Someone please help! My cat was "fixed", vaccinated, chipped every bell and whistle she is having kittens, well 1 dead with a pile of goop HELP

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not insane totally maybe after this! She is 1 of 5 of my purrbabies and is going on 3 I feed them well and have all become very voluptuous and we've been half joking and half kinda concerned/perplexed at how much fatter she has gotten not so much that ya'll would go oh she pregnant in comparison ok I'm rambling but I'm panicking. I have calls into vets and 1 online ve vet called back and said that likely 1 of her tubes were missed or failed. She started acting odd about 2 hours ago would not stay off of me and she came into the bathroom with me just insisting that I have my hands on her then on top of me panting and licking I put her down and she kept getting and trying to get on top of my feet and reality sink in a few minutes later I was rushing around to gather comfort and necessary items and get her and stuff to quiet secluded room and she turned a few circles and ran crying along side me I came back to get ipad and saw the dead kitten, fluids and goop where my feet were on the floor. I got her all set up and went to make warm water bottle and she was at the door waiting for me I walked over to the bed I mad and she ran over climbed on and demands that I keep my hands on her. Where do I go from here? I of course live all but I care about her first and foremost and I know this sounds awful but I don't think I can deal with the other issue I covered it and out a box over it and hope that my husband will help shortly after he wakes up, for her sake does she need it gone or does she need to come back to it and mourn. Also, her siblings are freaking out wanting in with her and also weirded out and aware of said issue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where can I see it if anyone out there sees this and helps

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats do sometimes only have one kitten in the litter, but it's more likely that there are more kittens to come. For now you need to focus on the mother. She may have a break in her labour, but the kittens should come after a short time. If she seems to be struggling to deliver her kittens you need to get her to an ER vet.

Was the dead kitten fully formed? Did he/she have fur all over her body or did she look premature?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As to how she got pregnant, if she has outdoor access or if you have an un-fixed male, that's one mystery solved.

When cats are spayed they have a full hysterectomy, womb and everything removed to prevent cancer, so I don't think it can be something like "one of her tubes was missed". I guess if the person you got her from told you she was spayed they weren't being totally honest with you.

That doesn't matter for now though.

It's OK to remove the dead kitten. The best thing to do is probably bury it.

Are your other cats her sisters?

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As to how she got pregnant, if she has outdoor access or if you have an un-fixed male, that's one mystery solved.

When cats are spayed they have a full hysterectomy, womb and everything removed to prevent cancer, so I don't think it can be something like "one of her tubes was missed". I guess if the person you got her from told you she was spayed they weren't being totally honest with you.

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really mean literally how the actual act of becoming pregnant occurs I mean I took her to the vet about 2.5 -3 months ago paid , left her ,came back and got her, brought her home and took care of her stitches. She was infact cut open. NOW WE HA A 2ND KITTEN ALIVAND A HUGE OTHER ISSUE!! IT TOO CAME OUT WITH ALL THE UMBILICAL CORD ATTACHED AND HAS PLACENTA ON OTHER ER END I GOT IT TIED OFF WITH DENTAL FLOSS WHAT DO I DO NOW ? CUT BELOW OR LEAVE IT ATTACHED

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats do sometimes only have one kitten in the litter, but it's more likely that there are more kittens to come. For now you need to focus on the mother. She may have a break in her labour, but the kittens should come after a short time. If she seems to be struggling to deliver her kittens you need to get her to an ER vet.

Was the dead kitten fully formed? Did he/she have fur all over her body or did she look premature?
It was fully formed but I believe it was dead prior to delivery as it's mouth was locked open and it was stiff

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That vet ripped you off, but let's not worry about that for now.

Each kitten will be born with their own placenta, nothing to worry about. You don't need to do anything. Mum will clean the kitten and usually eat the placenta as well.

Is the 2nd kitten breathing?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It was fully formed but I believe it was dead prior to delivery as it's mouth was locked open and it was stiff
Sorry about that. You do sometimes get still born kittens. If her labour is still going on and any other kittens are born live it's a good sign. She must be delivering them full term.

Sounds like everything is going well! Just be calm, it will be fine.

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That vet ripped you off, but let's not worry about that for now.

Each kitten will be born with their own placenta, nothing to worry about. You don't need to do anything. Mum will clean the kitten and usually eat the placenta as well.

Is the 2nd kitten breathing?
Yes and I used bulb syringe and cleaned out its airway, meowing but umbilical issue is not being handled by mom

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes and I used bulb syringe and cleaned out its airway, meowing but umbilical issue is not being handled by mom
Yes but she has zero interest in the umbilical cord issue or the kitten really. She just wants me

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as the placenta is still inside the mother cat, there’s not much you can do about this yourself. Give the cat time to get to the umbilical cord and don’t rush it.

When to Intervene: If the placenta has been expelled for more than a few minutes and the mother cat doesn’t appear to be cleaning the kitten from the amniotic sac, you should step in. Gently strip the kitten from the amniotic sac (as described above). Use sterile forceps to clamp the cord about an inch away from the kitten’s body or tie a tight knot there with non-waxed dental floss. Only then cut the umbilical cord using a sterile pair of scissors. The cutting point should be about half an inch away from the clamps or knot, between them and the placenta. Remember to never do this if the placenta is still inside the mother.

Open this article so you can scan the sub headings in case anything seems to be wrong

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she has 1 true littermate sister and 1 littermate brother I took them from under a dumpster at about 2-3 weeks of age and like I said are going on 3 years old and all are fixed, well her situation is not correct but as I said it wasn't something I was told second hand I took her myself to the vet and I nursed and removed her sutures. Then someone dumped or she found her way near the creek behind my house and I finally got her and she is not too far behind them in age next came another rescue from same apartments as 1st dumpster rescue and HIS name is TRUDY HAHA I KNOW BUT HE'S A HERMAPHRODITE and has both genitali and vet, (Different than clinic that fixed her!!!) Informed us that she/he was going to have to have pretty intensive surgery to have both spay AND neuter done at one time and was quite possibly sterile being the color he is, his eyes are and the additional albinism coloring of skin pigmentation etc. Since all others were "fixed" and since they've been adopted other than vet care have never touched dirt.

speyton01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as the placenta is still inside the mother cat, there’s not much you can do about this yourself. Give the cat time to get to the umbilical cord and don’t rush it.

When to Intervene: If the placenta has been expelled for more than a few minutes and the mother cat doesn’t appear to be cleaning the kitten from the amniotic sac, you should step in. Gently strip the kitten from the amniotic sac (as described above). Use sterile forceps to clamp the cord about an inch away from the kitten’s body or tie a tight knot there with non-waxed dental floss. Only then cut the umbilical cord using a sterile pair of scissors. The cutting point should be about half an inch away from the clamps or knot, between them and the placenta. Remember to never do this if the placenta is still inside the mother.

Open this article so you can scan the sub headings in case anything seems to be wrong

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
It's not at all inside mom. I've tied it off with dental floss and it has been almost 1.5 hour since then