Soft cat carriers

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before the site crash there was a thread I saw one day that had a list of websites that carry good soft cat carriers. I cant find it again so im assuming it got lost. Does anyone know of any good places to find one?? I want to get finnegan a nice big comfy warm carrier and I can't find any that fit my budget and expectations! Ive looked at all the stores around here and not even Walmart or Superpets have a good one! Its very cold here right now and Fin is VERY against being cold (I have lots of blankets in his carrier now and to go from house to car have been wrapping my scarf around the holes in it!) lol so I'd like to find on where I can roll the side up and down depending on the weather??
Thanks in advance and I hope I wrote this in the correct place!

Stacy

smittenkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm I am not sure where you could find them. Are they soft on the outside to? If so wouldnt it be unsafe if they were in the car with the soft pet porter, or is it only ment for planes???

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a brand called "Sherpa" that makes very good soft carriers, they are also accepted for flying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea Ive been keeping an eye on ebay too... I guess im just picky! lol I want to find one that has the sides that flip down and up so if its cold out i can have then closed. Finnegan doesnt like to be cold at all!! he squeaks and meows until the car warms up. lol I checked out Sherpa but theyre a little out of my price range right now and fin is growing out of the one i have fast! Im not worried about it being plane safe since i dont fly.. Its just taking him to the vet and to and from my boyfriends everynight.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - I'm picky too! My current bag, a Barbie brand carrier from Petsmart is cheapo material on the inside and Baylee hates it... I'm thinking watching ebay for a soft material one would help her feel better about it.

Plus it's also kind of a fashion statement!

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got a sherpaesque bag from Petco. It was 40-50 I don't remember. But it has a jaquard (sp?) fabric on the outside that's actually kindof a pleather (plastic leather) on the inside. And it has a fuzzy pad on the bottom. Shinobi LOVES it, she sleeps in it all the time. And we play hide and seek. I had to be very careful because she only likes to lay on black things (black cat). But the inside is black and that seems to be all that matters. It was kindof expensive, but I figure if I buy a good one this time I'll never have to buy it again. (Definetly beats the carbord box carrier I got from the shelter.)

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ive been contemlating(sp?) this one i found on ebay.... it looks really nice and i keep thinking Ill come across something better but I havent yet.. What do you guys think? nothings good enough for my baby!!

Ebay carrier

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you buy the eBay carrier?

Just a question, how do they see out? Do they have to lie down low to be able to see? Also, if you carry it on your shoulder, won't the cat get squished?

I haven't seen these before, so you'll have to excuse my confusion!!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Did you buy the eBay carrier?

Just a question, how do they see out? Do they have to lie down low to be able to see? Also, if you carry it on your shoulder, won't the cat get squished?

I haven't seen these before, so you'll have to excuse my confusion!!
No I didn't but there are more on there so I still might. Ive found a few Sherpas that I like but theyre A LOT more than I wanted to spend. I havent made up my mind yet what I want to do since I'll have it forever.

Finnegan always lays down in his carrier so he'd have no problem seeing. Also there is a frame inside that keeps the shape so the bag doesnt collapse onto the cat.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

Finnegan always lays down in his carrier so he'd have no problem seeing. Also there is a frame inside that keeps the shape so the bag doesnt collapse onto the cat.
I'd say the frame is important... I have a soft carrier without one and whenever I want to try to get Baylee inside (to play or otherwise) it collapses on it's own, making it hard for her to get in on her own.

Good luck and let us know which one you get!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well last night i went ahead and won the carrier on ebay that I had linked to the other day..
sooo ill let you all know how i like it when it gets here!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining, I was a little confused there for a while!!

Wow, you got it! That's great!
Should you receive it soon? You will have to put a picture up to show us how Finnegan likes it!

I hope you get it soon and I hope you all like it!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well i should have it by the weekend hopefully. I dont have a my paypal goes through my bank account and it should clear wednesday so hopefully he'll ship it out ASAP and ill have it by Saturday at the latest. It's only coming from Ohio and I'm in PA so it shouldnt take that long to get here.
I'm so excited! I hope Finnegan likes it!

gotpersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've had two kinds of carriers - a soft one and a vari-kennel type. Both are airline approved. The soft one seemed like a great idea at the time, snuggly, etc. the only problem is, Scarlet ended up having to be in the soft carrier for a while coming home from the vet (I got a flat tire) and had an accident. It was so smelly I had to throw it out, no amount of washing helped. I had the same type of problem with Pele coming back from the vet (traffic jam) and he had an accident too. But he was in the hard carrier and i was able to just wipe it out and the smell was gone. So in my opinion soft carriers are more cozy, but if you have some soft rags or bedding in the hard carrier it's equally cozy and it's the best bet for a prolonged (i.e., airline travel) trip.

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I dont take him on long trips or fly so Im not really worried about that. I live at home still and when my boyfriend gets home from work we go about 10 mins over to his house so Fin's only in his carrier there and back home at night. He's just outgrowing his hard carrier that I have now and so this soft one i found is much bigger and will be lighter for me to carry around.

gotpersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

Well I dont take him on long trips or fly so Im not really worried about that. I live at home still and when my boyfriend gets home from work we go about 10 mins over to his house so Fin's only in his carrier there and back home at night. He's just outgrowing his hard carrier that I have now and so this soft one i found is much bigger and will be lighter for me to carry around.
Oh, well I agree definitely the soft one, especially since it sounds like he's in it often (tho not for long stretches of time). The soft ones are more comfy.