Socializing a feral: The story of Lucky

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well...

Lucky and Kitty had a tiny encounter the other night. Lucky had skulked her way to the porch room and I was in the kitchen watching (on the phone) and all of a sudden Kitty comes walking around the corner with a mission. I called to my s/o that we might have a problem, which brought our dog (barking) to the end of the hall by the linen closet. So, Kitty meets up with Lucky and Lucky dodges Kitty (who reaches out a front paw to swat Lucky but misses) - when Lucky encounters Snickers (black lab wagging her tail furiously). I think Lucky skidded and just about hit the door to the linen closet and then like a bolt of lightning made it around the corner to the "safe" room. It was a riot, but I was just standing there in shock at how quick that little one can run. Needless to say, Lucky didn't venture out of that room for the rest of the night.

I keep telling Kitty she's got to allow Lucky to come out and explore a bit more. Today when I was getting their "wet" food ready, Lucky came out into the hall, but as soon as she got a glimpse of Kitty, off to the room she ran. Whenever Kitty enters that room, Lucky will hiss a bit and then hightail it under the bed. She always comes out right away (after Kitty leaves). It's slow going, but the door is OPEN all the time now (even when we're gone - as Lucky has plenty of places to hide where the other girls can't get to her).

I'm so hoping that someday I'll find Kitty and Lucky have figured out their differences and become friends. Lucky is VERY curious about Snickers - and she runs to the hedgehog room any time she can to get a peek at Needles. I had to put the screen cover back on my hedgie's cage - just so no one gets hurt. Lucky is very intrigued by that prickly girl.

That's all the news for now.
I'll try to keep you updated on a more timely basis. :tounge2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh thanks for the update!!!! Snickers must have really surprised Lucky!!!!
I think it's sweet she wants to look in at Needles all the time and I loved the picture you sent of them! You should post it here!!!

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay - today Kitty was in Lucky's room investigating (Lucky was on her perch snoozing away). Well, I happened to look in on them and here Lucky was on the perch looking more like a giraffe than a cat (her neck was craned so far). It turns out Kitty decided to use Lucky's litterbox. Was Kitty "marking" that litterbox - or leaving her scent behind for Lucky, or what? We'd never had a litterbox in that room before Lucky came along. Now, of course, we'll be leaving that on in there and I did figure both cats would use all the litterboxes eventually. I didn't know if I should scoop it out right away (I did) or leave it there? I didn't want Lucky to feel ousted or something and stop using that litterbox. Your thoughts, please?!

Crazy. I wish so badly that Kitty would accept Lucky and vice versa. I know, I know...patience...

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucky comes at me angrily

I am feeling SO bad. Lucky was after some electrical cords tonight and I told her "no" and I was feeling a bit panicked (I guess - and she must have picked up on that). She ran behind the couch and started to hiss and come out at me with teeth bared and claws grabbing at the top of the couch (meant for me?). My husband (who she seems to favor) came out and she ran into his bedroom).

I know a lot of you are probably wondering why I hadn't sprayed those cords with Bitter Apple or something, but these were the cords behind the fishtank and I honestly didn't think she'd fit behind the darn thing. At first I thought she was stuck behind it, but then she started at the cords and I got worried that she'd electrocute herself.

Should I just kind of leave her be for the next day or so - just feeding her and scooping her litterbox out. I'm a bit worried if she reacted to me this way that Kitty will really be in for it when Lucky stops running away from her when she approaches.

HELP! It sounds stupid, but I was totally taken aback when she reacted to me this way - things have been going SO well lately...and now this...

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Sandi,

I wouldn't worry too much, cats can have moods too, if when you approach Lucky she appears mad still, back off and let her come to you again...

I never put bitter apple on my wires, cause only Leo went after them, when I said no, and took him away from there, after a few times he understood, he may still swat them from time to time, but never chew...but they are wrapped up, and no water, so no real danger...

Lucky will forgive you if she is mad, she was probably a bit shocked at your discipliary action, which she never was exposed to. Give her time, she will eventually learn the "no" means she should stop what she is doing, just don't yell, a firm no should do.

My cats jump on the kitchen counter, I don't mind when I am not cooking, but when I am, I look at them and say "down", they jump right off (this after after picking them up and putting them down the first few times).

you are a good kitty mommy, and we all can't be too careful, stuff happens...

it will pass, and she will show you love again soon!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sandi - you know your question about the litterbox I just don't know the answer to!

Maybe PM Mary Anne? I'd think it's OK to let them use whatever litterbox they want. Lucky will have to get used to it sometime! Our ferals are VERY fastidious about using a box, so I doubt that Miss Kitty using "Lucky's" litterbox would cause her to not use it.... ?????

And Cookie's right. Our cats definitely have moods. She was probably more scared than angry, and just didn't know what you were doing. Our cats usually get over whatever it was that was bothering them after a good long nap.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Anita and Laurie.

I was a bit startled and shocked, I guess, and I had posted when it was still quite fresh in my mind. This morning I just kind of ignored Lucky a little. I was doing some cleaning in my bedroom and she came in and hopped up on the bed. I had just put the down comforter on the bed yesterday and she had actually been on it last night with no type of reaction - just cuddled down a little. This morning - she was a cat possessed! The full moon isn't due until Wed. I believe. Anyhow, she would lay stretched out and roll all around - then jump around on it and do the rolling thing again - then sniff at it. Crazy. After I left the room, she left as well. I did start talking to her, but I was thinking, maybe we're a little too overbearing with her. I mean, we're always checking on her to make sure she doesn't get into mischief or hurt herself. I think I'm going to back off a bit and hopefully she won't get hurt. I think I've pretty much cat-proofed as much as possible, but you know how that goes...

Anyhow...I'm hoping things will get back to "normal" soon. Miss Kitty has been tolerating Lucky, but no real breakthrough yet. I'm worried about Kitty a bit - she's really slowing down, so who knows??? That's for another thread.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandi, I could be wrong, so use your best judgment. My cats both jump up on the love seat and do the "rolling" thing when they want petting. It started when my female was in heat, and wanted my husband to pet her. After she was spayed, the behavior continued, and my male has started to copy her behavior. Then she gets very jealous, and sits and wags her tale, and gives Blueberry dirty looks!

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yup the rolling thing is a female thing, both my females do it, Piper though, I don't know if she wants pets, because if we go close to her when she is rolling, she runs away, but she always does it after we give her a treat of fresh cooked meat, so I think it her way of saying, thank-you, you made me happy and content by feeding me the treats I love! My other female is not spayed yet, and also bugs the crap out of my husband for pets. she is getting over an URI so we can't spayed her till she is 100% ok...

My Leo doesn't roll, but lies down and shows me his belly to greet me when i come home...

so in other words, the rolling is a good thing, sign of happiness, and you can find out if Lucky wants pets when rolling just by trying!

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jeanne and Anita.

I'm glad to hear that Piper is coming around quite a bit, Anita. I remember way back when she was a bit more timid. I've got to catch up on some of the posts I've neglected.

I think everything is back to normal. I just kind of left her some extra space yesterday and she has been searching me out a little bit at a time. Also, she ended up throwing up a small hairball yesterday morning. We had a 40 degree drop in temperature in one day so maybe that affected her as well. Who knows.

Thanks and I'll keep you informed.

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks Sandi,
and yes Piper has changed a lot since we got a third cat!, she even jumps on our laps now and rubbs us.. she only runs when certain people come over, and from us if we startle her! She is still feral, in that she must approach us for pets, or she runs but not in fear anymore, her tail is not wagging like before in fact she walks with it straight up alot more! this are big changes for Piper and I am so happy for her, she is much happier and alert, exploring things she would never do before! (starting to act like a cat finally!)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sandi, lucky for us cats don't hold grudges for very long.
The hairball could have been a reason why she reacted the way she did. Trent always acts a bit funny when he has a hairball, but he's such a Mommy's Boy that he just wants more cuddles like "Mommy, I don't feel so good, hold me and rub my tummy to make it all better."

Trent wiggles or rolls when he wants pets too. Ophelia doesn't want us when she wiggles, like Piper she runs if we approach her when she's wiggling.

Anita, we've had Ophelia for over 3 years and she still runs from strangers and when we startle her. That's a feral's best way of defense - run from danger. Sounds like you've done wonders for Piper, and every once in a while she'll surprise you with another breakthrough that you didn't expect.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, Sandi - she's getting so big!!! (Or gotten so big!) To me our Spooky looks like a very light version of your Lucky. Tan where Lucky is brown. (Although I guess Spooky has some dark brown stripes). But it's that sweet face...

None of our kitties wiggle! They'll stretch out, and sometimes roll over - but only Spooky VERY occassionally likes her tummy rubbed.

And our kitties all run from other people. As a matter of fact, Shelly's the only one that doesn't run from the door being opened or closed!

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we've learned a lot about Lucky from those pictures. He's interested in icthyology, ornithology, and hedonism-fish, birds, and pure pleasure! A typical kitty and beautiful too!

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the beautiful compliment about our pretty girl. We, of course, think she's lovely, but we're biased. I'll have to post the one where she's watching our hedgehog eat. She's definitely a curious cat (like there's one that isn't?
).

Tonight we went to the Humane Society with my brother and his family. There's a 10 week old kitten (a bit darker and with a little more white/beige than Lucky) that my niece is really interested in adopting. My sister-in-law couldn't make it so they're hoping the little one is still going to be available tomorrow. A real cutie. I must say, it was terribly hard to leave that place without bringing one (if not more) of those cats home.