So many questions regarding FLUTD/Feline idiopathic cystitis

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luca was originally seen by the vet for frequent bathroom visits that started to have blood. He also seemed in discomfort. FYI He hates strangers and very strong willed at the vet (straight nasty) I almost think they are scared of him. Anyway he ended up having one visit they said his bladder was empty(good news)but they could not get urine sample do to his behavior. So we came back and they sedated him got a urine sample and did an x-ray. They said no stones and no infection present. They said his white blood cell count was a little elevated. Diagnosed with feline idiopathic cystitis. Gave me all this info regarding relaxing and stress and recommended an rx for dasuquin to repair bladder. Then 3 weeks later emergency vet. He is blocked, bladder full. Catheter placed and told he has a stone and riddled with struvite crystals. Several thousand dollars later and bunch of prescription. I am told he needs to eat Urinary Rx food. I now Have water bowls everywhere. However we have tried all of the rx urinary formulas. Royal canin, Hills and pro plan He will not eat any of them. I feel so lost the vets office keeps saying he needs to eat them but he is going to starve himself. Not to mention all the meds can’t be easy on an empty stomach. Help!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kind of food did he eat prior to this? Dry or wet? If it was dry and now they are trying to give him wet food, I can see how that is an issue. If it was wet, was it pate, or minced, or what? Those RX foods come in different varieties, like pate, stew, even kibble, although feeding kibble to a cat with urinary issues seems counter productive. BUT, if that's the only thing he'll eat, you can't let him starve himself or he'll get other health issues. Did your Vet discuss using D-Mannose and/or cornsilk as well? These are things that can help that you can add to his food to help with urinary issues. And, as you are already well aware, hydration, hydration, hydration. There are even special waters available now that aid in hydration.

As to stress, that can also play a huge part in this, so here is an article on how to help with that: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with all of the above! But I am also curious about the 'bunch of prescription' comment you made. Can you elaborate on this? There are food enticers to try to get Luca to eat the Rx foods but knowing more about whether or not they are wet food vs. dry is helpful.

How old is he, btw? And has he had issues in the past. More information is always better than not enough!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had previously eaten a mixture of wet and dry. Rachael rae Nutrish and Simply Nourish wet and Blue Wilderness indoor weight control chicken dry. The wet has Chunks of Food he definitely hates pates and morsels. The food was all fish which I’ve read can be bad but he also doesn’t like turkey or chicken. Purchased Purina Hydra Care and he wouldn’t touch. He is currently taking amoxicillin/clav possible secondary infection from licking and catheter also has Gabapentin, Buprenorphine, just finished Onsior And Prazosin. He is 3.5 years old and never had any issues prior. I guess he could of had crystal prior without us knowing? Nothing else has been recommended besides finding a rx urinary diet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat also does not like pate though used to. Now it's shredded chicken or pieces of meat in broth. She likes a variety of weruva and weruva trulex

weruva glam n punk, chicken frickazee,weruva trulex steak frites,weruva trulex duck,wellness core cuts in gravy,weruva press your lunch in hydrating puree(jello like texture so pieces can be cut)
Some weruva includes fish thou it says it doesn't

Www.Catfooddb.com

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just what I would do - if my cat would not eat the Rx food, I would feed only wet food but give him the brands he is used to and try to slowly make a change away from the fish flavors (like mix simply nourish turkey in with the fish he loves) and see what ratio you can get kitty to take. It beats fighting with a cat who has already clearly been through a lot, and most cats HATE change, even what would be considered good change. In this case, the right food might make him feel better, but he will feel even worse without eating.

To me, feeding any wet has to be better for any bladder/kidney issues than him not eating enough. And yes, if the goal is lower phosphorus, you might have to try something other than the RX food (like the new Weruva WX - it even has one with fish, but again, I would try to mix it with the chicken one to reduce the fish amount). The antibiotic could also be hurting his appetite, so maybe, until that course is over, you could offer his regular wet food mixed with jarred baby food (I usually buy Beechnut chicken, beef, or turkey). --Weruva/BFF has many lower-phosphorus wet foods. Under the Questions section on Chewy, they often answer the question about how much phosphorus is in foods on a dry matter basis.

You may have to compromise for a while. I have a kitty who is 13, and her preferred food at the moment has more phosphorus than I would like her to eat daily, but she walked away from the food "I liked" with lower phosphorus, so for now, this is what she is eating and is not having digestive issues - which she had with some other foods I tried that "I liked" for her to eat. For now, she is consistently eating - and at least it is all wet food, which I feel is better for her older kidneys that dry. Keep us updated!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Luca was originally seen by the vet for frequent bathroom visits that started to have blood. He also seemed in discomfort. FYI He hates strangers and very strong willed at the vet (straight nasty) I almost think they are scared of him. Anyway he ended up having one visit they said his bladder was empty(good news)but they could not get urine sample do to his behavior. So we came back and they sedated him got a urine sample and did an x-ray. They said no stones and no infection present. They said his white blood cell count was a little elevated. Diagnosed with feline idiopathic cystitis. Gave me all this info regarding relaxing and stress and recommended an rx for dasuquin to repair bladder. Then 3 weeks later emergency vet. He is blocked, bladder full. Catheter placed and told he has a stone and riddled with struvite crystals. Several thousand dollars later and bunch of prescription. I am told he needs to eat Urinary Rx food. I now Have water bowls everywhere. However we have tried all of the rx urinary formulas. Royal canin, Hills and pro plan He will not eat any of them. I feel so lost the vets office keeps saying he needs to eat them but he is going to starve himself. Not to mention all the meds can’t be easy on an empty stomach. Help!
For commercial food weruva steak frites is the lowest in phosphorus according to Tanya's website. Shredded chicken. You can mix it with prescription food if needed

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone this is so overwhelming. I’m headed to the natural pet store to find all the recommendations.

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are not kidding the writing is so small. Have to use flash light on phone Every time.

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m wondering now if some of his adversity to all this food could somehow be related to the amox/clav he has been on for possible secondary infection?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is not wanting to eat anything at all, then it could definitely be the antibiotic. But if he is still eating his normal food with gusto, then it's probably not that.

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he just picking at his normal food that he loves. He has been on the antibiotic for 5 days suppose to be on for 2 more days Grrr.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be a food aversion - he doesn't feel good from the antibiotics and blames the food for it. Have you considered baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) in the interim? A lot of cats who are even experiencing nausea/stomach upset seem to like eating them.

Judysol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did not see link