Simon: Freak, or freakishly intelligent?

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Simon walks on a leash well. We discovered that last Tuesday when we went to the vets and then the pet store.

But now, I'm beginning to think he's possessed.

~He got a prescription for Drontal, and I offered him the pill. He took it from my hand, and ate it. I immediately gave him a treat, because that's a behavior I'd like to encourage.

~Late the other night, I was in bed. I awoke to the sounds of a flushing toilet. As I live alone, I immediately questioned whether or not I had actually heard it, and, if so, what sort of criminal would break into my house to use the toilet. After listening to it drain away, I got up, and looked around the door to the potty. Simon was there, apparently flushing the toilet...his two front paws were on the handle, and he was attempting to do it again.

~Another toilet thing...Simon likes to play in water. He'll take his toys, and drop them into the toilet bowl, then fish them out and bring them to me. On occasion, I've had to fish out a scrunchie he's deposited in the potty...and on more than one occasion, I've had a mysterious blockage....obviously I've not spotted something, used the potty, and flushed away a toy or a scrunchie.

~Telephones. Simon has become enamoured with the house phone answering machine, turning it on and off, usually when someone is trying to leave a message. He's displaced the phone handle several times, as well. And with my cell phone, if it's in my purse when it rings, Simon will go to my purse, dig through it, and pull out my cell. He has nosed it open, as well. It had already gone to VM, which is good, I suppose, but still. He also gets on my lap and he will merooooow into the phone's mouthpiece, regardless of my face being there. Always, the person on the other end asks: "Just what in heck was that!!!" so I have to explain it's my kitten.

~Conversations. He says something, I answer, he says something again, and I answer. I will ask him where is Pie or Esse, and he'll go right to where they are. Then he'll come back to me and merooooow, "Look, Mom, I found them!"

And so on.

Simon is just under 6 months old....

I've decided he's freakishly intelligent, but this is just a bit scary. Just thought I'd share about Simon again...

Best-
Michele

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! You need to videotape your cat doing all these amazing things.

I'm envious. He's a beautiful Snowshoe and a genius to boot! You are so lucky!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people would say he is the reincarnation of someone who loves to talk, and loves the sound and feel of water. A beach bum?

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm impressed... I think he's pretty darn intelligent! I like the cell phone trick - I can never find my own cell in my purse, do you think he could teach it to Baylee for me?

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
intellegent!!! what a clever boy you are Simon - although please be careful or your gonna scare your Mum - especially with that toliet flushing in the middle of the night

now if you tell me he actually uses the toliet - then I am gonna be worried

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

I wouldn't be worried... didn't you learn you never look a gift horse in the mouth!

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

intellegent!!! what a clever boy you are Simon - although please be careful or your gonna scare your Mum - especially with that toliet flushing in the middle of the night

Some cats use the toilet. I used to have a cat that learned how to use the toilet all by herself.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - we do underestimate their inteligance, don't we!!! He sound Special!!!! What a lovely boy you have! My Loki also holds conversations with me which can go on as long as I let it!!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats who talked back and cats who used the toilet but never one that FLUSHED it. That is scary! Some men are bad at doing that - but I always preferred cats, anyway.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot, if you could teach him to use the toilet and then flush after you'd be one lucky girl.. yeesh! I'm jealous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But you see, that's just it. I haven't taught him anything other than the leash. Not another thing. I don't know the first thing about training a cat, either.

So all this has been on his own discovery, his own intelligence, his own initiative, and his own curiousity.

Maybe I *should* start training him. Either that, or perform an exorcism.

Someone mentioned testing his cat iq. Is there such a thing, and how would I go about doing it? I'd be curious to know.

Best-
Michele

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it would work backwards on Simon - if you were to actually go out of your way to train him, he might lose interest and just become a cat... and why mess with what's working for ya? If he's answering your phone for ya or taking pills right out of your hand, I say those are two things that could come in handy!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean "just become a cat" in a bad way mind you, I just meant it in the way that Baylee just sleeps all day, runs away from the phone, fights me when she needs a pill and has no interest in the toilet, other than trying to get in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I didn't mean "just become a cat" in a bad way mind you, I just meant it in the way that Baylee just sleeps all day, runs away from the phone, fights me when she needs a pill and has no interest in the toilet, other than trying to get in.
Of course you didn't mean anything bad with that comment. And I honestly think Simon won't take a pill again by himself - that would be far too much to ask.

OTOH, he has decided to be a mailman when he grows up.

How do I know this?

I've often wondered why the mail would be strewn about the entry (it's a door slot). I've always figured it was one of the kitties, but didn't realize Simon tries to deliver me the mail until this evening. While I was at the computer (in the front room, near the front door), Simon went to the mail slot, and, because there are all sorts of circulars today, it was still protruding from the slot. Simon went to the door, stood up on his back legs, took some mail in his mouth, came back down, and tried to bring the envelopes and circulars to me. About halfway over he dropped them, because he kept stepping on the dangling pieces.

So now I know why the mail is often all over the place, and I know what he wants to be when he grows up. The mailman.

Sigh.

This is one heck of an adventure. I wonder what he's going to do next??? Run the vaccuum or do up the laundry would be helpful...

Best-
Michele

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha - cute little mailman Simon! That's too funny... maybe he'll try to help you generally tidy up the place or something.

Either way, you HAVE to let us know!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say you have a very intelligent cat. Perhaps he really is a reincarnation of a human in a former life.

Have you thought of looking into getting him involved with TV commercials? He sounds like a prime candidate.

His actions are truly amazing. If I were you, I would actually document some of his actions. You have a very unique boy there.