Signing Lease, Another cat?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are signing our lease for another year for our apartment. I was reading through it, and under the pet section - it states that "Cats are allowed, but residents will be responsible for any damage that is caused by a cat".

So... my question, it does not state that we cannot have more than ONE cat in an apartment. Right?

We are about 99.9% sure that we will be getting another cat (John's mom's cat is pregnant) and due probably in about a month or so - and we really want to get Harley a buddy.

My question - since the lease does not state how many cats a tenant can have, do you think I have to inform my rentor that we are getting another cat? I don't think they even know that we have Harley. Everyone in the buildings in this area (There are about 10 buildings) all have cats, but I think they all only have one.

What do you think? I just want to be a good tenant!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It says 'cats are allowed' so I can't see it being a problem
Thats exactly what I thought! Its not like Harley is trashing the place - we keep it very nice and tidy and whatnot - so its not like another kitty is going to make it any worse!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

I've seen many people renting apartments have at least 2 cats.

I say go for it!
I have too - I just get ultra worried - I don't want to upset the management.

It just doesn't state that you can't have more than one, so I figured it would be okay!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in a big complex and it said cats were allowed, so I just quietly got one and then another. One person below me had three!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartement lease says cats allowed but when you read the fine print it says one PET per househole. Well I have 6 cats plus a bunch of other small animals...everyone here has multiple animals in their apartments. Some have 2 large dogs and a few cats. It doesn't appear theat the management cares unless your cats are causing problems, or stinking things up or if they are outside, unfortunately many of them are, then they get mad if your cats get into garbage and things like that.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well if it says 'cats allowed' and not 'a cat is allowed', then i guess you can have more than one

But if you are worried at all about it then contact your landlord for confirmation. There's nothing worse than fretting over something that can be sorted with a 'phone call

I dont suppose that you have got as far as a name for your, hopeful, new baby

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can double check with your landlord and find out.
But if the lease does mention that "cats are OK" (in more legal terms of course), then go for it!
We had 3 cats in our last apartment! Many people have 2.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

Do you have to pay a security deposit for having cats? Does it say so much per animal?
Nope - it doesn't say that. Just that if there are damages, they will take the money out of our security deposit!

We are so excited about getting a new kitten. We have thought this thru for about 6 months now, I think we've almost made our decision, I hope everything goes okay and we can still get Harley a buddy!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that just the wording of that sentence is enough to clear you for more than one cat.
Here, we are supposed to be paying extra rent and an extra deposit. We aren't. Our neighbors downstairs have three cats, and they're not paying for them either. Thing is, we aren't trying to hide them at all. When someone comes to repair something, they'll pet Zissou,play with her, but never ask if we're paying the extra rent, even though we don't have the special sticker.

I would ask. If you aren't already doing anything you aren't supposed to (like I am) then no harm can be done by asking. Especially if you have somebody else ask for you, like have a friend call and pretend to be interested in leasing a place sometime in the future, and say he has two cats, and see what the landlord says.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just quietly get another cat. I know a lady that had only red tabby cats, so unless you really knew them, you would think they were the same cat. Maybe you could get a kitten with similar colorings as Harley.
Maybe you have not seen them, but it is pretty unlikely that in 10 buildings that allow cats, that everyone has only one.
Good luck in getting Harley a buddy!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've read through the lease completely, and that is the only statement regarding pets, or the number of pets allowed, and there is no pet deposit required, you are allowed to have more than one cat. You're not doing anything wrong by getting another cat, or not telling management. If the management cared, believe me, their lease would have specified so! I say get your kitten if you want to!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

If you've read through the lease completely, and that is the only statement regarding pets, or the number of pets allowed, and there is no pet deposit required, you are allowed to have more than one cat. You're not doing anything wrong by getting another cat, or not telling management. If the management cared, believe me, their lease would have specified so! I say get your kitten if you want to!
Thats what I thought too! Harley hasn't caused any damage (except the patio door screen, which is completely fixable, and we will be replacing the screen this summer). So its not like another little kitten will do any harm - hopefully it will calm Harley down a bit so he's not so wild!

I'm so excited to get the new baby! John's mom's cat should be having her kittens in about 3 weeks! Oh believe me, I'll be taking PLENTY of pictures!

She's SO pregnant, and so big, I feel so bad for her. They are getting her fixed after she has her litter - and if they don't - I'm going to be taking her in MYSELF and paying for it! This is her 2nd litter, and they just won't take the $$ to get her fixed

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
most buildings and complexes legally allow one or two pets. Some are stricter than others... but the limitations are usually for if you have dogs... you don't want a place to have several large dogs in a complex. Personally I consider it inhumane to have more than one large dog in a small apartment... poor pups.

One thing I found while looking and calling out in Portland is that they want a pet interview... I asked one management company about this. It's only for dogs. To make sure the dog is friendly.

I think a limit on cats is really in place to prevent cat collectors. My dad says it's also one way that if they don't like you and you have more than the 'recommended number' of pets... even if they're quiet pets... they can use that excuse to evict you.

The wording of the lease is not clear. You should ask the landlord. Most are okay with a second cat... but I'd ask to be sure. Ask for clarification on the lease, if nothing else.

Amanda

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I would just quietly get another cat. I know a lady that had only red tabby cats, so unless you really knew them, you would think they were the same cat. Maybe you could get a kitten with similar colorings as Harley.
Maybe you have not seen them, but it is pretty unlikely that in 10 buildings that allow cats, that everyone has only one.
Good luck in getting Harley a buddy!
I agree. When we got Emma we didn't tell our landlord, and he was never in there so he never found out. We had to give part of our deposit back because Oliver trashed some blinds, but other than that there were no problems.

I'd say just do it. There's an old saying "It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission"

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

I'd say just do it. There's an old saying "It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission"
Our landlord NEVER in our apartment either - and I agree with the saying - that definately is true! I get so worried about asking, cuz I always think that they will say no way, and then I'll be sad, cuz I really think Harley needs a buddy