So What Are Your Saturday Plans?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had work from 7-4 today. Right now i'm resting for a minute and then i'm going to hop in the shower. Tonight we're having dinner at my boss's house with lots of alcohol and pizza
We're doing a planning party for our shelter's upcomming spring festival
It's going to be fun!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a few things planned for today!

Laundry, cleaning my kitchen, vacuuming my furniture, getting to the corner store, taking out my trash.

I was so tired after exercising yesterday that I slept most of today away
All I managed to get done is a drain tray full of dishes, and now I have my dish washer running with the things in it from last week.

I'll have to do laundry and my furniture tomorrow.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A new kitchen ceiling was NOT one of them!

We had some water damage since we bought the house (3 years ago next week). DH decided to replace the wallboard on the large, damaged part of the ceiling. It's up, but will require 2 more coats of plaster; then painting next week. Meanwhile, since we had to remove the light/fan, the kitchen is being lit by a table lamp. Good side: I have a swell excuse for not cooking all week! (We had take-out pizza for dinner.) The dining room ceiling is also being done now. We're eating in the family room this week!

I HAD planned to finish decorating the my new "boudoir" (really, it's just my own sewing room/guest room). DH moved his craft room into the smaller, former guest room; I took our formerly shared craft room, and have moved the guest room bed and dresser in there. We did this last weekend, and it took 2 whole days to set up his room--mostly due to having to wire in a cable TV outlet. MY room is a mess, with boxes piled all over. Today, I started painting the old, $5 yard sale dresser antiqued white, and painted the hardware flat ("iron") black. It's not going too well. The primer and paint won't stick to the top. I save some $$$$ by painting the curtain rods flat black, and will make red/tan toile valances. I'll paint my desk/worktable antiqued white.

Meanwhile, I asked Mom (who's moving) if I could have my old French provincial armoire back. Some of you may remember this kid's furniture from the '70's. If you tone down the look, it's not bad looking. I have a small dresser in my foyer (a Goodwill buy years ago). I painted it a sort of ivory, and faux-finished the top in green marble, and added new hardware. The armoire is French provincial, good ole Sears Surplus! I was going to buy a painted armoire on ebay (about $500, plus shipping) to put on the blank kitchen wall (no cabinets are there). I have no idea what the builders, back in 1975, had in mind for that wall--it's just BLANK. You can't add cabinets, as they may obstruct the doorway into the family room; may be against code. Yet, you can't put the kitchen table there, ditto. It's just a wall. I had a baker's rack, which just isn't working for me, and the shelves are warped. I really need some large drawer spaces for placemats and tablecloths. I plan to paint the armoire--not to match the hall chest, though. I may even swap out the front cabriole legs, and buy unifinished wood ones at Home Depot. I certainly will change the hideous, Louis-the-Something hardware! (This furniture actually has plastic motifs, painted GOLD on it! I removed those.) The armoire has 3 wide drawers, and open storage behind the top 2 doors. We'll insert 2 more shelves in there for more canned goods storage. I reckon it will cost about $50 to rehab it--much cheaper than ebay!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:
Originally Posted by Momofmany

We're taking down the beams out of our living room ceiling today. There were 6, 28 foot long 4"x10" decorative cedar beams up there. We've got a carpenter over to help us as they are very heavy. In fact, I'm sitting down as the last 6' of the last beam is dropping as I type. We just gained about 475 additional square foot in our living room. Too bad its at the top of the room!

They were put up in 1972 and were hideous. I'll be dancing with glee when we are done with this little project! The only thing left: patch the walls, and put up 1x6 boards over the holes in the ceiling. And we only had 1 large garbage bag of insulation fall onto the floor this time!

Sorry, not making fun of you--but, I can sure identify with "And we only had 1 bag of insulation..."--it sounds like OUR money pit!

Oh, I feel your pain. I'm a child of the'70's, and have seen it all--faux brick (indeed, there's some as a backsplash around my kitchen counter--and, that baby's gonna get smashed with a hammer VERY soon!); faux stone, those beams, harvest gold carpet, avocado green carpet (and sculpted pile, yet); smiley-face crap--including a table lamp in Mom's living room); and God-only-knows how many other decorating outrages I've managed to block out of my memory. And, Mom's house STILL has the faux stone and brick Dad put up back then.

Oh, when we moved the stove, we saw that the faux brick was originally terracotta, WITH BLACK GROUT LINES!!!!!
OMG, it's HIDEOUS. No wonder they painted it white! Normal folks would install a tile backsplash. But, then again, Nothing is normal in this house!

When I stripped off the cat wallpaper from the previous owner (I love cats, but don't want 'em on my walls), I found late '70's country wallpaper under it. With marching geese. With blue bows around their necks. In stripes. It took 3 $)*$^%^ weeks to strip it all off the kitchen walls, plus it ruined a lot of wallboard. I HATE wallpaper!!!! I had to re-plaster the soffits 3 times, and they still aren't right.

Then, there was the '80's pastel wallpaper in the 1/2 bath. Some dimwit (We think Mr. SMith--not his real name) applied some sections with what appeared to be floor adhesive; of course, also in the hardest spots to remove it--behind the toilet and sink. As I was sitting on the floor, after spending literally hours sanding down most of the walls, all of which required re-plastering, done by yours truly, DH got a phone call for Mr. Smith (one of the previous owners, whose jerry-rigged "home improvements" we've been fixing for 3 years) to get his boat out of the dock (we share the same phone #). They asked, "Do you know where we could find him?" I shouted to DH, "No, but I'd like to track that SOB down, so I could get payback for this damned bathroom!"
This guy also used tons of silicone caulking on EVERYTHING. I told DH, "We have more silicone here than a Las Vegas floor show!"

To add insult to injury, when I bought carpet at Home Depot, they asked my phone #, and input it in the pc. "Ok, Mrs. Smith, what color carpet did you want?"

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys have had busy days, Im just kind of living like a cat today!! Sleeping, lazing around, eating!!! (well, trying to laze around with 3 kids!
)