So I have a new kitty...I named him Freckles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:  He got chest (A/P and lateral) x-rays and bloodwork, everything came back clear!  His eosinophils were a little high, so we plan to worm him again soon.  For now, I'm just glad that things look good.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaand he hated the lard.  It's going to be a week or so before I'll have chicken skins, so until then I'll just be feeding regular food.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Aaaaaand he hated the lard.  It's going to be a week or so before I'll have chicken skins, so until then I'll just be feeding regular food.
That's unfortunate. Sorry he didn't like the lard 

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to mutton? I buy it from mypetcarnivore, and it is very fatty. It is also very smelly, and my cat won't eat it unless I mix in beef or rabbit. You never know - yours might like it. He hates the coconut oil that my cat loves, so they may be opposites.

Lamb or mutton trimmings are another idea. I usually trim off quite a bit of fat from leg of lamb.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@AbbyNTim I tasted the lard, it had no taste.  Clearly this boy just doesn't like his food messed with.

OK, had the eye appt today, he was a really good boy and the poor little guy purred through the whole exam (probably frightened).  The vet was pretty sure that it is NOT cancer.  But, he thinks the greatest possibility may be a dry form of FIP (which can turn into wet).  I was shocked, I never thought about FIP as a problem with this cat.

I took a picture of the report from the eye doc.

He was concerned about bartonella and toxoplasmosis as a possible cause if it isn't FIP, and told me to separate the cats.  Then while speaking with just the vet tech, she said FIP is contagious and I need to separate the cats...first, I see separating them at this point as futile.  Second, even if I separated them now, I'm probably going to end up medicating the others for bart or toxo as a prophylactic, right?  The retest of some things like FIV/FeLV was just a cheaper way to get the tests we needed, BTW.

I admit it, I'm scared to death that I may have hurt my other cats.  They are acting perfectly normal though, actually all of them have been more goofy and playful lately.  So, I keep telling myself just to calm down and hopefully the bart and toxo test will be in tomorrow.  I have a friend that can pick up the meds for me in case I get the news late while on the way to work.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Freckles' initial x-rays and blood work came back good. But gosh, FIP? 
  I hope the vet is wrong. Poor Freckles. Keep us posted on the other tests!

I'm sure your other cats are okay. 
  But probably good to keep them separated for now.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I'm sorry. Having things up in the air and unknown is the worst feeling. I hope everything works out for the best!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:  His blood work came back as unremarkable, actually it's improved since the first blood work in that the globulins are within normal limits.  I think they were elevated before due to getting nutrition after a starved state, but I'll see what the vets say about that.  Negative for Toxoplasmosis, positive for coronavirus titer but the level doesn't indicate FIP, negative for everything else except bartonella which we're waiting on results for.  Yay for FIP being taken off the table!

He's still finicky about food, but he's still eating.  Sometimes it's a tablespoon of chicken, sometimes it's 1/2 cup.  I've been putting in a lot of hours at work so I just try to make sure he's eaten even if it's only a tablespoon.  My other cats only get 1/4 cup or less so I know he's still getting nutrition.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news about the blood work!
on the bartonella test.

I'm sorry he's being finicky. Gosh, I hate that. Do you notice if he eats more at one mealtime than another? My cats all seem to eat better at dinner. 

I keep forgetting to mention that Hare Today has a pork trim that is apparently pretty fatty. It actually got "bad" reviews for being fatty, but given that's what you want, it might be worth a try: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=257. The problem is, if he doesn't like it, then you're stuck with 5 lbs. of pork trim! 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep forgetting to mention that Hare Today has a pork trim that is apparently pretty fatty. It actually got "bad" reviews for being fatty,
wait... wut?

What the heck do people think pork trim is?

Haven't they heard the phrase "trimming the fat"... what else would it be?   
    lol

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I guess it was fattier than what they expected? 
  Their beef trim did not get the same kind of reviews; people seem to like the beef trim. Again, I don't know. I haven't ordered either; just going by the descriptions and reviews and remembered seeing those comments about the pork trim.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all!  I definitely want to get an order from HT.  I've been playing "catch-up" on so many things that this just fell by the wayside.  Pork and beef trimming both sound like great choices for Freckles, he likes both but pork is his favorite.

He doesn't prefer one meal time over another that I've seen, it's like sometimes he's just still full from the last meal?  He'll eat a hearty breakfast then a bit for a snack then no dinner...then a hearty breakfast and doesn't want a snack and bit for dinner...then no breakfast and big dinner.  He eats pork the best but sometimes doesn't want much, loves Cornish hen, he likes beef, and OK but not crazy about chicken.  Last night he cleaned his plate of chicken though.  Again I'm wondering if it is fullness that's getting him.  He did live the past 5 or so years on Kit N Kaboodle dry, his poops were heinous while on it, so he may have some digestion issues?  Obviously the poop smell cleared up greatly when on raw, although I have no clue how often he's going or anything like that.  No constipation or diarrhea, that's the best I can tell you.  Isn't that awful that I don't know?  I of all people know how important that is to know. 

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peaches, I was wondering if you have ever tried B12 injectionson Freckles. I have an IBD cat that had trouble gaining weight till I started giving him B12. Within a week he had gained 1/2 pound and is now a healthy weight. It also seems to help with appetite. Maybe you can ask your vet. Just a thought.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:  Strong positive for bartonella.  He has doxycycline called in at a compounding pharmacy, and I've called my regular vet to see if my other cats need treatment as well.  We're not 100% sure that this is the cause of the uveitis, but obviously we still need to treat both and see what happens over time.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

UPDATE:  Strong positive for bartonella.  He has doxycycline called in at a compounding pharmacy, and I've called my regular vet to see if my other cats need treatment as well.  We're not 100% sure that this is the cause of the uveitis, but obviously we still need to treat both and see what happens over time.
Boo hiss! 
  BUT at least you know and can now treat it. Hopefully he'll start to perk up with/after the doxy. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Boo hiss! 
  BUT at least you know and can now treat it. Hopefully he'll start to perk up with/after the doxy. 

Believe it or not, I'm glad to hear it's bartonella that may be causing the uveitis because it's something we can treat!  We can't treat FIP, or autoimmune/idiopathic very easily if at all.  So some antibiotics will clear it up?  That's a great deal to me!  I'm just worried about my other cats until I hear back from my vet as to whether or not they need to be treated too.  No sense in just passing this mess back and forth.

Heard back from my vet, he said that unless my cats are showing symptoms to not worry about it at this time.  They are in the middle of the zoomies right now so I'd say they're fine.  He also asked about raw feeding suppliers, he's got some cats he wants on a high protein diet (personal, customer???), so I told him about HT and Alnutrin. 

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all!  I definitely want to get an orde
from HT.  I've been playing "catch-up" on so many things that this just fell by the wayside.  Pork and beef trimming both sound like great choices for Freckles,
likes both but pork is his favorite.
He doesn't prefer one meal time over
another that I've seen, it's like sometimes he's just still full from the last meal?  He'll eat a hearty breakfast then a bit for a
snack then no dinner...then a hearty breakfast and doesn't want a snack an
bit for dinner...then no breakfast and big dinner.  He eats pork the best but sometimes doesn't want much, loves
Cornish hen, he likes beef, and OK buy.not crazy about chicken.  Last night he cleaned his plate of chicken though.  Again I'm wondering if it is fullness that's getting him.  He did live the past 5 or s
years on Kit N Kaboodle dry, his poops were heinous while on it, so he may have some digestion issues?  Obviously the poop smell cleared up greatly when on
raw, although I have no clue how ofte
he's going or anything like that.  No constipation or diarrhea, that's the best I can tell you.  Isn't that awful that I don't know?  I of all people know how
important that is to know.  :doh3:
well he's certainly not a Jewish cat in case you were wondering. He lives his pork but not haooybsbout