Someone please help! My cat was "fixed", vaccinated, chipped every bell and whistle she is having kittens, well 1 dead with a pile of goop HELP

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the placenta is delivered you may cut it and dispose of it. If she has any more kittens they will come when her body is ready. Put the live kitten to her to begin nursing if this is not already occurring.

Pregnant and new moms are in a high hormonal state and they do tend to be very needy, especially during labor and deliver and the first 24-48 hours afterwards.

I can understand your panic as you thought she was fixed. Do keep us posted! :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's quite normal to have a break between kittens. Her labour will continue when she's ready. The only time you need to worry is if she is in active labour, straining and panting, but no kitten appears. That indicates something is wrong.

She should have a placenta for every kitten.

Don't attempt to pull the placenta out, let it come naturally.

If she's straining to deliver a kitten, or if she doesn't expel every placenta you might need to call a vet. The vast majority of deliveries go well without any intervention though, so please don't worry.

I'll leave you in Sarthur2 Sarthur2 very capable hands for now.

Good luck.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the placenta is delivered you may cut it and dispose of it. If she has any more kittens they will come when her body is ready. Put the live kitten to her to begin nursing if this is not already occurring.

Pregnant and new moms are in a high hormonal state and they do tend to be very needy, especially during labor and deliver and the first 24-48 hours afterwards.

I can understand your panic as you thought she was fixed. Do keep us posted! :)
Thank you guys so much please stay with me when you can I grew up on a farm and had 5 kids but this just knocked me off my high heels as we were a bit concerned that since she has become fatter than all the other fatties (and after this calms down I will get back to being concerned what is occurring with all of them that in the past 3 months or so they all have gained a lot of weight) that she possibly had a tumor she has no puffy boobies. Honestly other than maybe 20% fatter and all have gained the weight in their bellies there's no other obvious signs of the typical pregnancy symptoms or signs no in heat moaning or carrying on and nothing of this nature has happened in 3 years.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lazy house cats who are spayed do tend to gain weight. I have several like that who are definitely not pregnant. They love to eat and are well fed at my house. I have a couple of older cats who stay thin no matter how much they eat. :)

Is the kitten nursing mom now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes but she has zero interest in the umbilical cord issue or the kitten really. She just wants me
Its no great hurry with the umbilical cord. You had already tied off with the dental fluss, if momma doesnt chew off you can cut off after w while. Best with a blunt scissor or your own nails...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly other than maybe 20% fatter and all have gained the weight in their bellies there's no other obvious signs of the typical pregnancy symptoms or signs no in heat moaning or carrying on and nothing of this nature has happened in 3 years.
Of course you'll need to get a vet to check them over and spay them if the first vet failed to do so, but if they're indoor only cats they probably won't be pregnant.

You said the one who has just had kittens got out, is that right?

If you had a male cat at home that you thought was fixed and it turns out he wasn't, it would be much more obvious than an un-spayed female. You know how tom cats carry on, spraying everywhere and desperate to get out.

How's the mother doing? How many kittens did she have? Mother and babies all OK?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HIS name is TRUDY HAHA I KNOW BUT HE'S A HERMAPHRODITE and has both genitali and vet, (Different than clinic that fixed her!!!) Informed us that she/he was going to have to have pretty intensive surgery to have both spay AND neuter done at one time and was quite possibly sterile
From what I'm understanding, she didn't get out; Mr "Hermaphrodite" here is the daddy. Guess he isn't sterile after all ;). Ah, well, plenty of time to sort all that out with the vet, do let us know how that conversation goes, lol. Maybe bring them some pictures of their godkittens :D.

I sure hope the other girls got properly spayed, 3 litters would be a LOT of kittens to take care of.

I think you've gotten some pretty good info on kitten midwifery, be sure to post pics when it's all done!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re that spaying which wasnt no good spaying, where the vet mumbled something about missing some tube...
I think what the vet did, was a classical sterilisation. Where they cut off the tubes, so normally she cant get babies, BUT doesnt do anything else. Ie, she is still fertile, has her heat periods, etc.
Many disadvantages. The advantage is its a less aggressive operation than a full spaying.
This wasnt done in at least 50 years. Even if for example in Swedish, spaying on females is called for sterilisation.

A similiar sterilisation may also be done on the males (they certainly do so with human males if need be).
But also here, a castrathion "neutering" is nowadays the normal...

Is your vet old and old fashioned, or do you live "abroads"? ie not USA nor Europe?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where the vet mumbled something about missing some tube...
It was an online vet who suggested that, and who knows where they might be from. No, I don't think any vet in the US would do a tubal on a cat; he'd have angry messages from all his cat owning clients complaining about them being in heat.

It's really a pretty clear case of negligence, so the vet had better spay her for free, and it would be nice if they also provided some kind of price break on kitten vaccines too, since they're responsible for their existence.