad everyone is okay... that really sucks. I used to live in a neighborhood where stuff like that happened a lot.. we got burglarized more than once, but we finally got out of there. Making friends with your neighbors is the best thing you can do to keep stuff like that from getting really bad. Good security helps, supposedly... although it didn't bother the second guy that robbed our house.
I think the deadbolt on the bedroom is a GREAT idea... and keep a baseball bat (or stun gun, or if you're brave, a real gun) in every closet, and MACE in every room.

Just curious, if it had been a white guy, would you have said "a white man...?"
I was thinking of a gun, but I don't like the idea of having a gun in the house. I think I'm going to get a stun gun.

Sorry that you had to go through that. This has never happened to me before. Also, my neighbor never went through this before, and she has lived in that house for 30 years.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been so scared...I'm already jumpy if I'm home alone.....but that would have to be such a frightening experiance to go through.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thoughts and prayers for you & your family & your neighbors. I agree with an earlier poster that the state Victim/Witness program should pay for the repair of your neighbor's home. Also, they should send an advocate for them, to assist them (and you) with getting counseling. This was definitely a very, very traumatic event; I can picture how helpless the neighbor's husband must have felt, being unable to defend his wife

Have you already filed your reports with the police? Please don't hestitate to talk to the D.A.'s office & find out when the arraignment will be, who will be handling the case & what charges will be filed. Also, please ask to be notified if the defendant either bails out or is O.R.'d. You could also consider if you would be willing to testify at a bail review & discuss that with the prosecutor's office.
Sometimes, being proactive can be very healing. Only you will know what is best for you. I think that it's great that you have reached out to TCS - some of the members here are very, very knowledgeable & others just instinctively give perfect advice. You are in my prayers & thoughts tonight. Susan

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How frightening!
to you both.
I am glad niether of you were hurt.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Tina!
How terrifying!!

I'm glad that nobody was physically hurt and you're all able to pull together for your poor neighbour!

That is seriously terrible that the Police took so long to get to you!!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gees Tina, how scary for you all.........how I wish they had never invented drugs and guns...............bad news for all.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie get a metal baseball bat you would be surprised what you can do with one of those things.
I am so glad that you are okay and that your neighbor is ok mentally atleast. I wonder if you could all pitch in and help her get bars on her windows as well. And set up a neighborhood watch. And also you can buy mace to keep but be careful that your kitties don't get into it and that you don't accidently drop it or spray yourself. Honestly if you don't like guns your best bet is a metal baseball bat.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How frightening!!! And bless you and your neighbors for helping her out!

I grew up in an area in Indiana that was well known for drugs and crime (can anyone name the song??). Before he passed away, my grandfather was robbed in his own home.

Even though I currently live in an area that has a lot less crime, I still sleep with a piece of lead pipe under my side of the bed.

Old habits are hard to break.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank God you are all alright... that is so scary. Maybe your dogs could sense that the man was on drugs, and not right... animals can sense things like that.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(guns don't kill people kill people) If the man was on PCP a bat or lead pipe might not have stopped him. I heard it gives them super strengths.Thank God everyone is allright.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YIKES! I'm glad that nothing happened to you or anyone on your block! What a horrifying ordeal. Honestly I can't imagine what possess people to take drugs. It's a stupid thing to do, just like smoking. It has horrible consequences and just makes everyone around you just not want to be around you. I hope they put his butt in jail for destruction of property and anything else they can think of.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, you guys have giving me a lot of good advice.

Joey, the police never talked to me, they didn't even come to my house. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to tell her what you told me.

Heather, my dogs started barking after the police came.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl

Thanks, you guys have giving me a lot of good advice.

Joey, the police never talked to me, they didn't even come to my house. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to tell her what you told me.

Heather, my dogs started barking after the police came.
Maybe the dogs knew he was dangerous and didn't want to be hurt themselves.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an ordeal! You and your neighbors are in my prayers. God was already protecting you.

As far as your neighbor's insurance - You may be able to help her by preparing a bill including all costs associated with the cleaning and repairs. If it exceeds the $1000.00 deductible, her insurance should kick in. Don't leave anything out - paint, landscaping, etc. should be restored to pre-loss condition.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm so glad you all are okay! Man, if I saw his head in my window I would be tempted to get something huge and just start beating the poop out of him! lol, knowing me I'd be too scared and hiding in a corner, though.