So angry with the catsitter.

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am BEYOND angry with my cat sitter.

My partner and I adopted two little girl kitties who were sick. They're on a special diet right now and we didn't want to transition them to any kind of kibbles or anything before Christmas because they'd just gotten over being sick and we need to supervise new foods because one of them is VERY allergic to rice and we may have other allergies we don't know yet. So we called up our friend who lives next door and who lived with us over the summer, free of charge. We've never asked for a PENNY in return for looking after her son or letting her live with us or anything, so we didn't think it would be a big deal to ask her to look after the cats, provided she wasn't going out of town. We made up meals for the babies (who are two, but we refer to them as 'the babies' because they're tiny) and put them in labelled baggies in our fridge. We had her over to show her where the food was for the big cats and how to refill the cat fountain.

Now, normally when we go out of town for up to three days, we just stack up loads of kibble for the big cats, clean the litter pans and leave out extra water, up higher so Leo won't drown himself in it. We also leave the sink on a tiny trickle. We didn't do that because we had a cat sitter coming over to look after them.

We got back tonight and all the labeled baggies were gone for the babies, so we're assuming they got fed. The big cats, however, had NO food and their fountain was empty. It takes around three to four days for the fountain to be TOTALLY empty and dry (I forgot to fill it once right after we got it). It was dry and making the most AWFUL sound when we got home. Their food dish was totally empty and all the crumbs were gone (they usually drop crumbs around their food dish and they only eat those if they run out of food for some reason, like if we go out or whatever. We don't feed them at regular times of day--they're free-range fed so we just feed when we notice the dish is getting low or when they ask for more), so I know they'd been out of food for at least 24 hours for the floor to be that clean.

Leo is so upset by this that he started peeing outside of the litter pan. As far as I can tell, he waited until we got home to take his first 'outside' pee, which he did immediately after we got home.

I'm livid. Any time that Leo pees outside of the litter pan, we have to start at day-one with litter pan training. He has to be put in an empty room with nothing but food, a very shallow dish of water and his litter pan for at least 48 hours, then we can start letting him have supervised visitations to the outside world. I HATE doing this to him. I wanted to come home and spend time with my babies, not lock Leo away.

I'm FURIOUS with her and I just can't IMAGINE how she thought this was okay. I'm glad that the babies were, evidently, well looked after, but the big cats needed care too! We didn't leave them ready to be self-sufficient for any length of time because they shouldn't have needed to.

How can ANYONE let this happen to someone else's cats? I'm so upset I can't even think. Leo doesn't NEED this crap. I wish I'd gone with my first instinct and taken the cats with us to my partner's house, but it would have cost us about 200 bucks to take them on the train!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, how awful!
Can you ask her what happened to them? How come there was not food or water for the big cats? I mean, that is basic! She HAS to give you an explanation!
I am so sorry that happened... Hope they all get back to normal soo, I am glad you are home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll be asking politely, but she's central to our circle of friends so it'd be literally social suicide to make too big a fuss, unfortunately. She won't be looking after any of our babies ever again, I'll tell you that much. I just don't know how we'll ever be able to leave town again. We can't board the cats, it'd be too hard on Leo to be in a strange environment without me. I don't know if I'll ever trust someone to come into my home and look after them. They're my babies and I never thought that someone I count as a close friend could be so IGNORANT.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thoenix

I'll be asking politely, but she's central to our circle of friends so it'd be literally social suicide to make too big a fuss, unfortunately. She won't be looking after any of our babies ever again, I'll tell you that much. I just don't know how we'll ever be able to leave town again. We can't board the cats, it'd be too hard on Leo to be in a strange environment without me. I don't know if I'll ever trust someone to come into my home and look after them. They're my babies and I never thought that someone I count as a close friend could be so IGNORANT.
I don't know about making a big fuss, but I, personally couldn't hold myself to be polite either. Those are your babies and she seriously messed up! I would be very firm to say the least.
About going out of town, ask your vet techs if they pet-sit, many do... I struck the lottery with my vet tech, she is an angel and I trust no one more than her. True, you do need to pay, but the peace of mind is priceless. She gives Bugsy medicine, follows directions to the "T",and absolutely LOVES my babies

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you talked to your neighbor to find out what happened? Did you leave extra food for the babies? I'm wondering if she might have fed that to all of the cats since she apparently used it all up. You might want to wait a while until you've calmed down some---not so easy to do.

I know just how you're feeling. I had something similar happen when Goldy's kittens were less than two weeks old. I had a 4-day conference that had been planned months before Goldy came into my life. My neighbor offered to take care of the cats and I took her up on it instead of having a friend drive several miles each day. I showed her where everything was and left written instructions along with me cell phone number in case there were any problems.

I called my neighbor when I left the conference to let her know I would be home in four hours. She said "Oh, I haven't been able to get over there since Thursday morning, but I'm sure the kitties are okay because they hadn't eaten all their food then." She didn't take into account that I had fed them their wet food just before I left and put out more than the normal amount of food for the next day.

I knew they had enough water in their reservoir, but three days without food is too much! I spent the entire 4-hour drive in a panic thinking I was going to get home to three starving adults and three dead babies.

I couldn't believe I wasn't mobbed at the door, especially when I saw that all of the cans of wet food I had left for her were still sitting on the counter unopened. I discovered that my very intelligent kitties had managed to get the lid off a plastic tub full of food that I had forgotten lock up in the pantry. They just helped themselves to whatever they wanted to eat. Of course, the litter boxes were practically overflowing, but that didn't worry me so much.

Everything turned out okay, but that particular neighbor has never been asked to watch my kitties for so much a single day since then.

I hope Leo gets back on track quickly.

Lots of calming
coming your way.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah , it's hard to know who to trust to look after your babies. Like Carolina, I use a vet tech who works at a nearby practice. My boyfriend also used a v-tech from his vet clinic to look after his cat, till the cat passed on at the ripe old age of 20.

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't leave them extra food because it never crossed my mind that they wouldn't be fed by someone that used to live with us and knows that the food dish CANNOT be empty or Leo's behaviour becomes erratic. We left exactly the number of meals prepared as she needed to feed the babies for, so it's awfully hard to think that all four cats could have been fed the meals for the babies. Especially since my partner explained the cats' different meals (Leo will only eat kibble and 'human' food, Shini hates all forms of food except kibble and chicken and the babies are on a blend of raw patties mixed with potato, but we've been weaning them off the potato to get the protein and fat levels up so that we can start adding kibble to their diet this week). The baggies were clearly labeled with names, dates and times of day and the big cats' bucket of food was sitting where it's sat since this girl and her son lived with us. She also knows that the fountain needs to be checked regularly because Leo cannot have a normal water dish with more than a centimetre of water or we risk him injuring himself with it.

I just keep thinking "What if the motor, being dry, had set fire to the flat with all four babies?" Or what if they'd gotten all sick from not eating? What if what if what if!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Issues like this is why I became a pet sitter ...

Even though she was not a professional I still would be asking some very firm questions... My guess is since you kinda called and threw it on her last minute maybe with some questioning you will find out she had local plans...Not an excuse but prehaps so information did not get exchanged right

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't throw this on her last minute. We asked her if it would be okay more than two weeks ago. If the babies weren't healthy enough to be okay with just twice-daily feeding, I was going to stay behind for Christmas to nurse them. She has lived with us in the past so she's familiar with how the big cats get fed. And, judging from the baggies having been emptied from food for the babies, she was here at least once per day. No excuse not to feed the big cats. And add in that we contacted her a MINIMUM of once per day to make sure the babies were okay and that there hadn't been any litter pan accidents with Leo (I was prepared to trek home by myself asap if one of the babies had seemed at all off and she knew this)... This wasn't some last-minute thing. We asked her as soon as we realised that the babies weren't healthy when we got them and that, while they would likely be done meds, they probably wouldn't be on kibble.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to confront her, I'd do it tonight. That way, you come off more as a concerned cat parent than coming off as premeditated and only looking to start a fight. I think she'll be more apt to answering your questions honestly if you asked tonight under the guise of merely being worried about your cats. Just say "When we got home, Leo peed right in front of us, and I noticed his food bowl was empty. Did you forget to feed the big cats one day?" There's no way she could ever get mad at you for asking that (you said you definitely didnt want to upset her) and she'll be more apt to admit a shortfall.

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was going away this afternoon and was to feed the cats this morning before she left, then we were to take care of the evening feeding. So we can't contact her tonight as she is out. We should be seeing her tomorrow, though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my younger brother watch my pets last time my mom and I went out of town. I left him very specific instructions that he did follow well. Except when I got home, nobody had any water! I guess "make sure they have enough food and water" isn't quite specific enough for him. Next time I'll have to put "empty, rinse, and re-fill water dishes daily" or something like that. He has Aspie tendencies (well, so do I) so he's very literal, and if I called him on it he would refuse to watch them next time. So I didn't say anything. But still, it's kind of amazing what perfectly intelligent people overlook. You'd like to think it's just common sense to feed the big cats, or re-fill the water dishes, or whatever, but I guess not.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Were you paying her to do this or was she just taking care of them as a favor to you?

The reason I'm asking is because, so often our friends just don't "get it" when it comes to our cats. A lot of people think that cats are pretty much self-sufficient and can make do. They just don't understand. Friends and relatives are both like that sometimes.

I would definitely ask her what happened. And because there will be other times when you're going to have to leave your cats, call your vet or talk to your kitty friends about who they have to watch their pets when they're away. A really good petsitter can be expensive, but it's so worth it, if for nothing more than your peace of mind.

Our petsitter charges us $18 per visit and she always comes twice a day when we're not home....when Mollipop was a baby-girl and we had to go to VA to a wedding, we had her come in three times a day that weekend, just because we were worried. She fed the kids, scooped litterboxes, got our newspapers and mail and even turned our pool pump on and off. She walked around the house and even checked the basement. You cannot go wrong with a good petsitter; they're usually bonded and insured. And because they went into that business because they love animals, your furkids are going to receive very good care.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry, this is terrible, if she used to live with you then there is no excuse at all and surely she heard the water fountain making noises she would have used her brain and filled it up again?This is just pure ignorance and I know how you feel about not being able to say too much.Our neighbours looked after our kitties when we went away and I will never ask them again, they have cats of their own and they totally let us down, the same litter was in the tray as the day we went away and we were away for a whole week, the cats peed and pooped all over the house but I couldn't say too much as they are good friends and you just don't want the hassle do you? I will learn from my mistake if we ever go away again.
I hope it doesn't take too lon for Leo to get right again, what a post christmas downer.xx

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just awful. I feel bad for you and your cats. Poor Leo.

I'd wait to discuss the situation with the offender. I'd wait until I could state my objections without emotion. But social circle or not, I would avoid this person in the future. She is irresponsible. I wonder how well she cares for her child.

I use professional petsitters who I found through a referral. I second all Winchester said about all they do and how much they are worth it.

It sounds like you did all you could to make the situation run smoothly. She didn't follow instructions because she didn't care - about your cats or what you'd think. Now you know about her character.

I hope Leo is back to himself very soon.

Robin

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't pay her. It never occurred to me to offer her money since she has never offered us money for looking after her child--we babysit him on a semi-regular basis. I really figured turn-about was fair play, you know?

From now on, the only one of our friends who will be watching our cats is the friend we usually use and, otherwise, we'll be getting a professional cat sitter.

thoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've paroled him for a bit. I'm hoping MAYBE that not enough damage was done to him that he'll be okay with a 12 hour lock-down. No way to know until he pees again and then if he does, he'll get a full 48 hours. I love him, but he's so dumb.