Simon's Story: A Cat's Tail... "a life celebrated".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to your Simon. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thank you @jcat  but I actually haven't done a proper tribute for my baby.  In truth I've been spending time in the cat lounge, avoiding this thread at all costs.   Every time I go through photo's and start writing, I break down.  I'm just not there yet.

@Edwardthefirst- You Brits have  been on my mind.  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  A fish tank can be extremely entertaining for the human and for the cats.  It was so much fun watching Simon try to catch them through the glass.  I don't think he ever fully figured that one out.  I think about Eddie often.  

@MaggieMay  The Bundy's (clown loaches) were exactly like the characters in the show.  Peg would hang out on top of the brick catching food (like Peg and her bon bon's), Al, would go out and look for food, come back to the brick and get kicked out or they would all sleep on top of him, and Kelly and Bud, would clown around with the sharks, and their parents. LOL

Thanks again everyone.  I did come across some old videos of Simon that hubby will make compatible so I can view,  I can't think of what they were from, they were on my old Razor.  Thanks @GoHolistic, it was a great  idea checking out old memory cards.

Hopefully I'll get the strength to write about my baby.  It's still hard for me to chat about him.

I still say good morning and good night.

Chestnut has been a real sweetheart and beautiful diversion from reality.  She too every so often still looks out for him.  After I've been working on something my mind has been focused on, I find myself  looking at Simon's usual spots to see him there.  Then that sinking feeling hits me again, and I remember he's not here anymore.  It's strange, just strange.  No other way to put it.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.

While I still can't bring myself to write a worthy tribute to my sweet boy Simon, it's just too sad at this time.

It brings me great sadness to let you all know that @MaggieMay  lost Lexi today.

Lexi was the sweet girl of MaggieMays daughter, @DittyBitty.

Sweet girl Lexi today after a long battle with cancer. 

Lexi was scheduled for additional tests next week, but as it turned out, her poor little body just couldn't take anymore.  After spending the night in the comfort of her mommy's arms, this morning it was clear Lexi needed to be free to scamper across the clouds with the other angels we've lost.  

I hope that Simon has found Lexi and finally has a REAL Girlfriend.  There may be a strong possibility that Simon is fighting over her with Lamont and Eddie. LOL  We can only hope.

@MaggieMay  started a thread in crossing the bridge if you would like to lend a few words of comfort, I have not doubt they would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone.

While I still can't bring myself to write a worthy tribute to my sweet boy Simon, it's just too sad at this time.

It brings me great sadness to let you all know that @MaggieMay  lost Lexi today.

Lexi was scheduled for additional tests next week, but as it turned out, her poor little body just couldn't take anymore.  After spending the night in the comfort of her mommy's arms, this morning it was clear Lexi needed to be free to scamper across the clouds with the other angels we've lost.  

I hope that Simon has found Lexi and finally has a REAL Girlfriend.  There may be a strong possibility that Simon is fighting over her with Lamont and Eddie. LOL  We can only hope.

@MaggieMay  started a thread in crossing the bridge if you would like to lend a few words of comfort, I have not doubt they would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you.
Lexi was brave as can be and hung on for her mom, @DittyBitty  as long as she possibly could.  Fly free, sweet baby Lexi.  I love the idea of Simon and Lexi!  She's much more beautiful than Simon's former "girlfriend," Hope.    Thank you for this, you dear, dear girl.  There's not a doubt in my mind that Lexi is being courted at this very moment by Simon, Lamont and Eddie.  How could she help but love them all, those cheeky boy cats, as Kate calls them?  I'm sure these two would agree - @nerdgirl5  and @Edwardthefirst

dittybitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone.

Thank you.
Aw, thank you for this sweet post...if Simon has eyes for Lexi, he certainly has my approval !  She is a looker and so is he.

I'm just so thankful that I got to spend the past 2 nights with her in my arms and work from home yesterday, so she was right by my side all day...she's been my girl for 16 years but the bond we formed over the past 3 months has been the most amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything...I wish it had not been over such horrid circumstances but am so very thankful for the special moments we shared during this time...cancer is the devil !

My heart goes out to each and every one of you that have babies that are fighting or have fought some sort of battle...they are such precious gifts from God and I will be forever thankful and forever grateful that He put them in m life.

It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, in recent days I had been thinking, what have I got to be "Thankful" for this Season - Health is okay, Roof over my head, Husband pretty fantastic, blah, blah, blah -  Even though it's been sad, I know Simon isn't in pain and did manage to die with his little paw in my hand, during the wee hours of a cool summer morning and most of all I still had my sweet girl Chestnut to let me squeeze and love her.

Along with those thoughts, what had always entered when thinking about this question was - I'm thankful for the TCS community, honestly, I'm not brown nosing, I just can't help but remember how much you all helped me at the start of 2016, beginning with my sweet girl Chestnuts crystal issues to then finding out that my sweet boy Simon had cancer, and then all the support after his death on June 7th, I really can't thank you enough and will always remind you from time to time at what beautiful people you all are.

Since Simon's death, I've found it hard to write about him, and have expressed to a few of you that I was going to concentrate on my sweet girl Chestnut, and that I wrote her a New Cats on the Block introduction since she never had a proper one.  But there was something that always held me back from posting it.  I've had it written in my drafts since the summer but couldn't bring myself to post it, feeling like something bad would happen if I did, then she'd get sick and better again, and I'd go to post it, but stopped again, this has been on going ever since and then just a day ago, I got a PM from @Edwardthefirst, and she said that a new kitty came into her life and was wondering if I did the same yet and asked how Chestnut was doing.  I said same old health issues and as soon as we can get a handle on the food issue, we'll see about a sweet companion for her.  I told her that I was writing about Chestnut but hadn't posted it yet.  Then yesterday again I got busy and didn't post it and I'm glad I didn't. 

Today at 2:15 my sweet Chestnut passed away from a heart attack - in my arms

Chestnut was originally adopted for my dad, then after he died a few years later she came with us.  My dad lived downstairs from us so we took care of her just the same, she just lived with him. The poor girl saw my dad suffer from 3 strokes and then the big one, so anytime she heard a thump she was very concerned one of us was on the floor.  She came to live with us December 1st 2011.  And even though Simon was an only "child" and didn't like my dad or Chess, and even though, in the past when we'd bring Chestnut upstairs she'd cry.  The night we brought her up, the two cats just looked at each other and knew they'd have to get along.  Chestnut looked around and didn't beg to go back downstairs, and Simon looked at her and just went his own way.

The two have never been close.  I think Chestnut could take or leave Simon and didn't mind him and would often lay by his side until he'd get up and leave.  Simon was the snobby brat, which I created and from time to time would let Chestnut know who's place this was. LOL.

below - Chestnut looking at the fish for the first time and Simon looking at her like "what is that".  LOL

I suppose in the end what I'm thankful for most is the fact that she didn't pass on Thanksgiving when we were away for the day.

I am thankful that she passed in my arms.  I held her for a long while after, and even brushed her.  I have her bundled in her "box" that she loved to sleep in.  

We'll take her to the vets in the morning.  Unfortunately hubby is working nights this week.

Wow, this is so crazy.  She was so lovable - my hubby used her a his pillow and she was my sofa buddy.

Anyway, I needed to get that out.  There's more I'd like to write but need to process this emotion once again.

I will admit, I'm very sad, but I'm not surprised as she's been sick for a while now, and her poor little heart couldn't take the strain.

Thank you for allowing me to express myself.  NoCats4everLoved...  I confess, when I chose my user name last year, knowing that my Chestnut was sick, made me leery.  Oh well, I need to cry now, I'll be good, it's just sad.

My sweet girl Chestnut

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, what sad, sad news!  I am so sorry to hear this about Chestnut.  I've been wondering recently how she was doing, knowing that she had health problems, but I didn't realize they were this serious.  What comfort it must have been to her, though, to be in the arms of her beloved human when she passed.  You took such good care of that dear girl.  It just seems so unfair that you should lose both Simon and Chestnut so close together - my heart goes out to you.  

RIP most beautiful Chestnut 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, I'm so, so sorry :( I was not at all expecting to see that for some reason when I started reading this. Was it just a sudden thing or a result of the illness?

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG!  This is a shocker!! And so so terrible to read. I knew she had some health issues. I didn't realize they were this serious.  

I am so sorry to hear this. Please accept my deep condolences.

RIP beautiful Chestnut. 

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Hope.  I am so full of sorrow reading this.  My heart breaks for you.  I have had such a busy fall I haven't been on here much, but I had to sign in and let you know how very sorry I am and that you're in my prayers.  Bless you, sweetie.  It's been a very hard year.  Little Chestnut was a much loved girl, and I'm sure she knew that.  Thoughts and prayers for you and for your husband, Chestnut's daddy.  

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, I'm so, so sorry
I was not at all expecting to see that for some reason when I started reading this. Was it just a sudden thing or a result of the illness?
I wasn't expecting it either.  She had been very sick about 3 weeks ago or so, and the uti and crystals cleared somewhat, and again, we were getting ready for her to go to the vets after all my tests were done and I finished last week.  I'm thinking that not much would have been able to be done.   Chestnut is a pretty good jumper for her weight but the getting down part always put tremendous pressure on her front shoulders and her wrists?  not sure if they're called wrists but Chess was so chubby that she walked as if she was walking on hands, I've always seen kitties walking on their toes. LOL

Anyway, while she had been sick, she was making progress and beginning to start playing with us and on her own.  She loved, loved loved sleeping up at my hubby' head and was his personal pillow, while she purred us to sleep.  No matter how loud the planes making their landings, Chestnut's purrs were louder.

I know for a fact we'll get another cat, possibly two.  I'd like to adopt a cat who's owners have passed.  Or I guess I should just let it happen naturally as it did with my sweet girl.

I did have a friend ask if I'd get another, and I say, yes, why have 2 kitties in jail, when we have the space here.  We did it before, we'll do it again.  Not sure when though, but it will happen.

@Marg  - I think she had other issues than the obvious.  They never really took her congestion into account and the mud like buildup in her ears.  They always concentrated on her UTI and said no fish, and said to feed her the SO.  But she really needed to lose weight and they never took a good look at her heart.  There were other things too that never added up - she never had a hairball, she really didn't clean too much being she couldn't reach much but still only once she spit up after Simon died.

I have to look at the calendar I kept on her.  Such a strange feeling.  I can't even say how sweet and loving she was.  She had a spunky side to her but rarely showed it.

Thank you once again.

dittybitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope, I am so very sorry to hear of Chestnut's passing! I haven't been on here much since I lost Lexi, but I have continued to pray for you guys and you have been on my mind a lot lately!  A lot within the past week actually.  Continued prayers for you and your husband.  
 RIP sweet girl !

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you. Truly I had tears in my eyes when I read the news. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your darling Chess...and so soon after your Simon. What a gift that she was in the safety of your loving arms as she began her journey across the Rainbow Bridge. Take comfort in knowing that Chestnut is free from pain and suffering and is at peace.
I love your plan to open your home and heart to another furry soul in need of love. I can't think of a better way to honor sweet Chestnut.

[emoji]128149[/emoji]RIP Sweet Girl Chestnut[emoji]128149[/emoji]