Sick Foster Cat Mum and Struggling Kittens

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to feed them. I think it is quite literally a matter of life and death.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wait.  Feed the kittens.  The milk needs to be warmed up.  Warmer than room temp but not boiling.  The kittens cannot digest cold food.  The mom will benefit from a dish of the goats milk as well.

Supplementing the kittens will not harm them, but not feeding in time could be fatal.  Ignore the other two. You are the one looking at the kittens and seeing the need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens MUST be fed every 2 hours around the clock, as I've said in an earlier post.

I do not understand why there are 3 fosters involved. Do you all share housing? How frustrating to have to ask them if you can feed starving kittens.

If not fed, the kittens will die.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, I have an update.

First though, sarthur2, It was originally just one foster which was NOT me. The cat and kittens are under her name, not mine, though we had agreed to work together on this. I then became the main carer as the kittens are in the room attached to mine while the others are on the other side of the house. Either way, when foster kittens come into family homes, it is natural that everybody wants to have an input and that's what happened. It is frustrating when people act like they know just as much and more than you about cats and kittens when that is not the case, and they are convinced they are right in matters such as this.

Now, I have fed all the kittens a bit of the goats milk, though it was definitely difficult to get the milk from the syringe into their mouth. They're so wriggly! Mumma cat has also just laid down to nurse again after a very good meal (that included some milk :) ) which is quite surprising.

I have also called the shelter and the person answering was luckily a thousand times friendlier than this morning! It seems the other one had no idea about cats at all. I now have an appointment at the vet clinic in which they will give us meds for the whole cat family to help with their flu. The person on the phone also explained the urgency of this situation to my fellow carers so we are finally on the same page.

The kittens are a lot more settled now and have gained 2 grams each (except for Rosey :/) in the last few hours. Things are looking up for now. The shelter does want me using 'real' KMR, but they said they would provide enough to last until my online order comes in. 

Thank you so much to everyone for the quick responses and wonderful input. It has really helped a lot!!

I'll send an update on how things go with the meds and bottle feeding. :)

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got this worked out. Do you know if mom is cleaning them and licking their bottom are?. This is also important to get them to go. Its really easy to do if she isnt. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's a relief to know they are feeding well from mom, and that you have a vet appointment to treat their cat flu. And thank you for explaining the foster situation. Glad your fellow fosters now understand the urgency.

Kittens with a mom will almost always fight a bottle, because the only nipple they want is mom's. However, syringing works well, edpecially if you wrap the kitten in a towel like a burrito so they cannot squirm during the feeding. It does sound as though Rosey needs regular supplementing so that she can begin gaining weight. Kittens should ideally double their birth weight in the first week of life.

Do continue to update us on their progress and ask any questions.

Last edited:

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Louann, I have been cleaning and toileting the kittens since they came into our care. It was clear that mumma cat wasn't doing it as the kittens were covered in pee and poo (some dry enough to have been over a day old!). 

Thanks sarthur2, for all of your advice so far. I will continue to update and let you know how they go. At the moment, they are definitely not on track to double their weight (they will be one week old tomorrow), one of them has barely reached the ideal birth weight! Many people have told me they have very little chances but I refuse to focus on anything but the chance that they have got.  :)

And yes, feeding is a struggle. Burrito Kitten is the only method that allows me to at least get something in! :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Louann, I have been cleaning and toileting the kittens since they came into our care. It was clear that mumma cat wasn't doing it as the kittens were covered in pee and poo (some dry enough to have been over a day old!). 

Thanks sarthur2, for all of your advice so far. I will continue to update and let you know how they go. At the moment, they are definitely not on track to double their weight (they will be one week old tomorrow), one of them has barely reached the ideal birth weight! Many people have told me they have very little chances but I refuse to focus on anything but the chance that they have got.  :)

And yes, feeding is a struggle. Burrito Kitten is the only method that allows me to at least get something in! :)
You go girl!  You are an excellent foster mom.  These kittens should do very well in your care.  As StefanZ said, you have good instincts.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Elena, in the longer run, you shall avoid such situation.  Ie, dont cooperate with ignorant persons whom pretend they know, etc...

If the situation were any other, the kittens and mom not being the hostage, the solution would be easy.  Just get out from there...  Abandon the sinking ship.

As its now, you must fight on, to try and save this family.   It seems better now, and now they do have a fighting chance.  But 10 hours ago the Angel of Death was clearly visible hovering in the foster room, impatiently waiting.   He is still nearby, but he has at least sat down now, not longer as eager nor sure for his fetch.

Red alert is more of yellow alert. But alert is on yes.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please continue to be the one in charge of this family. You come across as having good comon sense and understand when you need help and advice and also understand the best place to get such advise, TCS! The fact that you are taking heed of what TCS is telling you to do to save this family speaks volumes!! Just know you are in good hands here and continue the good fignt to victory!! (Sorry, I got carried away). We all will be keeping tract and are in your corner.

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement. With the goats milk and later KMR, Rosey gained a lot of weight (she loves the KMR! Takes the bottle easily!). Unfortunately, i feel that the flu is getting the better of her, and one of her Brothers, Flick.This morning I noticed that they were both breathing through their mouths.This made it really difficult to get them to feed - it's now a drop of milk, with a medical dropper, at a time. She's only managed 3mL in the last 6 hours and Flick only 1mL. I'm trying not to beat myself up but i honestly feel like I'm failing them...
I've tried using one of those steamer thingys (sorry, no idea what it's called) to free their nasal passage but it hasn't helped.
On the other hand, the other two kittens are doing well and actually nursing on mum quite a lot (the meds against the flu seem to have made her very sleepy so they have more opportunity). Rosey and Flick just lay on her belly opening and closing their mouths to breathe and don't even attempt to find a teat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried holding them in a steamy bathroom?  That's worth a try.  Just make sure they don't get chilled.  While they are in the precarious of a state I think you should try to feed them every hour, a bit at a time.

Hope some of the meds kick in!

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Flick is really struggling. On the upside, The two bigger ones have gained weight and, best of all, Rosey had the biggest bottle feed not long ago and has now regained the 8 grams she'd lost overnight!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This does not sound promising at all. They sound very ill to me.

Are they also on meds? If not, they may need their own, and ASAP.

Are you hearing a clicking noise when they breathe at all? I'm concerned as to whether they have fluid in their lungs. If they do, they will probably not make it.

I agree that a steamy bathroom may help. You may be in for a long night, as you have to continue to try to get drops of KMR into them.

If they survive the night, they need to see the vet immediately tomorrow. Please keep them warm at all times.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can smear some honey on Flick's gums to see if it will perk him up.

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rosey cannot breathe anymore. A vet came by and we were told to let her go. She is weak, unresponsive and really struggling to breathe despite having gained her weight back and feeding pretty well. The vet said it would be cruel to keep pushing her now...

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rosey cannot breathe anymore. A vet came by and we were told to let her go. She is weak, unresponsive and really struggling to breathe despite having gained her weight back and feeding pretty well. The vet said it would be cruel to keep pushing her now...
I'm sorry to hear it poor girl :(