Sleeping With a 10 Pound Bag of Potatoes on Your Chest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have 20+ cats and our winters get very cold. I sometimes wake up completely numb from the waist down because they're all lying on top of me and they've cut off the circulation to my legs. Not funny when it's cold and dark and you really need to pee but you daren't risk the stairs until you can move your legs again.

LOL, oh no.  Please tell us you don't wear diapers so as not to risk falling.  I've had numb hands and arms but legs, that takes the cake.  

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed of how many cats you can fit into your beds, I'm starting to have difficulties getting into bed when two of mine has taken bed as theirs, it is no use to try to move them, overcooked pasta comes to mind, it is very difficult to move that heavy completely relaxed cat.

Slipping under is no go either, that results usually velcro effect to be activated.

It does not help that one insists having her cardboard box on leg end of the bed...
Overcooked pasta is a good description!  We say Wurp goes "boneless"...you try to use your feet to move him off your ankles, he just goes all floppy and refuses to move.  It's more like we have to slither him off to one side.  And of course then he is highly offended and proceeds to shake the bed washing for a while, then about the time we doze back off, he flops over our legs again!

I'm having withdrawals.....since we moved things around in the den, both cats have taken up residence on the loveseat.  It's one of those really overstuffed kind with the console in the middle, one gets on one side, one in the other seat.  They have been sleeping there recently instead of in the bed with us, and they sleep there in those spots most of the day as well now. They vacate it, of course, when we are in there in the evenings watching tv, much to their dismay.  We often have to move them to get our spots back.  

I told them last night my feelings were hurt! I don't know what has triggered the fascination with this loveseat.  They get up, prowl and plunder, eat, go visit the litterbox, and go straight back to the loveseat.  Sometimes they swap sides.  They must find it as comfy as we do.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Jon came up with a name for that boneless floppy feeling=SLINKY. He calls the Humbee Slinky. Because she does this relaxed boneless thing when she falls asleep on you and you turn over-she goes with you and sometimes her head is mashed into the bed and her butt is up on my hip...it's hilarious! One night Jon had to move my foot off her head-not sure why she was down by my feet but she was. Normally she drapes herself across my chest.

Last night I put the heat on low-woke up at 2am with a sack of potatoes on my chest..I covered her up with her other blanket with just her head sticking out-she started purring..I fell back asleep. Woke at 5:10 and she was causing trouble...she likes to chew plastic labels/bags-Jon has a label he wants to shred and he keeps putting it on the table which is HER table and she keeps grabbing it and takes off with it and sits and chews it. I admonished him for the 10th time this morning-telling him to THROW The darn thing out before she eats it. Tired of repeating myself..GRRR...but yes I was estatic to wake up to a warm bundle on me but I really had to use the bathroom...not sure how I did it-fell back asleep..then when I woke at 5ish I really had to go...

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed of how many cats you can fit into your beds, I'm starting to have difficulties getting into bed when two of mine has taken bed as theirs, it is no use to try to move them, overcooked pasta comes to mind, it is very difficult to move that heavy completely relaxed cat.

Slipping under is no go either, that results usually velcro effect to be activated.

It does not help that one insists having her cardboard box on leg end of the bed...
it all depends on the size of the cat. The Rogue, at his prime 20+ pounds, used to claim more than half of a queen size. I frequently had to move him just to get a chance at my pillow...  Sassy Josephine and me fit in there somewhere. 

Now it's just Sassy and me, and while she is in there - and only in there - she behaves like a stuffed animal that can be moved around but also purrs and tries to lick my face.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it all depends on the size of the cat. The Rogue, at his prime 20+ pounds, used to claim more than half of a queen size. I frequently had to move him just to get a chance at my pillow...  Sassy Josephine and me fit in there somewhere. 
Now it's just Sassy and me, and while she is in there - and only in there - she behaves like a stuffed animal that can be moved around but also purrs and tries to lick my face.
I guess also depends from size of the bed, my euro sized bed is only ~35 inches wide, which in US is probably emergency bed size, I love it how in your housing there is more square foot and beds are of more decent size. 94 x 94 inches is most of my bedroom , there is tiny entry way in addition to that (actually it is all of my heated space), probably less space than most RV's at new continent!

20 pounds is a lot of cat! :D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess also depends from size of the bed, my euro sized bed is only ~35 inches wide, which in US is probably emergency bed size, I love it how in your housing there is more square foot and beds are of more decent size. 94 x 94 inches is most of my bedroom , there is tiny entry way in addition to that (actually it is all of my heated space), probably less space than most RV's at new continent!

20 pounds is a lot of cat!
We (the 3 cats and I ) share a king sized bed which is 76 inches wide by 80 inches long. My biggest cat is about 10 pounds. The girls are between 5-6 pounds. They still manage to hog the bed or the 7 pillows on it. They sprawl out on the pillows so they each take up two. I often find myself laying across the top of the mattress because they have made themselves comfortable on the rest of the bed and God forbid they should have to move. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to weigh my cats.  I want to know!  They seem quite heavy.

I really needed to call in to work today.  I was lounging on the couch and Murphy came up and purred himself to sleep on my chest.  A few minutes later, Connor curled up on my middle and went to sleep.  Unfortunately, I don't think "cats are sleeping on me" is a valid excuse.  It should be!!!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*Hello, boss?  I can't come in today.  I have a heaviness in my chest.* 
I totally love that idea.  I actually don't have to go in for work - I work from home - but my work stuff is set up in the bedroom and John said it would be too much of a hassle to move the desk, computer, phone, etc to the living room just because the cats were comfy.  Rude!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally love that idea.  I actually don't have to go in for work - I work from home - but my work stuff is set up in the bedroom and John said it would be too much of a hassle to move the desk, computer, phone, etc to the living room just because the cats were comfy.  Rude!
It is incredible how some people just don't understand, so intolerable they are :D

I did install today new cat door, now I don't need to open door constantly, I though it was such a great idea, I don't have a bed anymore, there is this breathing mass of fur that has replaced it, who would of thought of such possibility? :smshfrk:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think 12 pounds is difficult, try it with a 25 pound purr ball.

Fortunately, he usually settles on my legs, not my chest

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL, oh no.  Please tell us you don't wear diapers so as not to risk falling.  I've had numb hands and arms but legs, that takes the cake.  
I definitely understand the numb legs bit, but it's just one cat. Sometimes I hate to make him get off, but I just have to.

MsPrudence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's discussions such as this one that makes me even more grateful that my cat is only 5 pounds and change! I'm her favorite bed and I barely notice she's there until I need to shift. [emoji]128568[/emoji]