Sleep and Insomnia

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert on detoxing, but I think that as some of the toxins are eliminated that you can actually feel worse than before. Then there is an improvement...but sorry that you are having such a hard time with the sleeping.
Thank you fionasmom fionasmom . I am now just on Milk Thistle. I have taken it before with no bad effects. You are right about detoxing, it can make insomia worse. Also, I am now on a diet and have reduced my calorie and fat intake and workout regularly. That change could be making things worse.

The good news is I got decent sleep last night. I will keep trying to get to bed earlier and break away from all electronics at least 2 hours before bedtime. I have to be very strict about this. I will share any improvements in hopes it helps others who are struggling as well. 🙂

@Thank you BellaGooch BellaGooch I got sleep last night!! :yess: Hopefully things get better when I continue on this diet exercise regimen (and my body gets use to it). 🙂

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear that. And I agree. It’s torturous.
If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to drink warm milk or just close my eyes and lay there, I’d be wealthy.
I tried working graveyard for many years and would sleep an hour or two for every 24 to 48. And the way sleep deprivation screws with the mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to drink warm milk or just close my eyes and lay there, I’d be wealthy.
Me too.
I tried working graveyard for many years and would sleep an hour or two for every 24 to 48. And the way sleep deprivation screws with the mind.
Oh wow. That definitely would mess with your mind. I’m sorry. 🤗
Only time I have issues sleeping is when something is on my mind. Been lucky so far.
Glad to hear that you’re sleeping well! 🤗

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
BellaGooch BellaGooch I got another night of decent sleep. I am going to keep tackling this problem. I am a week into my diet. I heard the first 6-8 weeks is when you lose the most weight or the weight comes off at a faster rate than when you are further on in the diet. So I don't want to miss that opportunity due to my sleep problems.

I hope your sleep is continuing to improve. Thanks for the 🙏, it is greatly appreciated.🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I had a dollar for every time someone told me to drink warm milk or just close my eyes and lay there, I’d be wealthy.
S silent meowlook I may not work a night shift, but I do understand what it is like going for days on end with very little to no sleep. It is absolutely torturous. It is so frustrating lying in bed and you just can't drift off to sleep. The brainwaves that make you drift off to sleep are not present. I have even been dead tired and STILL couldn't sleep. I wish more people understand the severity of this problem. I even cut down and gave up caffeine at times, and I still couldn't fall asleep. For those with chronic insomia, we are passed the stage of cutting down/cutting out caffeine or drinking warm milk. We need to get find the root cause(s) of our insomia. I am still trying to figure mine out. Best of luck to you. I hope you can start getting a good night's of sleep soon.🙂

John Perram John Perram That's great! I use to get decent sleep. How I missed those days. Hopefully, things will get better. Thanks for posting.🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
It has been awhile since I posted. I am still having my ups and downs with my sleep. I wanted to mention Histamine and sleep problems. This could be another reason for insomia, if too many histamines are produced--it causes a state of wakefulness. This is why many over the counter sleep aids and Allergy aids have Antihistamines in it. Your body could still be producing too much antihistamines and you may not realize it. While there are others with obvious allergies, yours might be more subtle. ***When I say yours, I mean in general. Someone may be reading this who may have this problem.***

THE ROLE Of HISTAMINES
Within the brain, histamine is responsible for regulating the cycle of sleeping and waking. Histamine is most active while we’re awake, and is more active during the phase of the sleep cycle that most closely resembles wakefulness than it is during deeper sleep. Histamine doesn’t just promote wakefulness in general, it also has an impact on the biological “clock” that regulates our circadian rhythm (the internal 24 hour cycle that tells us when to sleep, wake up, eat, etc.)

Improper or insufficient synthesis of histamine can lead to somnolence (excessive sleepiness), while ***excess histamine can lead to insomnia, a common problem among people who suffer from histamine intolerance.***

Histamine reaction may be caused by numerous allergens. Some of them include pollen, dust, animal dander, mold, and mites etc. In some people histamine reaction can be induced by certain foods.

In regards to the foods in general: fermented foods, citrus fruits, package meats, aged cheese, Legumes, and Alcohol are high in histimines.

The most common symptoms of excess histamine production is: Diarrhea, headaches, shortness of breath, and skin irritation. Hormone imbalance is also another symptom. Histamine intolerance effects a very small percentage of the population, but I thought it was still worth mentioning. For someone on this forum, this could be the cause or one of the causes of their sleep problems. You could get tested for allergies (environmental and food). Then talk to your doctor and take it from there.

I hope you found this helpful. I attached a few articles for further reading. 🙂
Histamine Intolerance: A Surprising Cause Of Inflammation | Dr. Will Cole
Fixing Sleep Challenges in Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and Histamine Intolerance

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been awhile since I posted. I am still having my ups and downs with my sleep. I wanted to mention Histamine and sleep problems. This could be another reason for insomia, if too many histamines are produced--it causes a state of wakefulness. This is why many over the counter sleep aids and Allergy aids have Antihistamines in it. Your body could still be producing too much antihistamines and you may not realize it. While there are others with obvious allergies, yours might be more subtle. ***When I say yours, I mean in general. Someone may be reading this who may have this problem.***

THE ROLE Of HISTAMINES
Within the brain, histamine is responsible for regulating the cycle of sleeping and waking. Histamine is most active while we’re awake, and is more active during the phase of the sleep cycle that most closely resembles wakefulness than it is during deeper sleep. Histamine doesn’t just promote wakefulness in general, it also has an impact on the biological “clock” that regulates our circadian rhythm (the internal 24 hour cycle that tells us when to sleep, wake up, eat, etc.)

Improper or insufficient synthesis of histamine can lead to somnolence (excessive sleepiness), while ***excess histamine can lead to insomnia, a common problem among people who suffer from histamine intolerance.***

Histamine reaction may be caused by numerous allergens. Some of them include pollen, dust, animal dander, mold, and mites etc. In some people histamine reaction can be induced by certain foods.

In regards to the foods in general: fermented foods, citrus fruits, package meats, aged cheese, Legumes, and Alcohol are high in histimines.

The most common symptoms of excess histamine production is: Diarrhea, headaches, shortness of breath, and skin irritation. Hormone imbalance is also another symptom. Histamine intolerance effects a very small percentage of the population, but I thought it was still worth mentioning. For someone on this forum, this could be the cause or one of the causes of their sleep problems. You could get tested for allergies (environmental and food). Then talk to your doctor and take it from there.

I hope you found this helpful. I attached a few articles for further reading. 🙂
Histamine Intolerance: A Surprising Cause Of Inflammation | Dr. Will Cole
Fixing Sleep Challenges in Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and Histamine Intolerance
Benydryl is my friend.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Benydryl is my friend.
I use to take over the counter sleep aids that have the same Antihistamine as Bendryl. Unfortunately, they stopped working for me a few years ago. I am not sure if it had to do with hormone changes or I developed some sort of intolerance to them. My insomia went into a whole other level after that. Just thought I share my experience. 🙂