Smudge update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I'm glad I brought her home as well.

white cat lover - It's both eyes that need doing and this vet may not be able to fix her as she doesn't have much experience with this sort of condition. They primarily do spay and neuters at the shelter. I spoke to the ophthalmologist (gee that's a hard word to spell...) and they said they normally wait until they're older/bigger because at 3 months old, she'll grow a lot more and they don't want to do it if they don't need to, or if she grows more and they just have to redo it. So I don't know what will happen...

The spay doesn't worry me, this vet is awesome at spay and neuters, it's her little eyes I worry about!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is her:

You can see how squinty her eyes are, she's like that all the time.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

So Smudge has Entropion - an eye condition. The vet at the shelter I'm fostering her through said she doesn't have experience with Entropion, so would not want to just "have a go" at the surgery.

I just called a local opthalmologist and they said they generally wait until a kitten is 6-9 months old anyway because the eye changes as they grow so they want to wait until they're fully formed, and as well as that they can sometimes "grow out of it".

They also said the surgery costs $800-1000. Will anyone want to adopt a kitten who is going to need $1000 worth of surgery in 3-6 months time?

Do we want to adopt her knowing she's going to cost a whole lot of money soon? DH loves her, but doesn't really want 3 cats, and knowing how much she's going to cost isn't exactly going to win him over.

I don't know what to do
Oh, i wish I had the $1000 to give to you. When do you have to decide?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're keeping her and paying for it ourselves. We actually realised today that we have a bit of a windfall coming our way soon that was supposed to go into a savings account, so we can put some of that aside for Smudge. The world works in funny ways
So that takes some of the pressure off us!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been keeping up with Smudge's story and I am so happy at this turn of events. I'm glad your little girl has found a forever home!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We're keeping her and paying for it ourselves. We actually realised today that we have a bit of a windfall coming our way soon that was supposed to go into a savings account, so we can put some of that aside for Smudge. The world works in funny ways
Oh Sarah thats great news! Congratulations on your new baby girl!!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Thanks guys! Yes, he is a wonderful husband

As is usual, we were sitting on the couch, she jumped up, walked over me and snuggled up to him and nuzzled his face
I have no idea why she seems to prefer him but I'm not complaining!!!!!
She knows who needed convincing
. Congratulations on your new baby girl and I hope that she continues to thrive under your care.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny how it took me forever to realize I'd be keeping my two fosters, but it seems like they already knew it & everybody here did, too!

Congrats to you & Smudge! Let us know what the vet says about her eyes tomorrow!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thats wonderful news! I was hoping you would keep her!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so happy you are keeping her but somehow I think we all knew you would. And we are all so happy about it. Seeing as how we all have grown to love that little girl.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
way to go.............she is such a special little girl.......aww, love her to bits
I am so glad things are working out for you to keep her
you are right the world works in funny ways...........what goes around, comes around..........my gran used to say

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smudge is back at the shelter, and they're pretty sure they'll get to her spay today - it certainly looked a lot less busy in the clinic cages when I put her in.

I spoke to the vet as well, and she was saying she's pretty confident that she can't do the eye surgery herself - she just doesn't have the necessary tools to start with, but she'll probably get spayed still.

She also said she knows an ophthalmologist who has her own private practise as well, so will speak to her and push her shelter influence to see if she can do the eye surgery for cheaper. So I can ring in about 4 1/2 hours. Not that I'm counting down

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arghhhh they didn't get to spay her again because they had heaps of kitties, and the vaccination clinic happening. Unfortunately (and understandably) the shelter kitties get lower priority!

But the vet did look at her eyes and is going to try to get her in for a free/cheap ophthalmologist appt. to look at her eyes, and we can take her along, or they can find a way to get her there. They'll try to get her in early next week since we head to Australia next Wednesday for our holiday. But she did say that they're happy for her to stay with us while we're in Australia since our neighbours will be looking after our kitties in our house, and they agree she'll be happiest in our house with our girls. Phew!!

So, we keep waiting...

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm way too tired and must hit the sack now, but I read just your first and last posts. I'm not wuite sure what I'm missing in the middle, and I'm sorry, but I'm getting aheadache from being so tired!

So yeah, I'm very sorry about what I'm hearing. This sounds like a lot of annoying trouble, but I know Smudge and you can do it!