SO Excited!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I received Tsekani's pedigrees by email. Still waiting on the official ones from CFA.

His Grandparents are:

Kikori Memphis II Sire (Silver)
Sharbees Calypso Queen Dam (Silver)

Sharbees Qwasi Mystiquexs Sire (Bronze)
Sharbees Snow Princess Dam (Silver)

So yes, I know that if I do plan to breed him someday that I need to find a silver queen. My goals for the short term are to get him to some shows.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Really? I've not met a cat yet I could not bathe. But if they are show cats, then they should (in any breed) get used to baths and grooming from the beginning
Maybe it's a Mau thing? The first few times I bathed Bailey, he howled as though I were killing him. He got away from me once or twice, racing throughout the house looking half drowned. He learned, though. Now he might meow once or twice, but he knows he'll get treats afterwards.

Bailey is said to be very calm for a Mau. I'd hate to think of what bathing must be like for a more anxious cat.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

So yes, I know that if I do plan to breed him someday that I need to find a silver queen. My goals for the short term are to get him to some shows.
You can also breed him to a smoke queen, if you are at all interested in working with smoke Maus. They don't get the recognition in the show ring that they deserve, but I've noticed that silvers out of smokes often have really startling contrast.

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Golden Kitty45 says
PHP Code:

Code:
if they are show cats, then they should (in any breed) get used to baths and grooming from the beginning. 
Right you are, Golden Kitty. A preshow bath is a prerequisite. Many of you "old timers" have seen our recipe for bathing a Turkish Van before, but there are sure to be some out there for whom this is new. When Samwise and Molly were on the show circuit, before they retired to the beach, this was our recipe for a preshow bath. Was it exciting!

Recipe for a Turkish Van Bath

1. Clip claws
2. Get Goop hand cleaner, (not the orange variety) at Wal-Mart or auto-parts store.
3. Get a small bucket and use a spatula to scoop out the goop.
4. Fill the goop container with shampoo (Acclaim, Flex, or just plain cheap stuff)
5. Pour shampoo in with the Goop and mix 50:50 with a whisk.
6. Microwave Goop mix for 40 seconds
7. Dilute “E-Z Groom Crystal White Shampoo†about 8:1 with water. Mix and microwave for 30 seconds (needs to be warm when you put it on the cat so if you have a helper you can wait to microwave)
8. Gather 3-4 old towels
9. Put on clothes that can get wet. Alternatively, remove clothes within realm of modesty. At times modesty itself has gone away as fur and water starts flying.
10. Take cat and Goop and towels into bathroom and shut door.
11. Put one towel folded on the floor in front of the bathtub so you can kneel (and perhaps pray).
12. Put cat in bathtub facing away from you and hold by the scruff of the neck. Don't be afraid to hold on hard, it doesn't hurt them. You can also try the armpit restraint method. Grab a front leg where the leg meets the shoulder and hold on tightly. You can hold both front legs or one depending on the cat.
13. With one hand, pour part of the Goop down the DRY cat's back and tail, and use hand application to get other parts. You can use the tail to mop up extra goop.

14. Work the Goop mix into the dry fur, making sure to get the arm and leg pits and chest. Go up the neck but don't do the face.
15. Dilute some mix (very dilute) and use a washcloth for the face if necessary, being careful not to get it in the eyes or ears (It burns)
16. Rinse the cat. If you have a bucket, use that, or if you have a hand held shower head you can bring the water to the cat. Rinse the head with a washcloth.
17. Make sure you get all the mix out of the cat, especially the underside, chest and arm and leg pits. The fur should be near squeaky clean. You can't rinse too much.
18. Put the warm dilute Crystal White on the cat and lather. You only need to get the white parts.
19. Take the cat out and wrap tightly in a towel so only the head is out (a cat taco).
20. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a good idea to use some cotton swabs to clean the ears at this point while the cat is a cat taco.
21. Wait 5-10 minutes. Apologize profusely and lie to cat, telling him itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s almost over.
22. Unwrap and rinse well.
23. Apply Flex shampoo (green cap) to cat, lather and rinse, rinse, rinse. Diluting the shampoo slightly and pouring it over the cat is easier than putting the shampoo on full strength.
24. Rinse some more
25. Mix 1/3 cup white vinegar to one gallon water and pour over cat to rinse. Use a lot on the tail and chest area.
26. Rinse the cat so he doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smell like a pickle.
27. Wrap in a towel and apologize. Lie again, and say you will never bathe him again.
28. Unwrap, and use another towel or two to dry. Fluff the fur the wrong way for faster drying.
29. Vans are wash and wear, after you get as dry as possible with towels let your now unhappy cat go and groom. They get over the bathing thing fairly quickly though.
30 When the fur is partly dry you can brush it up to speed the process, but you don't have to.
31. Also optional: take pictures because your cat is funny when itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s wet

32. If the cat is really squirrelly lift the cat partly in the air by the scruff. Much noise will probably be made but do not fall for the “pity me†ruse.

Take a look at Samwise's photo in our siggy and you will see that this works.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a very humourous read. I will definitely bath Tsekani, but I don't think I will do all of those steps. I also think I'll wait a few weeks before bathing, he is just getting used to me. If I put him in a show, the first one will be at 9 months, in April.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beach Bum, I have heard it said that Turkish Vans are the most difficult cats to groom. You sequence of steps confirms this!
I don't do much different from you when I bathe my Vans, though I'll have to try the microwaving thing sometime. I use the Goop alone as a seperate step, focusing mainly on the tail. I also use E-Z Groom Almond as a pre-shampoo and Plum White as a finishing shampoo. At the end, I use some diluted Redkin Smooth Down conditioner to add moisture to the tail. Voila! A clean Van, ready to flop in his litter box. . .

BTW, are you a member of the Turkish Vans yahoo group? If not, I'd love to repost this

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That is a very humourous read. I will definitely bath Tsekani, but I don't think I will do all of those steps. I also think I'll wait a few weeks before bathing, he is just getting used to me. If I put him in a show, the first one will be at 9 months, in April.
Sohni - we all wish you and Tsekani the very best. You sound like a great duo, and we are certain that Tsekani will do well if you decide to show him. We hope you do, as it is an experience you owe it to yourself to have.

No, you will not have to give him a "Van Bath." The main addition to the Van Bath as compared with most preshow baths is the Goop and Crystal White Shampoo. If you do not know what Goop is, ask a mechanic. It is a cleaner mechanics use to clean grease off their hands. Its consistency is much like mayonnaise. It comes in orange and white colors. For obvious reasons white is used for Turkish Van's -- although we have been tempted to use the orange goop on Samwise and Molly's tails.

A Turkish Van's coat is noticeably oily, as compared to that of most cats. They do not have an undercoat. Some suspect that their oily coat is a natural adaptation to the history of the Turkish Van in the wild. They are sometimes called "The Swimming Cat." In the wild they were known to go into lakes and streams to catch fish as a part of their diet. The oil could be expected to shed water, much as a duck does.

Anyway, the Goop's purpose is to clean the coat of the natural oil, since the oil can collect dirt and dust -- not a good thing at a show.

All the best way up there in BC, from way down here in Texas,

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Beach Bum, I have heard it said that Turkish Vans are the most difficult cats to groom. You sequence of steps confirms this!
I don't do much different from you when I bathe my Vans, though I'll have to try the microwaving thing sometime. I use the Goop alone as a seperate step, focusing mainly on the tail. I also use E-Z Groom Almond as a pre-shampoo and Plum White as a finishing shampoo. At the end, I use some diluted Redkin Smooth Down conditioner to add moisture to the tail. Voila! A clean Van, ready to flop in his litter box. . .

BTW, are you a member of the Turkish Vans yahoo group? If not, I'd love to repost this
We didn't know there was a Turkish Van yahoo group. We will look it up this evening or tomorrow and see about joining. We are a member of Vantastix. I suspect that perhaps you are too, or perhaps you know well or are related to a member? Linda?

Isn't it aggravating, when after you go to all that work the Vans do just as you say -- they flop right down and go to sleep in their litter box in their show cage. Sometimes you want to kill them.

You are most welcome to repost our Recipe for a Turkish Van Bath.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beach - here's mine

Rexes:

1. Run bath water first.
2. Clip nails and clean ears.
3. Wash face with warm water and a tiny bit of soap - only around the chin and back of the ears.
4. Put cat in water.
5. Keep using the washcloth to wet entire cat from neck down.
6. Tell cat to stay still.
7. Put Nexxus Simply Silver on your hands and rub into wet coat thoroughly.
8. Rinse out shampoo.
9. Put a little Nexxus conditioner for permed hair.
10. Rinse out conditioner.
11. Drain tub.
12. Wrap towel around cat and dry.
13. Turn cat loose in room to air dry in 5-10 mins

Now Charlie is done the same way except he has a different shampoo and no conditioner. We do use the vinegar rinse on him tho.

Rexes from bath to dry is about 20 mins.
Ocicats from bath to dry is about 2 hrs at the most - most of that is air drying time.

Actual bath is about 10 mins for both

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beach Bum,

I know that Van transformation all too well! Samwise looks lovely, his coat is so full and plush looking. . . what a beautiful boy!

My sister is a member of Vantastix. I should be joining soon, as she's sending me on a mission to Turkey next year. . .
her job prevents her from leaving the country at this point. Linda is our mentor/breeder; such a wonderful person! I could sing her praises all day.

Now Sonhi, here is my personal recipe for an Adult Mau bath. Kitten coats have a different texture, but your boy's coat looks very mature for a 5 month old.

1). Clip Nails
2). Wet cat with warm water, shower heads or sink faucets with a host work best.
3) Wash cat with a pre-shampoo. I like to use E-Z groom Silky Almond since it smells so lovely.
4) Wash cat with a finishing whitening shampoo. I prefer Plum White, but any whitening shampoo works.
5) Rinse Cat with a solution of vinegar and water to cut out the suds.
6) Condition cat, focusing on torso, with a combination of Frizz Ease Rehydrate and Redkin Smooth Down. The Smooth Down is great because it contains macadamia nut oils, which help to keep the spots from getting fuzzy.
7) Rinse cat until you no longer feel any conditioner, then rinse for one minute more to make sure it is out.
8) Let cat dry in a WARM spot. Maus are a lot more sensitive to cold than other breeds.
9) Do not comb your cat if he has substantial stripes on his spine. This will break up the stripes when he dries, revealing the silver underneath.
10) Pet cat with a silk scarf to further smooth down stripes and spots and also remove loose fur.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris - you think the Smooth Down would work on Charlie's spots - tho he doesn't seem to have a problem.

I'm using a bit of Bay Rum on his coat for static and to give a little more "slick/dark" look.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ferris - you think the Smooth Down would work on Charlie's spots - tho he doesn't seem to have a problem.

I'm using a bit of Bay Rum on his coat for static and to give a little more "slick/dark" look.
I imagine it would work quite well, I've found it makes those spots stand out like magic. Before I started using the smooth down, a spectator came up to me and wanted to know why my cat's spots were so fluffy and fuzzy
Of course, she was comparing Bailey to Sunny, the first Mau National Winner. . .

I've never had my hands on an Ocicat before, so I have no idea how their coat texture feels. The Ocicat standard has a lot more to say about the coat texture than the Mau standard, though (hmm. . . maybe Mau people need to look into this. . .)
Ocicat:
COAT TEXTURE: short, smooth and satiny in texture with a lustrous sheen. Tight, close-lying and sleek, yet long enough to accommodate the necessary bands of color. There should be no suggestion of woolliness.

Mau
"hair is dense and resilient in texture "

Like I said, I started using the smooth down to get rid of a certain fuzzy texture Bailey had-- it worked like a charm!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie's coat does fit that standard - its tight and close laying. During winter months you get that static. Bay rum does help it. Might just stick to that at the shows - he got 2 finals against tough competition in the October show. I hope he does better at this next show in a few weeks - hopefully less cats there

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since this thread has such good advice about cat shows, I wanted to ask a question. Sohni loves his new toy, Tsekani. They tear all over the house playing and tussling. I have left Tsekani's claws unclipped because Sohni outweighs him by 6 lbs. Sohni's claws are blunted every few days.

My question is about their tussling. They get quite loud when they roll around on the bed, but should I be worried about Sohni being too rough and giving Tsekani some mark that may be bad for his show career? ie. nicked ear. I'd hate to keep them separated.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My question is about their tussling. They get quite loud when they roll around on the bed, but should I be worried about Sohni being too rough and giving Tsekani some mark that may be bad for his show career? ie. nicked ear. I'd hate to keep them separated.
In my experience, Maus can be a bit overdramatic with their meows. However, you need to be the best judge. Cats are generally good about not hurting one another when they are just playing. I wouldn't worry about a nicked ear unless you see Sohni going for the ears. Since Sohni has his claws, he won't be as tempted to resort to "dirty" tactics while play fighting. In my opinion, it would be better to keep the two together. You want Tsekani to be used to having other cats around.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, I get quite worried as Tsekani keeps up a constant mew, mew, mew, rawr, mew when they are play fighting, but when I look closely, half the time Sohni is not even touching Tsekani when Tsekani is mewing. Sohni never makes a sound. I seperate them when Sohni pins his ears flat and gets really angry. But usually Tsekani will jump on top of Sohni as soon as his back is turned, so he is an instigator.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO all cats nails need to be kept short no matter how big or little they are. One it prevents injuries (younger cats don't always keep claws in) and two, you get them used to clipping nails and not give you a problem.

Please clip all the cats nails.