snick and jasper's integration thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah, yes, @mickNsnicks2mom...that change-over situation at the shelter does sound a little complicated, and I honestly forgot about the yearly vaccinations ideally being around the same time. I have gotten the annuals both early and late a few times, due to not paying attention to the reminder dates...not actually writing them down, on the calendar.

I'm hoping the new staff at the shelter, and new coordinator, are all caring people, and will probably be thrilled that Jasper has a loving permanent forever home.  Also having this shelter as a back up would be good.  Since even if you have your own vet, having other options, which are more cost effective is terms of vet services, or just vaccinations and contacts, even for second opinions and phone calls, is very helpful.

(When my animals were young, and healthy, I had found a place that only did cat and dog vaccinations, which were required by law, yearly, here in ontario, and which saved me over $40 dollars per animal. 

I had 2 cats and 1 dog...so the lower cost was very helpful.  But when I needed actual vet care, then I brought them to another clinic, closer to home, which I liked.  The vaccinations-only-place (and flea meds), also changed ownership...and ended up not being such a savings, so I switched to the closer vet.)

Saving money and having options, is what I always like...because as you say...something can always come up, for young and elder animals, too, ..so saving and putting money aside does help.  I also think it wise to phone around and just ask various vets about prices for things, even if I have a regular vet, since I never know how different prices are, and services offered, unless I ask.

I know that this will work out well, and I hope that Snick is doing as well as can be with her at-home/hospice care, and that Jasper will be official quite soon.
and an update, @Stewball.

i ended up calling my vet and making sure it would be okay to give jasper his shots a month early -- my vet said that for a healthy adult cat (not a kitten or a senior cat), it would be fine to vaccinate a month early. then i heard back from the shelter. they told me the same, that it would be fine to vaccinate jasper early, and that they'll call me back when they have their clinic dates and locations set. the vet's who do these clinics donate their services, and the days and locations of the clinics can vary, so the shelter has to get the dates and locations before they call me back. i'm hoping to hear back from them soon, but will call them tomorrow afternoon if i haven't heard back yet -- just to check on it. i know the clinics book up very quickly for the whole month, and i want to make sure that i get an appointment for jasper in one of may's clinic dates.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and an update, @Stewball
i ended up calling my vet and making sure it would be okay to give jasper his shots a month early -- my vet said that for a healthy adult cat (not a kitten or a senior cat), it would be fine to vaccinate a month early. then i heard back from the shelter. they told me the same, that it would be fine to vaccinate jasper early, and that they'll call me back when they have their clinic dates and locations set. the vet's who do these clinics donate their services, and the days and locations of the clinics can vary, so the shelter has to get the dates and locations before they call me back. i'm hoping to hear back from them soon, but will call them tomorrow afternoon if i haven't heard back yet -- just to check on it. i know the clinics book up very quickly for the whole month, and i want to make sure that i get an appointment for jasper in one of may's clinic dates.
will you adopt him at the same time?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness. I'll feel better knowing he's yours for keeps. :-)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness. I'll feel better knowing he's yours for keeps. :-)
me too! i'm anxiously awaiting the call back from the shelter with their clinic dates. i did call and leave a message there yesterday, but haven't heard back yet. i'm sure that's because they don't have the clinics dates/locations set quite yet for may.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me too! i'm anxiously awaiting the call back from the shelter with their clinic dates. i did call and leave a message there yesterday, but haven't heard back yet. i'm sure that's because they don't have the clinics dates/locations set quite yet for may.
Well it's only the 2nd May and the weekend. Hopefully next week you'll get a reply.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's only the 2nd May and the weekend. Hopefully next week you'll get a reply.
that's true. i would expect that the clinic dates and locations will be set sometime next week. i do feel a little more secure (until i can officially adopt jasper) because the shelter now knows that i'm planning on adopting him.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you!

it's a wonderful day for us all here!

jasper is just pooped from all the to-do this morning, and possibly from the annual shots too. i do think he may have thought that i was taking him back to the shelter to leave him there, even though i kept trying to reassure him by telling him 'we go together, and we'll come back home together'. but even so, jasper was a very good boy.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

it's 7 months 15 days after jasper came to us (snick and i) to be our foster, and today i signed the papers to make jasper's adoption official.

jasper is now in his furever home with snick and me!
This is Fantastic News!!  I am so happy for Jasper, and also for You and Snick.  @mickNsnicks2mom   This calls for some sort of cat celebration, but all I can do is dance right now. 

(I love that it is now official, and I was going to mention an idea I had before, but did not want you to think that I was making light of the situation.  If anyone was going to ask for jasper back, then I would have suggested that we find a look-a-like black and white cat, and pass him off as jasper.  They tried this idea on a t.v. show called 'three's company', when they thought they accidentally misplaced a kitten.  The kitten was safe, and they ended up with look-a-likes, and a 'pinto', black and white kitten.  Thankfully, now this crazy idea can be put to rest.)  Because "Jasper is now in his 'furever home'..."  I really like the sound of that.
  Congratulations, to You, Snick, and Jasper.  

thank you!

it's a wonderful day for us all here!

jasper is just pooped from all the to-do this morning, and possibly from the annual shots too. i do think he may have thought that i was taking him back to the shelter to leave him there, even though i kept trying to reassure him by telling him 'we go together, and we'll come back home together'. but even so, jasper was a very good boy.
The part about 'we go together, and we'll come back home together' brought a happy tear to my eye.
I think our cats always wonder why they have to go to the vet, and if we'll leave them, because my cats always meow, no matter if the ride is only 10-20 minutes or longer.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yaaaaaay!!!!!!  Such good news! I know you have been looking forward to this, & am happy the day has finally come!  Time to exhale & celebrate! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallelujah and thank goodness and I'm so relieved especially that you didn't wait till June. Yaaaaay :-):-):-):-):-)

Of course he was a good boy. He's got a special mummy.

Last edited by a moderator:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so happy it has worked out for all of you. I remember that you brought Jasper home the same week I brought Milo home.It has worked out well for my cats as well.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you, @cat nap!

snick and i have already been planning for jasper's 3rd birthday. it'll be his first birthday with us. snick and i discussed it (well, i discussed it with snick), and we agreed that our biggest gift for jasper would be adopting him. but i have another big gift for both jasper and snick, for jasper's birthday. i bought them both their own individual Forever Cat Scratchers (https://www.etsy.com/listing/170193..._query=forever cat scratcher&ref=sr_gallery_1). i've always felt it best to buy both cats gifts for each birthday, so there's no jealousy or fighting over a gift. i also many times buy two of items, so each cat has their own -- for the same reason. those forever cat scratchers are incredible! they're really very large (14" x 28"), and very attractive to be set out in our home. our jasper prefers horizontal scratching, while snick prefers vertical scratching. but i think both cats will really love these forever scratchers. so, we have been planning a big celebration for jasper.

haha, i like the finding a look-alike cat idea! my most creative yet totally unrealistic idea came when i was working on transportation for myself (i don't drive). it took researching quite a few unusual options for transportation, which when looked into thoroughly each option was found not to be legal in my state. the most creative yet totally unrealistic idea was a horse and buggy -- like the amish in my area use. apart from not having the space to properly care for a pony (i was thinking pony and cart), it's just not realistic to go shopping and leave your pony and cart parked outside the store here -- even the amish don't do that. but, it gave me a good laugh -- i've gotta see the humor in things.

i've always told snick and mickey (rip) that 'we go together, and we'll come back home together'. i hoped it would help to reassure them and comfort them when going to a vet appointment.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

thank you, @cat nap!

snick and i have already been planning for jasper's 3rd birthday. it'll be his first birthday with us. snick and i discussed it (well, i discussed it with snick), and we agreed that our biggest gift for jasper would be adopting him. but i have another big gift for both jasper and snick, for jasper's birthday. i bought them both their own individual Forever Cat Scratchers (https://www.etsy.com/listing/170193..._query=forever cat scratcher&ref=sr_gallery_1). i've always felt it best to buy both cats gifts for each birthday, so there's no jealousy or fighting over a gift. i also many times buy two of items, so each cat has their own -- for the same reason. those forever cat scratchers are incredible! they're really very large (14" x 28"), and very attractive to be set out in our home. our jasper prefers horizontal scratching, while snick prefers vertical scratching. but i think both cats will really love these forever scratchers. so, we have been planning a big celebration for jasper.

haha, i like the finding a look-alike cat idea! my most creative yet totally unrealistic idea came when i was working on transportation for myself (i don't drive). it took researching quite a few unusual options for transportation, which when looked into thoroughly each option was found not to be legal in my state. the most creative yet totally unrealistic idea was a horse and buggy -- like the amish in my area use. apart from not having the space to properly care for a pony (i was thinking pony and cart), it's just not realistic to go shopping and leave your pony and cart parked outside the store here -- even the amish don't do that. but, it gave me a good laugh -- i've gotta see the humor in things.

i've always told snick and mickey (rip) that 'we go together, and we'll come back home together'. i hoped it would help to reassure them and comfort them when going to a vet appointment.
@mickNsnicks2mom   I really like the first way you wrote up the "snick and i discussed it (well, i discussed it with snick)" part.  I honestly, can just picture that conversation.
That is so neat, that you get both cats their own birthday gifts.  My animals just get small Christmas gifts. I do like the look of that Forever Cat Scratcher, and it seems very practical.  For me the cost is a little high, with shipping, but at least they do ship to Canada. 

I had forgot to mention, in your other thread on wall furniture, that I really appreciate the links and design ideas.  I don't necessarily go out and try making them, but I stay on the lookout for deals.

Nice. Your Jasper is really going to have a great celebration, but yes, the biggest gift is the official adoption part.  I agree with @Angels mommy about the "time to exhale and celebrate"...it really does feel like a huge relief when all the paperwork, and vet stuff is out of the way.  And totally agree with Stewball, both cats really have a special mum and cat carer/companion.

Ahh, great to know that I'm not the only one with ideas that may be a little 'off the wall' or unusual.  I like your description of 'creative'. 

I don't really know anything about ponies, so I'm not sure why a pony and cart could not be tied up and parked outside of a store. My guess would be that they may take off or get stolen, but not sure.

But yes, I would imagine that taking care of a pony would be a lot of work, and feed to buy, so probably expensive, too.

I was thinking that an electric tricycle or an e-bike with three wheels, would be good for my elderly dad, when he's on holidays, and needs to go to the store, and does not want to walk, but there are probably road laws, insurance and theft to be concerned about, so that idea didn't get far.

So true, it's good if we see the humour in things, because our lives and our animal's lives are too short, to always be serious.  Wouldn't be much fun, then.

I just tell my animals that I won't leave them at the vet, but I like your words a whole lot better.