Socializing a feral: The story of Lucky

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandi, I'm laughing at Lucky running to you when she gets told off. Whichever of my two is getting the worse of the tag game runs to me, as if to say, na na, na na na ! Then they're soon playing again.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info Laurie, I do appreciate it a lot! I remember (Way Back When) when we introduced Kitty (who was 5 months old then) to Midnight (who was a male, about 3 1/2 years old). There was plenty of hissing and growling - I remember thinking how strange it was that little Kitty was hissing - it seemed such a large thing for such a little girl. They took about 2 weeks and then they were best buddies.

As I've expressed in the past - Lucky acts like such a kitten (even though she's about 9 months old now). I'm thinking she's going to act tough, but probably run and hide. I just hope and pray the day will come when everyone gets along and we're one big happy family. Of course, then I'll be wanting to add yet another creature to our lair/den/home. I keep checking the humane society website for our area - Just In Case. Also, we're keeping our eyes open for anymore ferals that may need help.

Jeanie G. - isn't it funny when they come to us like that? I laughed just reading your post - "na, na, na, na, na...". I thought that very thing - like Lucky was saying to Kitty, "Ha, see, she's petting me - so you can growl out there all you want". However, Kevin was out there with Kitty petting her.

Oh, I also forgot to mention...I think Lucky gets a little jealous of me when I'm rubbing my hubby's back at night. She gives me this "look". If only she could speak our language...I can't even explain the "look", but Kevin is definitely hers. I believe she's starting to spend her time evenly with both of us, but Kevin is her guy - that's for sure.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry Sandi, I get the "look" from Ophelia all the time. She doesn't really like me messing with her Daddy. :laughing2 She even tosses her little head and meows really curtly at me. Yeah, she has a bit of the prima donna attitude.

Ophelia also learned quite early in her little life that she had Daddy wrapped around her littel dewclaw, and all she had to do was squeal and Trent would get in trouble, even if Daddy had no idea what was going on. Smart little girl. I remember one night, Trent was playing with her in the living room while we were watching TV. She made a little noise, but Daddy didn't yell at Trent (because I was there and saw what was going on and she wasn't the innocent victim). She gave hubby this look that spoke volumes: "Did you see that??? Daddy!! Get him in trouble!!!" It was all in her eyes. She was incredulous that Trent wasn't getting in trouble when she squealed. :LOL:

Sandi, I really envy you with how far you've come with Lucky. I still don't have that kind of bond with Ophelia. If only I had known about TCS back then......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am just so happy that everything has went so well with Lucky!!!!

I know it took a long time...but it was worth it, wasn't it??

Keep us updated on things...we miss hearing how everything is going! **HUGS**

And say a little prayer for Spike for me, would you please....he has cancer under his jaw and there is nothing the vets can do...it is full of puss, scabby and getting bigger, but he seems okay, and eats and plays, but it is obviously getting worse....do you have any advice? I feel so bad for him......

He doesn't act like he is in pain....but he has to be! Should I have him put to sleep or what? I know they are very prone to cancer, and my friends Hedgie died of this also. Is this what happened to Thistle? ( I think that was her name, please forgive me if I am wrong)

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Debby,

I'm emailing you at your regular addy about Spike.

Heidi,

I had to laugh reading your post. Too smart these little girls are. I can almost picture Ophelia doing that! Poor Trent! BTW, I love that name, Ophelia. Very neat! It sounds like you know exactly "the look" I'm referring to. I know about the head swivel as well. Too funny!

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, took a sample in to the vet today and it came back negative for worms. I'm taking another one in next week - just to be SURE and on the safe side. Then, if that comes back negative...OPEN SESAME - and we'll take it from there. I'm so hoping we'll have very few problems with everyone getting to know each other. Time will tell.

More to come next week...

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exciting, Sandi! I know you'll watch them carefully. Of course they'll do some hissing and batting at each other--or at the air between them, but that's to be expected. I can't wait until Lucky joins the household. I hope all goes really well!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sandi, that is GREAT news!!!!!

Shelly's got round worms AGAIN. We drontaled them all, bleached the litterbox, cleaned the house and have to give them the medication again in three weeks.

I know round worms can be really difficult to get rid of, but I can't help wondering if we were somehow tracking larvae in here because of the outside cats. But they're all gone now (except the older ferals - and their feeder is up in the woods, not right here). I really hope this is the last time we have to go through this (and that the poor kitties have to go through it!!!!!)

Sandi - I can't wait.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean, Laurie. I was so bummed when Lucky turned out to have worms after a negative test (probably because I took the sample in too early - before the gestation period was up). I felt so terribly for Lucky - because she definitely acted different, not to mention that time she threw the 2 worms up - YUCK!

I hope this bout of roundworms is over with for your household soon as well. Your poor babies. I feel for them (and you and Gary as well).

(((HUGS))) and many scritches to your purballs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your e-mails, Sandi, and your concern...it is so comforting to know that someone cares. Spike is still hanging in there....poor little guy.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I haven't been online for several days. We have finished the remodeling of the bedroom and therefore, yesterday we opened the other bedroom door (Lucky's room).

She is still very tentative about coming out of there. She'll get about 2 feet out and then run like all heck back in that room. Tonight she was a bit more curious and ventured into the newly remodeled bedroom, but kept running back into her room. Later on, Kitty and Lucky got into a "little" scuffle (gosh, it is SO hard to let them be and not intervene). Nobody got hurt and it surprisingly didn't deter Lucky from investigating outside her room afterwards. In fact, I believe she was actually looking for Kitty again. I think Lucky is willing to allow Kitty to be the Queen Cat because she usually backs down. I feel for Kitty because she's so old now and wants to make sure she's the Top Cat (even over the dog
). Later on our dog went and laid down in the room and Lucky was very curious and just watched her from her perch on the window. Then, she hopped onto the bed and hung her head way off (I thought she was going to fall on the dog she was leaning so far off).

We'll see what tomorrow brings. We've been shutting the door at night and trying to take this slow, but each night we see Lucky venturing out a little bit more and seeming a wee bit more confident. I must mention, when I went in by her tonight she gave me SO many head butts it was amazing. She's a little lover. My brother-in-law was in that room yesterday and she didn't hiss at him, but she didn't go by him either. Now, instead of hiding under the bed when she's frightened, she retreats behind the drapes at one of the windows and lays on the headboard. I think she can see through the drapes (even though we can't see her - only her shadow if it's light out) so she feels safe.

She's come a LONG way. I only hope things continue on fairly well and this isn't the calm before the storm.

To be continued...:tounge2:

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All three of you have come a long way together! Great job!!!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Howdy all!

I think everyone was okay with renaming this thread so that the content would be clearer. I hope you like the new name! If you have a better name idea, please let Laurie or I know and one of us will make the change.

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story will all of us!

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I confess that I am addicted to Lucky's story. Of course, if Miss Kitty has seniority, she deserves respect and the position of alpha cat (dog). We don't want her feelings hurt. I'm so glad Lucky and Kitty have made a start. Dogs are usually very anxious to make friends, but your dog is exceptionally brave! This is getting "excitinger" and "excitinger."

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Debby, somehow I missed the news about Spike! I'm so, so sorry to hear it. My prayers are with you and Spike.

Sandi - Jeanie really hit the nail on the head.

This is getting "excitinger" and "excitinger."
They have had a bit of time to get used to each other through the screen - and it sure sounds like things are going really well so far! Got my fingers crossed. I loved hearing about Lucky craning her neck so far you thought she was going to fall off the bed onto the dog! You've done so much for this little girl. You'll have a happy whole family real soon. :tounge2:

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucky and I are so honored that so many of you are living vicariously through this thread with us and enjoying the "taming/socializing" of our feral girl.

Today Lucky spent a lot of the day in luxury - curled up on the middle of the bed in her blanket. When I walk in there she meows a cute little sound and comes up to me for pets and kisses. (I'm absolute butter in her paws when she shows me all this love :tounge2: ). Usually, it's in the evening around 8 or so when she dares to leave the security of "her" room. For some reason, she's anxious to investigate the hedgehog room. I've got a sneaking suspicion, it's because Kitty has some blankets in there under the heat vent (where Miss Kitty LOVES to sleep) and Lucky wants to investigate this further.

There's definitely a pattern here - when she was outside, you'll remember me telling how she'd dare to come up to the food we put out - each day getting a bit closer, but if we'd come out off she'd go to the fenced area behind/beside the garage. Well...it's the same sort of thing...if she gets spooked - she runs to her "safe room".

Tonight, Kitty did enter Lucky's room and they both "meatloafed" (thanks, Heidi, for the description
) for a bit and stared at each other. Then, almost at the same time they got up and Kitty ran (as fast as she could for her weight and her age) at Lucky and Lucky scooted under the bed. Oh well...progress. Lucky came out shortly thereafter and Kitty left the room as if she'd gotten her point across. I feel for both of them, but am happy this day has finally come.

Do you all think we should be leaving the screen door open ALL the time - even when we're gone? We thought for the first week or so, we'd shut that door when we left home for any length of time. I'm open to any opinions or advice.

Thanks for enjoying our story - my hope is that someone else will get answers and help from our experience.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're wise to take your time. It seems to be working well that way. Let them learn to tolerate each other and then become friends-hopefully.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sandi, since this has become a sticky I forgot to see when you updated it!
Sounds like you are making a lot of progress with Lucky, and with the whole family.
Lucky is such a brave little girl to go exploring so much.
Ophelia has her safe zone, too, and we make sure each time we've moved to establish that area for her. This last time she didn't come out of the bedroom for a good 3 days when we moved, and it is definitely the place she escapes to. Lucky will probably always run to her room when something happens that makes her uncomfortable. Ophelia runs into our room whenever someone comes in the front door (including us, we often just see Ophelia hiney when we come home
until we say her name and she recognizes our voices), when she wants to escape from Trent (that doesn't always help), when there's a loud noise outside or inside. Needless to say, closed doors are not allowed at my house.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sandi! Just wanted you to know I still think about Lucky and the gang!!!! Any recent stories to share? Did you find Miss Kitty and Lucky curled up together yet? LOL! Or Lucky and your hedgehog?

Just wondering how things are going....