Snyone get terrible back pain then throw up

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I first saw this thread, my immediate thought was kidney stones. I had them once (and OMG I never want them again!!) and the symptoms sound so much alike! My back was in screaming pain, just below my bra band and the nausea was awful! I couldn't stand upright without retching!

Sending all the good vibes I have to you in the hopes you are now over this and feeling much, much better!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

If it was a greasy meal, and it has happened before, you may need to get your gallbladder checked for disease and/or stones. When I had mine, it was a stabbing/cramping pain that went all the way through to my back, and felt surprisingly like a backache- an upperback ache, accompanied by nausea. It happened intermittently at the beginning. Usually they check it with just an ultrasound
Originally Posted by mews2much

I will ask the Dr about that. My Sister and Dad both had to have theirs out. My Sister was about 20 and my Dad was a few years ago. The pain is between my shouders and under my breast bone.
Gall stones were my first thought when I read the thread title. My bouts coincided with stones passing through the bile duct until that one that got stuck and sent me to the hospital and it was removed.

Hope you find a solution.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also thought kidney stones when I first read this, but then reading about the rash I thought Celiac. Its an alergey to gluten, and many of the symptoms mimic that of IBS.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Last night I had really bad back and stomach pain then I threw up so much. The last time it happened was about two years ago. I get back pain all the time but this is way worse.
One of my classic "shot in the dark" questions.

Did you get really nauseous? Lots of back pain, possibly moving to your stomach area, an probably more on one side than the other?

If any of these fit, my first guess: Kidney stone passing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was right in the middle top of my back and below the breast. I try to stay away from Gluten because it does make me sick.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Gall stones were my first thought when I read the thread title. My bouts coincided with stones passing through the bile duct until that one that got stuck and sent me to the hospital and it was removed.

Hope you find a solution.
Gah! Been there, done that twice- went septic (there's a name for it, but I don't remember it right now) with the last one and almost didn't make it (3 days in ICU, 14 days in the hosptial total).

It's definitely worth ruling out, especially if you have a family history of it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been having lots of back pain lately. I can't say that I've ever thrown up from back pain though. That being said there are pains that can be very nauseating. I remember when I broke my ankle (more like shattered it actually), the pain was so bad that I felt sick to my stomach. Another pain that does that to me are migraine headaches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do barf from my Migraines sometimes and have back pain all the time. This was another pain. Every time it has happened have have thrown up. the lst time was over a year go.