Slogans That Make No Sense (Or Do They?)

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today my Dad came out with "Last one in is a rotten egg!"

Which got me thinking. What are some phrases, slogans, etc. that you just don't know what their meaning is/was?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

How about

KNOCK ON WOOD
ahh i know what that one means...

wood and trees have always been credited with magical powers so to knoc on wood is to seal a spell or to draw good or lucky vibes from the wood.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spit it out. Ewwww... What does saying something that's hard to say have to do with spitting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ilovecats

Spit it out. Ewwww... What does saying something that's hard to say have to do with spitting?
Hey, you're coming up with some pretty good ones.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have laughed my off before I was born lol, because I've never had one, instead of calling me Lois the kids when I was young in grade school used to call me lowass lol, because I'm short 4'11" or because I had no ass, go figure

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i never understood waking up at a sparrows fart either
Hmmmm... I've never heard that one, but I'm compelled to take a guess at what it means. I think it means that you're such an alert and early riser that you could hear a sparrow fart and it would wake you up.

I remember one that I didn't know the true meaning of for years. I got it in a fortune cookie one day. It said: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." It had me baffled for awhile.